Will boycott Parrikar, BJP government functions: Goa RSS chief | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Will boycott Parrikar, BJP government functions: Goa RSS chief – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Cities

Will boycott Parrikar, BJP government functions: Goa RSS chief

Published

on

Manohar-Parrikar
Panaji, May 31 : Goa state RSS chief Subhash Velingkar on Tuesday said the Sangh will boycott all state government functions attended by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and BJP politicians in power to protest the government’s alleged pro-English policy.

Velingkar, convenor of the Bharatiya Bhasha Suraksha Manch (BBSM), also denounced union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju’s remark on setting up an authority in Goa to look into the issue of dual citizenship for Goans who had opted for Portuguese citizenship.

“The government has failed to fulfil its promise of doing away with grants to English medium schools. It is intent on killing regional languages. In protest, we are going to boycott all government functions,” Velingkar said at a press conference here.

The Forum for Rights of Children to Education (FORCE) backed by the influential Roman Catholic church and the BBSM supported by the RSS have been at loggerheads in Goa over the medium of instruction in junior schools.

While FORCE backs English, the RSS-led faction prefers indigenous languages.

“Allowing people to have two nationalities is anti-national. I condemn this statement of Rijiju to set up the dual citizenship authority in Goa,” Velingkar said.

Goa, one of the oldest colonies of Portugal, was liberated by the Indian Army in 1961. All Goan natives were thereafter granted Indian citizenship via a common notification.

However, the departing Portuguese preferred not to snap ties with its colonial subjects and allowed those living in Goa during the Portuguese rule to register their births in Portugal and avail of its citizenship and Portuguese travel identity documents.

The privilege was later extended to two more generations of Goans.

Cities

Record 792 cases in 24 hours in Delhi, toll crosses 300-mark

As per the Delhi Health reports, 15 new deaths were added to the tally taking the total COVID-19 toll in the national capital to 303.

Published

on

By

RUSSIA CORONAVIRUS

New Delhi, May 27 : The coronavirus cases count in the national capital witnessed a record jump of 792 in a day, taking the total tally to 15,257 and the death toll reached 303, the Delhi Health Department said on Wednesday.

Out of the total cases, 7,690 were active, it said.

As per the Delhi Health reports, 15 new deaths were added to the tally taking the total COVID-19 toll in the national capital to 303.

The Health report said that the cumulative death figures refer to those fatalities where the primary cause of death was found to be the infection, as per the report of the Death Audit Committee on the basis of the case sheets received from various hospitals.

“Total 792 new cases were reported and the positive cases in the city reached 15,257. At least 7,264 patients have recovered from coronavirus so far in Delhi while 7,690 cases are active,” the Health Department said.

Continue Reading

Cities

Andhra’s corona tally now 2,787 with 68 new cases

In terms of mortality rate, Andhra Pradesh’s 1.86 per cent ranks 12th among the states of India.

Published

on

Jahangirpuri Delhi Coronavirus Test

Amaravati, May 27 : Andhra Pradesh reported 68 new coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours till Wednesday morning, taking the state’s tally to 2,787.

With the discharge of 10 more patients, the total number of cured patients in Andhra Pradesh has increased to 1,913. The active cases are 816.

With one more death in East Godavari district, the state’s death toll touched 58 on Wednesday morning.

On Wednesday, Nellore district reported 9 cases and Chittoor district 1 case.

Continuing the trend of the past few days, a few new cases had travel histories to Koyambedu market in Chennai, while some cases were of foreign returnees.

There are a total 111 corona patients among returnees from abroad.

The corona tally among returnees from other states climbed to 219 from 153. The active cases fell to 75 from 117, as 38 more state returnees were discharged.

The state nodal officer said that 9,664 samples were tested during the past 24 hours as against 8,148 samples during the preceding cycle.

The state’s average in terms of tests conducted per million population stands at 6,224, below Delhi’s 9,158, and Jammu and Kashmir’s 10,442.

However, in terms of tests conducted, Andhra Pradesh with 3,32,378 tests conducted till date lags behind Rajasthan with 3,33,904 tests, Maharashtra with 3,90,170 tests, and Tamil Nadu’s 4,31,183.

Till date, 32,42,160 tests have been conducted across India as a whole.

In terms of mortality rate, Andhra Pradesh’s 1.86 per cent ranks 12th among the states of India.

Continue Reading

Cities

Private lab in UP wrongly diagnoses 6 as corona patients

On May 21, eight samples were sent to this lab from Meerut and all were found positive for COVID-19.

Published

on

By

SARS antibody

Lucknow, May 27 : A private testing laboratory that gave a false report of six people testing corona positive in Meerut district, is likely to lose its licence.

Meerut District Magistrate Anil Dhingra has already recommended cancellation of the licence of the lab, which has its main office in Gurugram and has sample collection centres in Meerut by the name of Modern Lab and Diagnostic Centre.

Dhingra said, “There was a discrepancy in the lab reports of the Modern Lab for COVID-19 cases. The matter is being investigated and whosoever will be found guilty will not be spared, strict action will be taken against the responsible. A recommendation has been sent to the government for cancellation of the license of this lab. A detailed report has been asked from CMO as well.”

On May 21, eight samples were sent to this lab from Meerut and all were found positive for COVID-19.

However, during re-testing the samples of the same persons at the microbiology department of the Meerut Medical College on May 24, six out of the eight were found to be negative. Following this, those who tested negative were shifted to a different ward. Health officials have sought strict action against the private lab for wrongly indicating that six people from the city had tested positive.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular