Vadodara BJP leader accused of rape, suspended from party | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Vadodara BJP leader accused of rape, suspended from party – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Cities

Vadodara BJP leader accused of rape, suspended from party

Published

on

Ahmedabad, June 20 : A BJP leader in Gujarat’s Vadodara, accused of of raping a student of a private university of which he is president, has been suspended from the party even as police on Monday launched a search for him after he went underground following the police complaint against him.

The 22-year-old girl, who is a nursing student in the Parul University in Vadodara’s Waghodia area, has alleged in her police complaint that Jayesh Patel, 66, called her to a housing quarter on the university campus through their hostel rector Bhavna Patel on Friday evening and raped her

Jayesh Patel promised the girl that he would ensure good results in the examination and also 100 per cent class attendance as he tried to lure her towards him. When she tried to resist his advances, he allegedly raped her.

After her complaint, the Vadodara police immediately got her examined at the government-run SSG Hospital and the medical reports confirmed that she was raped, said Superintendent of Police Saurabh Tolumbia.

The Vadodara police launched a hunt for Jayesh Patel, who immediately escaped while the police complaint against him was still being recorded. Police questioned his family members at his home for his whereabouts but to no avail, while Bhavna Patel has been arrested from her native Mansa town in north Gujarat where she was hiding.

The Bharatiya Janata Party’s Vadodara district president Dilbubha Chudasma said Patel was suspended from the party for six years without wasting time “since such a incident should not tarnish the reputation of the party”.

Patel had earlier contested the state assembly elections from the area on a Congress ticket but had later joined the BJP after he lost to the party’s Waghodia MLA Madhu Srivastava.

State Education Minister Bhupendrasinh Chudasma said: “Chief Minister Anandiben Patel and I and my department have taken this matter very seriously and would conduct a thorough inquiry in the case.”

Jayesh Patel had immediately resigned as the university president and handed over charge to his son and vice-president of Parul University Devanshu, who has completely denied all allegations against his father and said he was being framed since the girl was facing disciplinary action. He did not clarify the reasons for the action pending against her.

Tolambia, meanwhile, stated that the hostel rector Bhavna Patel “has revealed many details about the case and we are in the process of gathering more evidence”.

According to the girl’s complaint, Jayesh Patel called her at 8 pm on Friday to a housing quarter in the hostel on the university campus through Bhavna Patel. She had called the nursing student on her mobile phone.

When both reached the appointed place, Patel asked the hostel rector to leave and that told her that the girl would return after dinner.

Cities

UP To Test Every Traveller From Delhi For Coronavirus

It seems the second Covid-19 has hit the national capital, he said, pointing to a spurt in cases there.

Published

on

COVID-19 antibody testing

The Uttar Pradesh government will test all travellers from Delhi for coronavirus, an official said on Sunday.

Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary R K Tiwari said the state government is also considering restrictions on the number of people at weddings and other social programmes.

Tiwari said infection cases have increased in UP districts bordering Delhi.

It seems the second Covid-19 has hit the national capital, he said, pointing to a spurt in cases there.

So, we are testing everyone coming from Delhi, be it by air, train or bus, he said.

When asked about the kind of curbs that may be imposed at social gatherings, Tiwari said the decision will be taken on the prevailing situation.

“Districts in western UP like Gautam Buddh Nagar and Ghaziabad have restricted social gatherings to 100. Necessary steps will be taken as per the prevailing situation in various places to stop the spread of the infection,” he said.

Continue Reading

Cities

Rajasthan govt hikes penalty on gathering of more than 100 people at marriages

A total of 603 cases were reported in Jaipur while 414 in Jodhpur, 210 in Ajmer, 271 in Alwar, 131 in Bhilwara, 240 in Kota, 100 in Pali and 184 in Udaipur.

Published

on

Ashok Gehlot

Jaipur: Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Sunday announced to increase the penalty on gathering of more than 100 people at marriages from Rs 10,000 to Rs 25,000.

Chairing a meeting to review the steps taken to contain COVID spread in the state, he said administration and police personnel should take rounds in the market to ensure all due protocols are being followed with due care in reference to night curfew announced on Saturday as well as to ensure that set number of people’s limit is not crossed.

The wedding organisers should also be updated in this context that more than 100 people are not permitted in the wedding function, he added.

District collectors, superintendents of police and other senior officials have been given responsibility to ensure night curfew norms are maintained in eight districts as announced and not more than 100 people are gathered in the crowd. Every person should wear masks and social distancing norms should also be followed, the Chief Minister said.

Notably, the state government announced night curfew in Jaipur, Jodhpur, Bikaner, Kota, Alwar, Udaipur, Alwar and Ajmer.

Also the penalty for those not wearing masks was increased to Rs 500 from Rs 200 on Saturday.

The Chief Minister on Sunday said that the state government’s major objective is to save lives of people.

On Sunday, a total of 3,260 new COVID cases and 17 deaths were reported.

A total of 603 cases were reported in Jaipur while 414 in Jodhpur, 210 in Ajmer, 271 in Alwar, 131 in Bhilwara, 240 in Kota, 100 in Pali and 184 in Udaipur.

Continue Reading

Cities

CBI arrests ex-Karnataka Congress minister Roshan Baig in ponzi scam

The Enforcement Directorate (ED) had also booked Khan under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) for allegedly transferring funds to overseas banks through the hawala route.

Published

on

By

MLA Roshan Baig, Roshan Baig Karnataka, Karnataka Congress, Congress, Karnataka Govt, Politics,

Bengaluru: In a swift development after a day-long questioning, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested former Karnataka Congress minister Roshan Baig for his alleged involvement in the multi-crore IMA ponzi scam in the southern state, an official said on Sunday.

“Baig was arrested after questioning him in the ongoing ponzi chit fund scam investigation and a competent court sent him to judicial custody for further interrogation,” CBI spokesman R.K. Gaur told IANS.

Baig (67) is a former 8-time legislator from the Shivajinagar assembly segment in the city centre and was a minister in the Congress and Janata Dal governments.

“Baig was summoned for interrogation to our office earlier in the day and taken into custody on the evidence collected against him in the scam that rocked the state in 2018-19,” a CBI source said earlier.

Sleuths of the premier investigation agency also conducted a search and seizure operation in Baig’s house in the city earlier in the day.

The I-Monetary Advisory (IMA) Jewellery kingpin Mohammed Mansoor Khan alleged that he had given Rs 400 crore to Baig ahead of the state assembly elections in April-May 2018.

Baig, however, denied the charge and said Khan had falsely implicated him.

The Rs 4,000-crore ponzi chit fund scam came to light in June 2019 after hundreds of investors complained to city police that the chit fund firm stopped returning their deposits, including gold jewellery, cash and interest.

In an audio clip to then Bengaluru Police Commissioner Ajay Kumar Singh, Khan alleged that Baig was harassing him for more money and he fled to Dubai in June second week as his life was under threat.

Though the former Janata Dal-Secular-Congress government had set up a special investigation team (SIT) to probe the scam, the ruling BJP government transferred the case to the CBI in August after it came to power in July 2019.

Khan was flown to Bengaluru on July 20, 2019 via New Delhi from Duabai and has been in the central jail on the city’s outskirts along with about 30 accused, including seven directors of the company.

The Enforcement Directorate (ED) had also booked Khan under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) for allegedly transferring funds to overseas banks through the hawala route.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.