Health

US teen dies by caffeine consumption

caffeine

Washington, May 16: A 16-year-old high school student Davis Allen Cripe died in US South Carolina state from intake of too much caffeine,county coroner reported.

Richland county coroner Gary Watts announced, he died from arrhythmia, a caffeine-induced cardiac event.

In which the heart may not be able to pump enough blood to the body, and lack of blood flow affects the brain, heart and other organs, reports CNN.

Davis consumed three caffeine-laced drinks – a cafe latte purchased from McDonald’s, large Diet Mountain Dew and an energy drink, in a two-hour period.

He collapsed in his classroom at Spring Hill High School on April 26 just before 2.30 p.m. and was pronounced dead at 3.40 p.m.,Watts said.

The autopsy showed no no other drugs or alcohol and no heart conditions, he was healthy and fit.

“This was not an overdose. We lost Davis from a totally legal substance, ” Watts said, adding “Our purpose here today is to let people know, especially our young kids in school, that these drinks can be dangerous, and be very careful with how you use them.”

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that adolescents, age 12 to 18, should not consume more than 100 milligrams of caffeine per day, CNN reported.

In a study, found 73 per cent of children in US consume some kind of caffeine each day.

Wefornews Bureau

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top