Vijay Mallya seeks more time to appear before ED | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Vijay Mallya seeks more time to appear before ED – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Vijay Mallya seeks more time to appear before ED

Published

on

mallaya

Liquor baron Vijay Mallya will not appear before the Enforcement Directorate  in Mumbai on Saturday in connection with the money laundering probe but rather  has sought extension till May,

A day before the deadline, Former UB group chairman sought time till May to depose before the agency. ED sources also said that they might consider giving few more weeks to Mallya after studying his replies.

This is the second time that Mallya has sought an extension from the Enforcement Directorate.

The ED had earlier issued summons to Mallya for “personal appearance” on March 18 under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act ( PMLA).

Mallya ,who is currently in the United Kingdom,is  wanted in India  by the law enforcing agencies for a default of over Rs. 9, 000 crores. He had recently expressed willingness in Supreme Court for a settlement by offering a proposal to pay back Rs 4,000 crore by September this year.

The proposal was placed jointly by Mallya and his companies – Kingfisher Airlines Ltd, United Breweries (Holdings) Ltd and Kingfisher Finvest (India) Ltd.

Cities

All Nagaland declared ”disturbed area”, AFSPA extended 6 mths

The Bharatiya Janata Party-led government, led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, had signed a “framework agreement” with its leadership in 2015.

Published

on

By

AFSPA Armed Forces Special Act

Kohima, July 3 : The Union Home Ministry (MHA) has extended the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) in Nagaland for another six months, officials said here on Thursday.

According to an official of the Nagaland Home Department, the mountainous state, bordering Myanmar, has been under the AFSPA for the past several decades.

In a notification, Joint Secretary, MHA, Satyendra Garg said that the Central government is of the opinion that the area comprising the whole of Nagaland is in such a disturbed and dangerous condition that the use of armed forces in aid of civil power is necessary.

“Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred by Section 3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (No. 28 of 1958), the Central Government hereby declares that whole of the said state to be a ”disturbed area” for a period of six months with effect from June 30, 2020 for the purpose of that Act,” said the notification, issued on Tuesday.

The Nagaland government official said that the state has been requesting the Central government to resolve the long-ending Naga issues, involving the numerous outfits. The National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Isak-Muivah), which had several rounds of negotiations with the Indian government in Delhi as well as outside India after signing a ceasefire pact in August 1997, is one of the most influential rebel groups in the northeastern region.

The Bharatiya Janata Party-led government, led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, had signed a “framework agreement” with its leadership in 2015.

Nagaland Governor R.N. Ravi is also the Centre”s interlocutor to hold talks with NSCN-IM and other Naga outfits.

Recently, Ravi had written to Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio on the “deterioration of law and order in the state”.

The Nagaland government, however, in a series of statements, claimed that the state is in a normal situation.

Continue Reading

Health

Madras High Court should rule fast on OBC quota in medical seats: Tamil Nadu

A group of petitioners, in their interim prayers in the Madras High Court, attempted to stop the ongoing process of admissions in postgraduate medical courses.

Published

on

By

Madras High Court Chennai

New Delhi, July 2 : The Tamil Nadu government has moved the Supreme Court, seeking a direction to the Madras High Court to “expeditiously hear and dispose” off petitions against the Centre’s decision not granting 50 per cent quota to OBCs in medical seats surrendered by the state in the all India quota in 2020-21.

The state government has challenged the high court’s June 22 order declining any interim order on the OBC quota row. It had adjourned the matter till July 9, citing that a petition similar in nature is scheduled to be taken up for hearing before the apex court on July 8.

The state government had moved the top court on June 11, which asked it to move the high court. “The High Court has erroneously acceded to representations made by the respondents and unjustifiably kept the Petitioner’s writ petition in abeyance till this court issues orders in an ostensibly identical matter in Saloni Kumari v Director General Health Services & Ors which is tentatively listed for July 8,” said the Tamil Nadu government in its plea.

The state government contended that it seeks directions to provide 50 per cent reservation for Backward Classes, most Backward Classes and the Denotified Community in admission to shared seats in postgraduate, undergraduate and diploma medical and dental courses.

Various political parties and the Tamil Nadu government have challenged the Centre’s decision not granting 50 per cent reservation to OBCs as per state law. “Moreover, the High Court has ignored the fact that this court, in an order dated June 11 has, instead of entertaining the petitioner’s petition under Article 32 of the Constitution, expressly granted liberty to the Petitioner to seek relief before the High Court under Article 226,” said the state government plea.

A group of petitioners, in their interim prayers in the Madras High Court, attempted to stop the ongoing process of admissions in postgraduate medical courses.

Reportedly, the Madras High Court had declined to pass any interim order on the petitions after taking on record the Centre’s contention that from 1986, reservation has not been provided in the AIQ (All-India quota) seats for medical admission, which is in accordance with the directive of the top court.

Continue Reading

Cities

Maharashtra sees new high of 6,330 Covid cases, Mumbai cases cross 80K

Of the total 90,56,173 tests conducted in the country or 6,334 tests per million, Maharashtra’s share is 10,20,368 (11.26 percent), with 7,715 tests per million population, said officials.

Published

on

By

Patients infected with the novel coronavirus

Mumbai, July 2 : Maharashtra’s daily Covid-19 cases scaled a new record of 6,330 – up from Wednesday’s high of 5,537, with Mumbai’s tally crossing the 80K mark, health officials said here on Wednesday.

The number of fatalities in the state were 175, taking the state death toll to 8,178 and total cases zoomed to 186,626 till date, both being the highest in the country.

Thursday”s figures work out to roughly one death recorded every 11 minutes and a staggering 264 new cases notched every hour in the state.

However, the recovery rate improved from Wednesday”s 51.67 per cent to 54.21 per cent while the mortality rate stood at 4.38 percent.

July has started with three-digit highs of deaths and over 5,000 new patients, causing major concerns among the health officials.

The Health Department said of the total number of cases declared till date, 77,260 are active cases.

On the positive side, the second highest record of 8,018 fully cured patients returned home on Thursday, taking the number of those discharged today to 101,172.

Of Thursday”s fatalities, Mumbai alone notched 58 deaths – pulling up the city death toll to 4,689 now, while the number of Covid-19 positive patients here shot up by 1,554 cases to touch 80,699.

There were 24 deaths in Pune, 15 in Aurangabad, 10 in Jalgaon, six in Thane, five in Satara, two each in Akola, and Jalna, one each in Nandurbar, Buldhana and Kolhapur.

The MMR (Thane division) continues to see deaths and cases continue to pile up, with a total of 5,863 Covid-19 fatalities so far, while and a whopping 4,268 new patients pushed up the number of positive cases to 133,356.

Thane cases shot past the 40,000 mark to 41,349 with 1,025 fatalities – to emerge as the second worst-hit district after Mumbai in the state.

Pune district comes third with 24,432 patients and 807 deaths till now. But Pune division ranks second (after MMR) with 28,281 patients and 1,123 fatalities.

Nashik division has 555 fatalities and 9,977 positive cases, followed by Aurangabad division with 295 deaths and 6,834 cases, and Akola Division with 134 fatalities and 2,853 cases.

Kolhapur division has notched 55 deaths and 2,136 patients, Latur division had 48 fatalities and 1097 cases, and finally, Nagpur division recorded 18 deaths and 1,995 cases.

Among the eight divisions, only Nagpur and Latur recorded zero fatalities, though there were new Covid-19 positive cases.

Meanwhile, the number of people sent to home-quarantine decreased sharply to 572,032 now, while those in institutional quarantine increased to 41,741.

The state notched a new landmark in testing, achieving one million plus with 10,20,368 tests, with analysis being done in 114 laboratories comprising 64 government labs and 50 in the private sector.

Of the total 90,56,173 tests conducted in the country or 6,334 tests per million, Maharashtra’s share is 10,20,368 (11.26 percent), with 7,715 tests per million population, said officials.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular