5,000 Kg Bomb Explodes Underwater In Poland, Hundreds Evacuated | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Video: 5,000 Kg Bomb Explodes Underwater In Poland, Hundreds Evacuated – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Disaster

Video: 5,000 Kg Bomb Explodes Underwater In Poland, Hundreds Evacuated

The WWII bomb was discovered last year embedded at a depth of 12 metres (39 feet)

Published

on

Bomb Underwater

A massive World War II bomb exploded during a delicate operation on Tuesday to defuse the five-tonne device in a channel near the Baltic Sea but no one was harmed, Polish officials said.

The device — nicknamed “Tallboy” and also known as an “earthquake bomb” — was dropped by the Royal Air Force in an attack on a Nazi warship in 1945.

It was discovered last year embedded at a depth of 12 metres (39 feet) with just its nose sticking out during dredging close to the port city of Swinoujscie in northwest Poland.

More than six metres long, it was laden with 2.4 tonnes of explosives — equivalent to around 3.6 tons of TNT.

The navy had said earlier it had ruled out the traditional option of a controlled explosion for fear of destroying a bridge located some 500 metres away.

Instead, it had planned to use a technique known as deflagration to burn the explosive charge without causing a detonation, using a remotely controlled device to pierce through the shell to begin combustion.

But in the end “the deflagration process turned into a detonation,” said Grzegorz Lewandowski, spokesman for the Polish navy’s 8th Coastal Defence Flotilla based in Swinoujscie.

“There had been no risk to the individuals directly involved,” he said, adding that the bomb “can be considered neutralised”.

#Watch : 5,000 Kg Bomb Explodes Underwater In Poland, Hundreds Evacuated.#Poland #Bomb #Underwater

Posted by We For News on Wednesday, 14 October 2020

A Swinoujscie city hall spokesman told AFP he had not heard any reports of anyone injured during the operation by military divers, nor of any damage done to the city’s infrastructure.

  • Hundreds evacuated –

Before the operation began this week, Lewandowski had called it “a very delicate job,” adding that “the tiniest vibration could detonate the bomb”.

Around 750 local residents had been urged beforehand to evacuate from an area of 2.5 kilometres (1.6 miles) around the bomb, though some had told AFP they would be staying put.

Halina Paszkowska had said the “main danger” for her was the risk of catching Covid-19 in a sports hall where residents were given shelter during the operation.

“I’ve lived here 50 years and there have been other bombs, but this is the first time there’s an evacuation! Before, we just had to stay indoors,” she said.

Maritime traffic on the navigation channel and surrounding waterways had also been suspended in an area of 16 kilometres around the bomb disposal operation.

During World War II, Swinoujscie — at the time Swinemuende, a part of Germany — was home to one of the German navy’s most important Baltic bases and was subjected to massive bombardments, said historian Piotr Laskowski, the author of a book on the Royal Air Force raid on Germany’s Luetzow cruiser in April 1945.

The ship’s cannons were being used to hold back the advance of the Red Army in the dying days of the war.

On April 16, 1945, the RAF sent 18 Lancaster bombers from the 617th Squadron, known as the “Dambusters”.

The bombers attacked the Luetzow with 12 Tallboys, including the one that failed to explode at the time.

Tallboys were designed to explode underground next to a target, triggering shock waves that would cause destruction.

Disaster

Death toll from Turkey’s earthquake rises to 35: Minister

Meanwhile, rescue teams saved a mother and her three children from rubble 23 hours after the earthquake.

Published

on

Fahrettin Koca

Istanbul, Nov 1 : Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said that the death toll in the strong earthquake that hit Turkey’s western province of Izmir has increased to 35.

Speaking to reporters in Izmir on Saturday, Koca said 243 people are under treatment in the hospitals, while eight others in intensive care units, three of whom are in critical condition, Xinhua news agency reported.

Koca said earlier that at least 885 people were wounded in the tremor, which struck the Aegean Sea off the Seferihisar district on Friday.

The minister also urged citizens in the disaster areas to strictly follow the coronavirus-related rules to reduce the infection risk.

Meanwhile, rescue teams saved a mother and her three children from rubble 23 hours after the earthquake.

Another citizen was rescued from the debris of an apartment building 26 hours after the quake, according to press reports.

Rescue operations are continuing nonstop to reach more survivors trapped in the ruins.

Continue Reading

Disaster

Delhi again records over 5,000 new Covid-19 cases, 34,186 cases added in last 7 days

There are 3,274 containment zones in the Capital and over 20,000 people are under home isolation at present.

Published

on

Coronavirus India

Delhi recorded 5,062 new Covid-19 cases on Saturday, which is a slight dip from the number of new cases being reported from Wednesday, but the higher positivity rate in the city indicates that the Capital is experiencing a new wave of Covid-19 infections.

On Friday, Delhi reported 5,891 new cases — the highest single-day number of all time. The government health bulletin revealed that 41 deaths have been reported in the last 24 hours. Over 44,000 people have been tested in the same period of time.

There are 3,274 containment zones in the Capital and over 20,000 people are under home isolation at present.

The sudden spike in the number of daily cases after a period when Delhi was believed to have tackled Covid-19 effectively has become a cause of worry. The Centre has called for a meeting on Monday to discuss the issue.

The spike began on Wednesday when Delhi crossed the 5,000-mark for the first time with 5,673 new cases in a span of 24 hours. On Thursday, Delhi recoded 5,739 cases and on Friday, the number stood at 5,891. On Tuesday, Delhi had logged 4,853 cases, which was its highest single-day tally since 4,473 on September 16. Though Saturday’s number is lower than the previous three days, the positivity rate is high — at least 11 per cent of all tests in the past 24 hours returned positive results.

The number of total cases in the Capital stands at 3,86,706. Out of this, 34,185 cases have been added in last one week.

Here is a date-wise data of new cases reported in Delhi during the past one week

October 25: 4,136

October 26: 2,832

October 27: 4,853

October 28: 5,673

October 29: 5,739

October 30: 5,891

October 31: 5,062

Why cases are rising in Delhi

Delhi health minister Satyendar Jain has blamed pollution, the onset of winter and the rising pollution for the sudden rise in the number of cases. “It’s a combined effect of the festive season, decrease in temperature and increased pollution. Experts had also suggested that at this time Covid-19 cases could rise,” Jain said on Saturday.

Third Covid-19 wave in Delhi?

Jain had earlier said that it can be concluded whether Delhi has entered the third wave of Covid-19 cases after examining the numbers of a week. But he had hinted that the possibility could not be overruled. The peak of the second wave in Delhi was during mid-September when it reported 4,174 average cases every day. The current trajectory is far above that.

Continue Reading

Disaster

Delhi’s clogged Sadar Bazar a recipe for COVID disaster

Delhi recorded 5,891 fresh COVID-19 cases on Friday, the highest single-day spike till date, taking the total caseload to over 3.81 lakh with 47 new fatalities pushing the death count in the national capital to 6,470.

Published

on

By

Sadar Bazar

With Diwali just a fortnight away, a pandemic-hit people desperate to go out and the lockdown stricken businessmen eager to compensate with some brisk sales, Delhi’s Sadar Bazar on Saturday saw madness in motion.

Forget social distancing, the national capital’s wholesale market was clogged with buyers and sellers. With the Delhi government seemingly turning a blind eye, it has become a recipe for disaster in the city which till Friday saw 5000 new Covid-19 cases for 3 consecutive days.

While the Centre may be aggressively campaigning for masking up till the COVID vaccine is here, very few in the vicinity of Sadar Bazar were seen wearing masks. Those who did wear it were found wearing it wrongly, with someone’s mask dangling from the ears or covering just the chin.

Not just buyers who queued up at shops, carts carrying bulk materials found it extremely difficult to make their way through the crowds. It was just like any normal Diwali.

While there were barricades put up by Delhi Police to regulate the crowds which swamp this wholesale market with an estimated 40,000 shops, each year; the sheer number was overwhelming enough for such barricades not to prove a hindrance to Delhiites’ ambition to go shopping and ‘feel normal’.

After the nationwide lockdown in late March owing to the pandemic, the national capital’s business community like anywhere else in the country took a financial hit. Now, with virtually everything open with just mild restrictions and the buyers eager to shed their inhibitions during the festive season, Sadar Bazar has tossed aside all Covid concerns.

While, in view of the festive season, Delhi Police urged all market associations to put some basic rules in place like compulsory wearing of masks, maintaining physical distancing or providing hand sanitizers to each customer, on the ground in Sadar Bazar little or nothing was being followed.

With a fresh spike of 48,268 coronavirus infections and 551 deaths in 24 hours, India’s tally on Saturday rose to 81,37,119. The national capital, too, witnessed a rise in the number of infections with around 5,000 cases being recorded daily for the past three days.

Delhi recorded 5,891 fresh COVID-19 cases on Friday, the highest single-day spike till date, taking the total caseload to over 3.81 lakh with 47 new fatalities pushing the death count in the national capital to 6,470.

But in Sadar Bazar, that seems to be the least of their worries.

Rajendra Sharma, General Secretary, Federation Of Sadar Bazar Traders Association, said: “We want the encroachments to be removed from Sadar Bazar. Many traders have come from outside and settled here (which adds to the crowd). Also vehicular access needs to be curbed till Diwali. We agree that the corona situation is worrying. But efforts have to be made from all sides including the MCD, Traffic, Delhi Police.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.