Connect with us
Anti muslim Riots inSri Lanka Anti muslim Riots inSri Lanka

World

UN official condemns attacks on Sri Lankan Muslims

Photo- Al Jazeera

Published

on

United Nations, March 12: Under-Secretary-General Jeffrey Feltman has condemned the violence against Muslims in Sri Lanka and urged the government to bring those behind the attacks and hate speech to justice.

During the three-day visit, “he met Muslim political and civil society leaders to express concern and show solidarity”, according to a UN statement issued on Sunday.

While in the island nation, Feltman, who is in charge of political affairs for the UN, also met President Maithripala Sirisena, Prime Minister Ranil Wickramasinghe, Parliament Speaker Karu Jayasuriya and Foreign Minister Tilak Marapana.

He “appreciated the reassurances from government leaders of their intention to move forward” with initiatives for reconciliation and sustainable peace although Feltman expressed concern that many elements of the government’s “visionary” plan anounced in 2015 for national unity seemed to have stalled, the statement said.

He lauded the recent appointment of commissioners to the Office of Missing Persons to probe the disappearances of people during civil conflicts and “expressed hope” that the panel “will soon be fully operational to help answer questions that haunt too many families from all across Sri Lanka about their missing loved ones”.

Senior lawyer Saliya Peiris is to head the seven-member panel that includes two Tamils and a retired major general. In 2016, the government said that about 65,000 people were reported missing since 1994.

Feltman praised the adoption of the Bill for the Protection Against Enforced Disappearances by Parliament and called it “an important element of the Sri Lankan government’s commitment to its citizens”.

Three people were killed, 11 mosques damaged and scores of Muslim-owned businesses destroyed in the riots in Kandy district earlier this month.

A curfew was imposed and the military and police were deployed to quell the riots.

On Saturday, Sirisena announced that a panel of three retired judges will investigate the riots.

Meanwhile, the Association of Sri Lankan Muslims in North America has announced a protest outside the UN on Wednesday to protest last week’s anti-Muslim riots.

IANS

World

Taliban orders fighters from visiting government-held areas

Published

on

Taliban

Kabul, June 17 :The Taliban on Sunday ordered its fighters not to visit areas controlled by the Afghan government, a day after an attack by the Islamic State terror group against a gathering of insurgents and civilians left 25 dead.

The attack cast a shadow over the rapprochement between the Taliban and the Army after Afghan President Ashraf Ghani announced a unilateral truce, which was followed two days later by the announcement of a three-day ceasefire by the Taliban marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan, reports Efe news.

“Yesterday, a mysterious explosion took place at a park in Rodato district of Nangarhar province resulting in a number of countrymen embracing martyrdom and sustaining injuries,” Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement.

“In order to prevent such events from re-occurring, the Islamic Emirate (the Taliban) orders all its Mujahideen to remain in their trenches and areas of control and to not venture into enemy controlled areas or cities even briefly.”

Since Friday, for the first time in 17 years of conflict, Taliban fighters and security force members had been praying together in the same mosques in different parts of the country, visiting areas controlled by the opposite side and even had photos taken that showed them hugging each other.

A large number of insurgents entered Kabul on Saturday with the government’s permission after leaving behind their weapons with the security forces and were welcomed by Interior Minister Wais Ahmad Barmak near the western entrance to the capital.

The joy was cut short by an attack by the Islamic State in Nangarhar province, where the Taliban and civilians had gathered to celebrate the ceasefire, which caused 25 deaths and left 54 wounded.

Continue Reading

World

Highly qualified Indians in US may have to wait 151 years for green card

Published

on

Washington, June 16 : A Washington- based think tank -Cato Institute in its report has revealed that Indians having advanced degrees will have to wait for over 150 years to become green card holders.

Cato’s findings are based on the calculation of the number of green card issuances in 2017. As of April 20, 2018, there were 632,219 Indian immigrants and their spouses and minor children waiting for green cards also known as legal permanent residency cards.

A green card authorises to live and work in the US permanently.

Cato Institute, a Washington-based think-tank has reportedly come out with such a calculation after the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently released number of applicants for such cards.

Indians with the highest skilled category fall in the category of extraordinary immigrants will have to wait “only” six years, Cato Institute said in its latest report.EB-3 immigrants (EB stands for Employment-based) implies Indians having bachelor’s degrees will have to wait about 17 years, Cato Institute said.

In 2017 only 22,602 Indians have issued the legal permanent residency cards. Of these 13,082 were in the EB-1 category, 2,879 in EB-2 category and 6,641 in EB-3 category, according to the latest USCIS figures.

Continue Reading

World

Trump threatens Abe: ‘I can send 25 million Mexicans to Japan’

Published

on

Washington, June 16 : US President Donald Trump threatened Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that he could send 25 million Mexicans to his country.

The alleged statement was made during G7 meet , according to a report on Friday.

The G7 summit, gathering of top industrialized democracies finished in disarray after the US president abruptly rejected its consensus statement and attacked Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of being dishonest.
Trump said migration was a problem for Europe and then turning to Abe, he said : “Shinzo, you don’t have this problem, but I can send you 25 million Mexicans and you’ll be out of office very soon.”

Trump made another controversial comment to French President Emmanuel Macron when terrorism was being discussed, saying: “You must know about this, Emmanuel, because all the terrorists are in Paris.”

The recent G7 summit is a  grouping of the ‘rich kids’ of the world, accounting for just 11 percent of the population and some 60 percent of the net global wealth.

US President Donald Trump tweeted a picture of G7 summit  expressing that he had good relations with Angela Merkel .

I have a great relationship with Angela Merkel of Germany, but the Fake News Media only shows the bad photos (implying anger) of negotiating an agreement – where I am asking for things that no other American President would ask for!

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular