Connect with us

Politics

Venkaiah Naidu urges Congress to join GST launch

Published

on

naidu-wefornews

New Delhi, June 30, 2017: Information and Broadcasting Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu on Friday again appealed to the Congress and other opposition parties to attend the midnight function in Parliament for the launch of the Goods and Services Tax (GST).

Naidu said it was not right to say that the entire opposition was boycotting the event as many non-NDA parties like the AIADMK, Janata Dal-United, Biju Janata Dal, Telangana Rashtra Samithi, YSR Congress and Indian National Lok Dal were set to attending it.

The event will be held in the Central Hall of Parliament to coincide with the time of the GST rollout from July 1.

“I once again make an appeal to political parties, particularly the Congress party, to please join this combined effort… It is not a celebration, it is a revolutionary taxation transformation,” Naidu said at India Today’s Midnight Conclave on GST.

The Congress on Thursday announced it would boycott the GST rollout in Parliament on Friday night, saying the country was “ill-prepared” for its implementation and the Central Hall should not be used for such midnight events.

“I am making an appeal with folded hands, as one of the ministers, in the larger interest of the country to send a message to the people and also to the global community which is observing a country of India’s size going for this taxation reform is really going to be historical moment. A country should be seen as one. Having voted together, having been part of the process of consultation, suddenly now you don’t want to attend this function, please reconsider,” he said.

Naidu also said the government had invited former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and H.D. Deve Gowda to speak at the joint session.

“Some people are not able to digest the fact that (Prime Minister Narendra) Modi is here to stay and is becoming more and more popular every day,” he added.

 Wefornews Bureau

Politics

Shiv Sena to fight 2019 General Elections alone

Published

on

Shiv Sena and BJP-WEFORNEWS

Mumbai, Jan 23: The Shiv Sena, a long-time ally of the Bharatiya Janata Party will go it alone in the crucial 2019 national and assembly polls, party’s top leaders decided on Tuesday.

The resolution was moved by Sena leader MP Sanjay Raut, who said the BJP had been demoralising the party for the last three years news agency PTI reported.

The resolution was passed unanimously in the party’s National Executive meet here.

“I moved the resolution for the Shiv Sena to fight the Lok Sabha and Vidhan Sabha polls on its own in 2019,” Raut asserted.

He also said the party will clinch  at least 25 Lok Sabha seats (out of a total 48 in Maharashtra) and 125 Assembly seats (out of a total 288) in the state.

“The BJP allied with the Sena in the name of Hindutva and the Sena kept patience for Hindutva. However, the BJP in the last three years has been demoralising the Sena and using power to do so,” Raut stated.

WeForNews

Continue Reading

Politics

Disqualified AAP MLAs move Delhi High Court

Published

on

Delhi government kejriwal manish sisodia

New Delhi, Jan 23: A number of disqualified AAP MLAs on Tuesday moved the Delhi High Court challenging a notification disqualifying them on the ground of holding ‘office of profit’ as Parliamentary Secretaries.

The Aam Aadmi Party MLAs mentioned the matter before a Division Bench headed by Justice S. Ravinder Bhat seeking quashing of the notification and got it listed for hearing on Wednesday.

Earlier, the Election Commission had recommended to President Ram Nath Kovind to disqualify 20 AAP legislators for allegedly holding offices of profit.

IANS

Continue Reading

Politics

AAP withdraws petition in HC on disqualification of 20 MLAs

Published

on

Arvind Kejriwal

New Delhi, Jan 22 : Aam Aadmi Partys (AAP) disqualified MLAs on Monday withdrew from the Delhi High Court their plea seeking a stay on the Election Commission’s recommendation to the President to disqualify 20 MLAs in an office of profit case.

Justice Rekha Palli said the plea moved by six AAP legislators had become infructuous as the President has already issued a circular to disqualify all 20 MLAs.

The court’s decision came after it was informed by the EC that it had already sent its opinion to President Ram Nath Kovind on January 19, before the MLAs had moved the court.

EC also informed the court that the President issued the notification on January 20.

The court said: “What remains with the writ now, the final order has been passed by the President. The plea is dismissed as withdrawn.”

On Friday, the Election Commission recommended to the President for disqualification of the 20 AAP MLAs for holding office of profit as Parliamentary Secretaries.

Following the President’s approval, the Union Law and Justice Ministry had issued a notification saying that the President has held that the 20 members of the Delhi Legislative Assembly stand disqualified under 15 (1) (a) of the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (GNCTD) Act.

These 20 MLAs are Alka Lamba, Adarsh Shastri, Sanjeev Jha, Rajesh Gupta, Kailash Gehlot, Vijendra Garg, Praveen Kumar, Sharad Kumar, Madan Lal Khufiya, Shiv Charan Goyal, Sarita Singh, Naresh Yadav, Rajesh Rishi, Anil Kumar, Som Dutt, Avtar Singh, Sukhvir Singh Dala, Manoj Kumar, Nitin Tyagi and Jarnail Singh.

The counsels appearing for the disqualified MLAs said they wanted to withdraw the plea and will examine the EC’s order.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular