Connect with us

White House bomb scare evacuation ‘after man approaches building claiming to have explosives’

Agents locked the doors of the Brady Press room at around 10:24 a.m., ordering reporters to stay inside the building.

Published

on

White House

The White House grounds are on lockdown as Secret Service has said that they are investigating a suspicious package.

Agents locked the doors of the Brady Press room at around 10:24 a.m., ordering reporters to stay inside the building.

According to Secret Service spokesperson at the White House, a man approached an officer outside the White House and made “suspicious comments” and had a package in his possession. A team of explosive experts are investigating the package.

East wing tours are temporarily suspended, but normal business activity at the White House will continue.

The security alert did not interrupt the president’s planned event with the Fraternal Order of Police at 11:00 p.m.

“I made a crucial pledge: We will always support the incredible men and women of law enforcement. I will always have your back 100 percent,” Trump said during the event.

The lockdown was lifted at about 11:30 a.m. EST. According to the Secret Service, the suspect is in custody while agents continue to investigate the package.

source : breitbart.com

Cities

Civilian injured in accidental firing at J&K militant’s funeral

Published

on

Mudasir Ahmad Bhat
Thousands attend the funeral procession of slain Lashkar militant Mudasir Ahmad Bhat of Parigam Yaripora, pic: Shah Hilal (Kashmir Life)

Srinagar, July 22 (IANS) A civilian was injured on Sunday in an accidental firing during the funeral of a slain militant in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kupwara district, informed sources said.

Eyewitnesses said civilian Fayaz Ahmad was injured in the foot in Katrasoo village when the rifle of a militant went off accidentally during the funeral of Mudaser Bhat, who along with two others were killed in Khudwani area of the district in a gunfight with security forces earlier.

The injured was shifted to a Srinagar hospital.

Continue Reading

Sports

Ozil quits international football amid furore over photo with Erdogan

Published

on

Mesut Ozil with Tayyip Erdogan

Berlin, July 23 (IANS) Germany’s attacking midfielder Mesut Ozil announced his retirement from international football on Sunday, a month-and-a-half after his photo with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan sparked a controversy.

The 29-year-old Ozil, a cornerstone of Germany under coach Joachim Low, announced his decision on Twitter, after defending the photo taken with Erdogan and Manchester City’s Ilkay Gundogan in May, reports Efe.

“It is with a heavy heart and after much consideration that because of recent events, I will no longer be playing for Germany at international level whilst I have this feeling of racism and disrespect. I used to wear the German shirt with such pride and excitement but now I don’t,” the Arsenal star said.

“This decision has been extremely difficult to make because I have always given everything for my teammates, the coaching staff and the good people of Germany. But when high-ranking officials of the DFB (the German football federation) treat me as they did, disrespect my Turkish roots and selfishly turn me into a political propaganda, then enough is enough,a he added.

The photograph was interpreted by some critics as Ozil’s explicit support for Erdogan’s re-election campaign amid ongoing tense relations with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

“Having a picture with president Erdogan wasn’t about politics or elections. It was about me respecting the highest office of my family’s country,” Ozil said in a lengthy statement on his official Twitter account earlier in the day.

Ozil is considered a symbol of integration in Germany, where people of Turkish descent make up the biggest immigrant community, numbering 3.5 million, half of whom retain their right to vote in Turkey.

Ozil slammed DFB president Reinhard Grindel, who he accused of trying to benefit his own political views. He also accused the DFB president of racism.

“I know that Grindel wanted me out the team after the picture, and publicised his view on Twitter without any thinking or consultation, but Low and (director) Oliver Bierhoff stood up for me and backed me,” he revealed.

“In the eyes of Grindel and his supporters, I am German when we win, but I am an immigrant when we lose.”

Low decided to keep both players on his 2018 FIFA World Cup squad even though fans raised doubts about Ozil’s loyalty to the German national team.

The controversy haunted both players during the World Cup and Germany’s early exit from the tournament added fuel to the fire.

“Are there criteria for being fully German that I do not fit?” Ozil asked. “My friend Lukas Podolski and Miroslav Klose are never referred to as German-Polish, so why am I German-Turkish? Is it because it is Turkey? Is it because I’m a Muslim?”

Since his debut in 2009, Ozil has appeared in 92 matches for Germany’s national team, scoring 23 goals. He was part of Germany’s World Cup-winning squad in 2014.A

Ozil was also part of the German squads which reached the semi-finals of 2014 World Cup and two European Championships in 2012 and 2016.

Continue Reading

World

US, Russia diplomats discuss Helsinki meeting, ties

Published

on

trump putin

Washington, July 23 (IANS) The US Department of State has said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke with his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov to discuss Helsinki meeting fruits and issues over bilateral and regional concerns.

According to a statement issued by State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert on Sunday, the phone conversation took place on Saturday when the two foreign ministers discussed a broad range of issues, “some of which were following up from the meeting between President Trump and President Putin” in Finland on July 16, Xinhua reported.

Among the topics discussed was the situation in Syria.

The two also discussed how to implement ideas on counterterrorism process coordination and the mutual goal of establishing business-to-business dialogue between private, non-governmentally controlled entities in the two countries, another deliverable of the Trump-Putin meeting.

Pompeo and Lavrov also discussed “the need for Russia to provide equal diplomatic access to the US, at a level that is fair and reciprocal”.

US White House spokesperson Sarah Sanders said Thursday that Putin will be invited to Washington in the autumn, and “those discussions are already underway”.

Russian Ambassador to the US Anatoly Antonov said on Friday in response that that his country is open to a new meeting between the two presidents.

Trump has been widely attacked after his meeting with Putin on July 16, due to his reconciliatory remarks that many saw as a sign to side with Moscow against US intelligence community’s conclusion that Russia meddled in the 2016 US elections.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular