Voice calls connect Kashmir with the world after over 2 months | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Voice calls connect Kashmir with the world after over 2 months – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Cities

Voice calls connect Kashmir with the world after over 2 months

Published

on

Kashmir blackout

Srinagar, Oct 15 : The resumption of voice calls in Kashmir after two months has ended young Afroza’s frequent visits to her neighbour’s house. She can now speak to her Bengaluru-based fiance at will.

Afroza’s marriage, which was scheduled for the last week of August, was cancelled due to the lockdown in Kashmir after the abrogation of Article 370 on August 5.

Her wedding will now take place November. She hopes all restrictions will be lifted and internet will also be back by then.

“I am no longer dependent on my neighbour’s landline to talk my fiance. It’s like coming back to the real world,” she said.

Cell phones and internet remained suspended in Kashmir for 70 days. The resumption of post-paid cellphones after so long has also cheered the students.

“Students were suffering the most due to communication blockade,” said Sabiya Mir, a college student. In Kashmir, 66 lakh cellphones are registered with different services providers. Around 26 lakh pre-paid cell phones are still shut.

“The government should lift all the restrictions on communication to make life easier for the people,” said Raiq Ahmed. “It is not a favour bestowed on us, this is our right that was snatched.”

Scores of people thronged BSNL offices in Srinagar to clear their bills. Some called their contacts in Jammu to pay their bills online.

“My phone is not working, I have an outstanding of Rs 1,200,” said Muhammad Ayub, an engineer.” I went to the telecom office, but there is a huge rush. So I asked a friend in Jammu clear my outstanding.”

The government has also ordered opening of schools and colleges, and has withdrawn the travel advisory to bring back tourists to Kashmir and restore a sense of normalcy. But the situation has shown little signs of improvement.

Many people believe that resumption of prepaid phone and internet will help bring back normalcy in Kashmir, which has been living under siege since August.

Cities

Kejriwal assures his govt is way ahead in Covid planning

Kejriwal also informed that while the cases have doubled in the last 15 days, only 2,100 are in hospitals and rest are undergoing treatment at their homes.

Published

on

By

Arvind Kejriwal

New Delhi, May 30 : Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday said while the coronavirus cases are increasing, the government is ahead of the infection in terms of preparations.

Kejriwal said so far, 398 people have died due to the infection.

“In the past few days, the cases have been increasing and I assure that we are ahead in planning. We have made arrangements even more than what is required. We cannot have a permanent lockdown to fight against coronavirus,” he said.

Kejriwal, while addressing the media, also said that the aim is that there are sufficient beds and arrangements in the hospitals to deal with the cases and fewer deaths taking place.

“We have procured a large number of beds to treat Corona(virus) patients. Though the number of cases are rising, we have sufficient arrangements to treat them,” he added. He informed that last week the city had 4,500 beds for covid treatment.

“In the past week, we made arrangements for 2,100 more beds. We now have about 6,500 beds. By June 5, we will have 9,500 beds. We are taking over hospitals and hotels,” he added.

Kejriwal also informed that while the cases have doubled in the last 15 days, only 2,100 are in hospitals and rest are undergoing treatment at their homes.

“Today, 17,386 cases are there and only 2,100 patients are in hospitals, only about 600 more people have been admitted to the hospitals in the last 15 days,” he added.

Continue Reading

Cities

Containment zones in Delhi jump to 102

Covid-19 cases in the national capital crossed 17,000 on Friday.

Published

on

covid lockdown delhi

New Delhi, May 29 : The total number of containment zones in the national capital jumped to 102 on Friday with the highest 21 active in the North district.

So far, a total of 50 zones have been de-contained, as per the data shared by the Delhi government on Friday — highest 12 from the West district.

Followed by the north district, the South East has 16 containment zones while the South districts has 13 zones.

Among those having the least zones were — New Delhi and West, each having three active zones. The South West has 12 such zones while the North West district has 10 containment zones.

The Central district has seven zones and the North East district has four zones while Shahdara district has eight zones.

Five containment zones are in the East district.

Covid-19 cases in the national capital crossed 17,000 on Friday.

Continue Reading

Cities

COVID-19: Delhi’s total tally crosses 17k-mark, death toll 398

The 34-day period, as per the health bulletin, is between April 10 and May 27, not including all the dates between them.

Published

on

Jahangirpuri Delhi Coronavirus Test

New Delhi, May 29 : The count of novel coronavirus cases in Delhi witnessed a record jump of 1,106 in a day, taking its total tally on Friday to 17,386. The death toll due to coronavirus has reached 398, the Delhi Health Department said.

“At least 7,846 patients have recovered from coronavirus so far in Delhi while 9,142 cases are active,” the Health Department said.

As per the Delhi health reports, 82 new casualties were added to the death toll. However, 13 deaths have occurred in the last 24 hours.

The Health report said that the cumulative death figures refer to fatalities where the primary cause of death was found to be the infection, as per the report of the Death Audit Committee on the basis of case sheets received from various hospitals.

On Thursday, for the first time since the corona outbreak, the cases reported in a single day crossed 1,000-mark with 1,024 cases. On Friday, it was the second time that positive cases saw another huge jump.

Earlier in the day, Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia had explained that out of the 82 new deaths, 13 took place in the last 24 hours.

“The remaining 69 deaths have taken place over a period of 34 days. These cases are being recorded now due to late reporting by various hospitals or due to incomplete submission of information,” Sisodia said.

The 34-day period, as per the health bulletin, is between April 10 and May 27, not including all the dates between them.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular