Connect with us

World

World’s longest non-stop flight set to depart from Singapore

Published

on

Singapore airlines

Singapore, Oct 11: A Singapore Airlines flight from Singapore to New York, deemed as the world’s longest non-stop flight, is set to take off on Thursday.

Singapore Airlines is relaunching the service five years after they withdrew it because it had become too expensive, reports the BBC.

It will cover more than 15,000 km and is scheduled to take just under 19 hours.

Singapore Airlines said there was a demand by customers for non-stop services which help cut travelling times compared with flights which have a stopover.

The airline told the BBC that business class seats for the flight were fully booked.

However, there were “a very limited number” of premium economy seats left.

The airline is not planning to offer any economy bookings on the route.

A business class ticket will entitle passengers to two meals, and the choice of when they are served, plus refreshments in between. They will also have a bed to sleep in.

Premium economy fares will get three meals at fixed times, with refreshments in between.

The brand new Airbus plane that SIA is using has been configured to seat 161 passengers in all – 67 business passengers and 94 premium economy passengers.

Qantas launched a 17-hour non-stop service from Perth to London earlier this year, while Qatar runs a 17.5-hour service between Auckland and Doha.

IANS

World

Putin warns US over deploying missiles in European nations

Published

on

vladimir putin

Moscow, Feb 20 (IANS) Russian President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday said he would deploy missiles capable of striking the US if Washington decides to station missiles in European nations within striking distance of Russia.

Giving his annual address to the Parliament, Putin said he was not looking for a confrontation with the US and nor would his country be the first to deploy missiles once Donald Trump’s administration completes the process of withdrawing from the Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty.

But he warned of tit-for-tat measures in the case of an escalation by Washington, Efe news reported.

“Russia would be obliged to manufacture and station weaponry that could not only be used against territories where the direct threat comes from but also decision-making centres,” Putin told lawmakers. “We know how to do it and we would put these plans into effect as soon as such a threat became a reality,” he added.

Russia announced it would withdraw from the INF at the beginning of February following Washington’s unilateral decision to break away from the pact, a process that is set to be completed in six months’ time. Either country can backtrack during that period.

Washington and Moscow both accuse each other of breaching the agreement.

The INF Treaty was signed in 1987 between the then Soviet Union and the US on the elimination of intermediate-range and shorter-range missiles.

Putin previously said that Russia’s response to the US withdrawal would be “symmetrical” but that nevertheless, Moscow would still refrain from deploying weapons with a range between 500 km and 5,500 km in European Russia and other global regions, so long Washington also agreed not to.

The Russian President questioned Washington’s justifications for pulling out of the treaty. “Our US partners should have been honest about it instead of using thought-up accusations to justify their unilateral exit from the treaty,” he said.

“They should have done it the same way they quit the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty in 2004 when they simply pulled out, openly and honestly.”

Continue Reading

World

Pakistan government spokesperson’s personal Twitter account suspended

Published

on

Pakistan Mohammad Faisal
Pakistan's Foreign Office spokesperson Mohammad Faisal (Photo Credit- AP)

Islamabad, Feb 20: Twitter has suspended the personal account of Pakistan’s Foreign Office spokesperson Mohammad Faisal.

According to the Pakistan media, the account was blocked late on Tuesday after Indian authorities complained to the microblogging website.

Geo News reported that Faisal’s account was suspended as he was giving his followers updates about “Indian atrocities” in Jammu and Kashmir and the Kulbhushan Jadhav case which is being heard at the International Court of Justice.

Meanwhile, Pakistan Foreign Ministry’s official Twitter account, which bears Mohammad Faisal’s name, remains active.

IANS

Continue Reading

World

Trump urges India, Pakistan to ‘get along’

Published

on

Donald Trump Trade War

Washington, Feb 20 (IANS) US President Donald Trump has urged India and Pakistan to “get along” in the wake of Jammu and Kashmir suicide bombing and said that his country will respond on the issue at an “appropriate time”.

“I have watched. I have got a lot of reports on it. We will have comment (on it) at an appropriate time. It would be wonderful if they (India and Pakistan) get along,” he said in response to a question during an Oval Office signing ceremony on Tuesday.

The US President called the attack that killed 40 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers last week “a horrible situation”.

“That (the terrorist attack) was a horrible situation. We are getting reports. We will have a statement to put out,” he said.

Earlier on Tuesday, US State Department deputy spokesperson Robert Palladino, during a press briefing, said that Washington was in touch with both New Delhi and Islamabad regarding the bombing claimed by the Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM).

“We have been in close communication with the government of India to express not only our condolences but our strong support for India as it confronts this terrorism,” said Palladino.

“We have a close, cooperative relationship with India, a security relationship, and that includes counter-terrorism operations.

“As far as Pakistan goes, we’ve been in contact with the country on this issue… We urge Pakistan to fully cooperate with the investigation into the attack and to punish anyone responsible,” he added.

However, Pakistan’s Prime Minister Imran Khan has denied his country’s involvement in the bombing and sought “actionable intelligence” from India.

US National Security Advisor Ambassador John Bolton has already extended support to his Indian counterpart Ajit Doval for India’s bid to designate JeM chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist.

Washington also voiced support towards India’s right to self-defence against cross-border terrorism.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular