Suo Moto Statement of MOS (I/C) OF YOUTH AFFAIRS AND SPORTS Vijay Goel in Lok Sabha on 28 July, 2016
Vijay Goel wishes to make a Suo Moto statement in this august House for the purpose of making the house aware of facts of the matter related to case of Anti Doping rule Violation in respect of Narsingh Pancham Yadav, wrestler.
1. Narsingh Pancham Yadav won bronze medal in 2015 World Wrestling Championship .By virtue of this Medal, he won a quota place for India in 74 Kg freestyle wrestling event in Olympic 2016 to be held at Rio, Brazil. He was training at the training centre of Sports Authority of India, Sonepat.
2. National Anti-Doping Agency (an Autonomous Body under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports) has been established in the year 2009 and is mandated for dope free sports in India. NADA is fully compliant to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Code with the aim to promote, coordinate and monitor the fight against doping in sports in India.
3. As per WADA / NADA rules, any athlete can be tested anytime, anywhere and with no advance notice during out-of- competition. The athletes under registered testing pool are tested frequently with no advance notice as per the whereabouts information. The out-of competition testings are planned based on the training camp details of the athletes received from Sports Authority of India (SAI) / National Sports Federations (NSFs). Athletes participating in the major events are tested regularly. The in-competition testing is based on the medal positions and random testing.
4. Samples of Mr. Narsingh Pancham Yadav were collected on 25 th June, 2016 and 5 th July,
5. Sample A collected on 25.6.16 was reported to be dope positive. The athlete was Informed by email. As per the Anti-Doping Rules of NADA, the wrestler gave his consent for the B sample analysis. The B sample of 25 Th June was opened and analyzed in the presence of the wrestler on 21.07.2016 and the laboratory submitted the report. The B sample analysis report confirmed the presence of the same substance (Adverse Analytical Finding for Methandienone) in the sample. He has been provisionally suspended by NADA.
6. In the meantime in view of the advice of WADA, another sample of the wrestler was taken on 5th July, 2016. Sample A of the said test was also reported to be positive on 23.7.16 and athlete was informed about the same. The athlete has submitted in writing that he does not want to get the B sample opened and tested in his presence.
7. The Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel of NADA held its hearing in this case on 23 and 27 July, 2016. As per the hearing on 23 rd. July 2016, the anti-doping disciplinary panel has directed NADA to conduct testing of the food supplements submitted by athlete at the laboratory. The laboratory reported that there are no banned substances detected in food supplements submitted by athlete. The next hearing is on 28 July 2016. The findings of the Panel are awaited. The final outcome will be known after findings of the Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel.