Mumbai, July 4: Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik, who is facing charges of inciting communal violence through his hate speeches, has dismissed the reports of returning to India.
The news of my coming to India is totally baseless and false. I have no plans to come to India till I don’t feel safe from unfair prosecution. Insha Allah when I feel that the government will be just and fair, I will surely return to my homeland, Naik said in a statement.
The news of my coming to India is totally baseless and false. I have no plans to come to India till I don't feel safe from unfair prosecution. Insha Allah when I feel that the government will be just and fair, I will surely return to my homeland: Zakir Naik statement (File pic) pic.twitter.com/mrM8ApGAnv
— ANI (@ANI) July 4, 2018
Speaking to Media, Zakir Naik’s lawyer stated, “This news is absolutely false and baseless as he (Zakir Naik) is not coming to India today. As far as extradition process is concerned, it was earlier reported that Indian Govt has initiated extradition proceedings but there has been no progress”.
Reacting to reports of the Islamic preacher being brought to India today from Malaysia, NIA Spokesperson Alok Mittal said “We have no such information as of now. We are verifying it”.
Naik is wanted in India for inciting communal violence through his hate speeches. A criminal case was registered against him by the NIA following an order by the Union Home Ministry which also banned his Mumbai-based Islamic Research Foundation (IRF).
Naik came under the scanner of security agencies after it was revealed that two ISIS militants involved in the 2016 Dhaka cafe terror attack were his followers and inspired by his sermons.
The controversial preacher had left India in 2016 after his name was mired in terror-related cases. As the reports, he is in Malaysia since then.
The Malaysian government has also granted him a permanent residency of the country.