Connect with us

India

Video proof of surgical strike shows Modi govt credibility is low: Arun Shourie

Published

on

New Delhi, June 28: Reacting to the Surgical Strike video, Former Union Minister Arun Shourie on Thursday said that the credibility of Narendra Modi government is so low that they have to provide proof of tackling terrorism.

Comparing with the previous NDA government led by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, he stated “Imagine a situation if strikes would have happened during Atalji’s time and people would have asked him, he would’ve had a twinkle in his eye and said, “Really a strike has happened?”.

But, today the credibility of government is so low that they have to provide video proof when asked, he added.

Hitting out at the Prime Minister, Shourie said “I never had any doubt on the fact that the strike took place. But to use it for propaganda & to boast about it that ‘my chest is 56 inch & I gave a befitting reply to Pakistan’, is wrong”.

Shourie, along with senior BJP leader Shatrughan Sinha, as well as former Finance Minister Yashwant Sinha have openly criticised the Modi government on various issues.

After 21 months, several media channels released the video footage of surgical strikes across the line of control (LoC) against terror launch pads in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) which they claim had been accessed by them from official sources.

Yesterday, the video was aired on some television news channels.

The clips showed some terrorists being killed, besides the destruction of bunkers and other military constructions. Videos were taken by Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and Thermal Imaging (TI) cameras used by the Army to monitor the operation.

WeForNews 

India

4 Army personnel, 2 Terrorists in killed Pulwama encounter

Published

on

Pulwama Encounter

Srinagar, Feb 18: Four Indian Army personnel and two terrorists were killed in an encounter in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir.

Indian Army personnel of 55 Rashtriya Rifles, have been identified as Major VS Dhoundiyal, Havaldar Sheo Ram, Sepoy Ajay Kumar, and Sepoy Hari Singh.

Besides this, a civilian named Mushtaq Ahmad also lost his life in the gunfight.

Identification of bodies of the two terrorists, yet to be confirmed.

Police appeal locals to leave the encounter site

The officials recovered one AK-47 and one pistol.

A top Jaish-e-Mohammed commander linked to Pulwama Attack believed to be trapped in the ongoing encounter with security forces, news agency ANI reported citing sources.

The gunfight erupted on Sunday late night after security forces, including the Rashtriya Rifles (RR), Special Operations Group (SOG) of the state police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), surrounded the village following the information that Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) militants were hiding in the area.

The same outfit that carried out the February 14 attack claiming lives of nearly 40 CRPF troopers.

WeForNews

Continue Reading

India

Supreme Court sets aside NGT order allowing re-opening of Tuticorin plant

Published

on

Supreme Court of India

New Delhi, Feb 18: The Supreme Court on Monday set aside the National Green Tribunal’s order which had allowed the reopening of Vedanta group owned Sterlite copper plant in Tamil Nadu’s Tuticorin.

While setting aside the order on maintainability, a bench of Justice Rohinton Fali Nariman and Justice Vineet Saran asked Vedanta and Tamil Nadu government to approach the High Court and since the plant has been locked up for quite some time, they could urge the High Court Chief Justice for an expeditious hearing and interim relief.

On May 28 last year, the plant was shut down permanently when the state government had ordered the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board (TNPCB) to seal and “permanently” close the plant in aftermath of protests over pollution concerns.

The protests had turned violent, in which 13 people lost their lives in police firing on May 22-23 in Tuticorin.

The apex court judgement came on the TNPCB’s plea against the December 15, 2018, NGT order directing it to give its consent.

WeForNews

Continue Reading

India

Aircel-Maxis case: Interim protection of P Chidambaram, Karti extended till March 8

Published

on

P Chidambaram

New Delhi, Feb 18: The Patiala House Court on Monday extended the interim protection of former Union Minister P Chidambaram and his son Karti Chidambaram till March 8 in the Aircel-Maxis case.

The ED is probing the Aircel-Maxis deal under the PMLA after taking cognisance of a 2011 Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) complaint in the case.

On November 26, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had informed the Court that it has been granted permission by the central government to prosecute Chidambaram in connection with the case.

Chidambaram has denied all charges leveled by the central probe agency.

The agencies are investigating how Karti Chidambaram allegedly managed to get a clearance from the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) in the Aircel-Maxis deal when his father P Chidambaram was the Union Finance Minister in 2006.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular