Connect with us

World

UN calls for probe into Pakistani reporter’s murder

Published

on

United Nations

Paris, Oct 23 The head of the United Nations cultural organisation UNESCO on Tuesday deplored the slaying of journalist Sohail Khan in northwest Pakistan last week and urged the country’s authorities to bring his killers to justice.

“I condemn the killing of Sohail Khan,” said UNESCO Director-General Audrey Azoulay. “I trust the authorities will spare no effort in investigating this crime, which undermines the fundamental human right of freedom of expression as well as the right to access information,” he said.

“A free press plays an essential role in combating organized crime and upholding the rule of law,” Azoulay added.

Sohail Khan, a reporter for local Urdu daily, which also operates a local television channel, was gunned down on October 16 in the Haripur district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, which borders Afghanistan.

Khan, 28, was murdered days after a report on drug trafficking, the Freedom Network watchdog organization said. He was the third journalist killed in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa this year. His killing sparked protests by journalists across Pakistan.

Four reporters have been murdered in Pakistan since January, the watchdog said.(IANS/AKI)

World

China imposes anti-dumping duty on Indian and Japanese import

Published

on

china

Beijing, Jan 22 : China’s Ministry of Commerce said Tuesday it has decided to impose anti-dumping duties on ortho dichlorobenzene (ODCB) imported from Japan and India as of Wednesday.

The announcement comes on the same day when India’s visiting Commerce Secretary met the Chinese Vice Commerce Minister Wang Shouwen and discussed trade deficit in favour of Beijing.

The domestic industry has been subject to substantial damages due to the dumping of these products, the ministry said in a final ruling after anti-dumping investigations into the imports.

From Wednesday, duties will be collected at rates ranging from 31.9 percent to 70.4 percent for a five-year period, Xinhua quoted the Commerce Ministry as saying.

Continue Reading

Travel

10 die as ships with Indian crew catch fire off Russia

Preliminary information said the fire erupted on Monday night due to the failure of a pump being used to transfer fuel between the two vessels — Candy and Maestro — in violation of security regulations.

Published

on

breaking

Moscow, Jan 22 (IANS) At least 10 people were killed in a fire that broke out on two ships, both carrying Indian crew, near the Kerch Strait that separates Crimea and Russia, emergency officials said. The victims have not been identified yet.

Preliminary information said the fire erupted on Monday night due to the failure of a pump being used to transfer fuel between the two vessels — Candy and Maestro — in violation of security regulations, reports Efe news.

According to Russia’s TASS news agency, Candy had a crew of 17 — eight Indian nationals and nine Turks. The Maestro carried seven Indians, seven Turks and an intern from Libya.

A spokesman from Russia’s Federal Agency for Maritime and River Transport told TASS on Tuesday that 12 people had been rescued and there were no chances of finding any more survivors.

“The fire on ships continues… It will not be extinguished until all the gas burns out,” the spokesman said.

The Indian embassy in Moscow was in touch with the agencies in Russia to get more information and extend whatever help that may be necessary, the External Affairs Ministry said in Delhi.

The rescued sailors have not yet been brought to the shore because of bad weather, he added.

Both vessels were flying Tanzanian flags. One of them was a liquefied natural gas carrier and another one was a tanker, reports RT News.

Maritime traffic was not affected by the incident and navigation through the Kerch Strait is still open, the director of the Crimean Sea Ports said.

Continue Reading

World

Donald Trump made 8,158 false or misleading claims in two years

Published

on

Donald Trump Trade War

Washington, Jan 22: Two years after taking the oath of office, US President Donald Trump has made 8,158 false or misleading claims, according to The Washington Post’s database.

The daily’s Fact Checker’s database analyses, categorises and tracks every suspect statement uttered by the President, it said in the report on Monday.

In 2018, he made an “astonishing” 6,000-plus such claims.

The President averaged nearly 5.9 false or misleading claims a day in his first year in office, but he hit nearly 16.5 a day in his second year, almost triple the pace.

The Washington Post started the Fact Checker online project as part of its coverage of the President’s first 100 days, “largely because we could not possibly keep up with the pace and volume of the President’s misstatements”.

The project’s interactive graphic displays a running list of every false or misleading statement made by Trump. A reader can also search for specific claims or obtain monthly or daily totals.

According to Fact Checker, the President in his first 100 days made 492 unsupported claims.

He managed to top that number just in the first three weeks of 2019.

Before the midterm elections in October, he made more than 1,200 false or misleading claims.

The biggest source of misleading claims is immigration, with a tally that has grown with the addition of 300 immigration claims in the past three weeks, for a total of 1,433, the Fact Checker said.

In the President’s immigration address on January 19, the last day of his second year in office, there were 12 false or misleading claims.

According to Fact Checker, there were only 82 days or about 11 per cent of the time that there were recorded no claims.

“These were often days when the President golfed,” it added.

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular