UK PM Boris Johnson urges peaceful struggle against racism | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs UK PM Boris Johnson urges peaceful struggle against racism – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

UK PM Boris Johnson urges peaceful struggle against racism

“We simply cannot ignore the depth of emotion that has been triggered by that spectacle, of a black man losing his life at the hands of the police,” he wrote.

Published

on

Boris Johnson

London, June 9 : UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has urged the country to “work peacefully, lawfully” to defeat racism and discrimination, it was reported on Tuesday.

In an article for the Voice, the only British national black weekly newspaper, Johnson wrote that the government could not ignore the anger and “undeniable feeling of injustice” sparked by the May 25 killing of George Floyd, the unarmed African-American man while in police custody in the US, reports the BBC.

The Prime Minister said Floyd”s death had “awakened an anger and a widespread and incontrovertible, undeniable feeling of injustice, a feeling that people from black and minority ethnic groups do face discrimination: in education, in employment, in the application of the criminal law”.

“We simply cannot ignore the depth of emotion that has been triggered by that spectacle, of a black man losing his life at the hands of the police,” he wrote.

“We who lead and who govern simply can”t ignore those feelings because in too many cases, I am afraid, they will be founded on a cold reality.”

While he believed the UK was a much less racist society than it was 40 years ago, Johnson said he “heard” the Black Lives Matter protesters and accepted much more needed to be done to ensure everyone was treated equally.

“We must also frankly acknowledge that there is so much more to do – in eradicating prejudice, and creating opportunity, and the government I lead is committed to that effort.”

Thanking those who abided by social distancing while taking to the streets, the Prime Minister warned that further mass demonstrations endangered the UK”s efforts to bring the coronavirus pandemic under control.

Floyd”s death triggered an international outcry and sparked days of mass protests in cities across the UK.

While the demonstrations have been largely peaceful, they turned violent in London on January when police officers were confronted with flares, and a statue of former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill was vandalised.

More protests are taking place on Tuesday, including in London and Oxford, with the latter focusing on calls for a statue at Oriel College of imperialist Cecil Rhodes to be taken down.

–IANS

Disaster

Chinese mainland reports 49 new confirmed COVID-19 cases

Published

on

By

Coronavirus

BEIJING, Aug. 10 : Chinese health authority said Monday that it received reports of 49 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Sunday, including 35 imported cases and 14 locally-transmitted ones.

All the 14 locally-transmitted cases were reported in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, the National Health Commission said in its daily report.

One new suspected COVID-19 case, which was imported from outside the mainland, was reported in Shanghai Municipality.

No deaths related to the disease were reported Sunday.

A total of 64 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on Sunday, the commission said.

By the end of Sunday, a total of 2,169 imported cases had been reported on the mainland. Of them, 2,037 had been discharged from hospitals after recovery, and 132 remained hospitalized, with one in serious condition. No deaths from the imported cases had been reported.

As of Sunday, the overall confirmed COVID-19 cases on the mainland had reached 84,668, including 802 patients who were still being treated, with 41 in severe conditions.

Altogether 79,232 people had been discharged after recovery, and 4,634 had died of the disease on the mainland, the commission said.

There were still seven suspected COVID-19 cases, it added.

According to the commission, 2,305 close contacts were discharged from medical observation on Sunday, and there were 24,055 close contacts still under medical observation.

Also on Sunday, 31 new asymptomatic cases, including 24 from outside the mainland, were reported, and three asymptomatic cases were re-categorized as confirmed ones.

The commission said 283 asymptomatic cases, including 136 from outside the mainland, were still under medical observation.

Continue Reading

World

Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai arrested under new national security law

Leading pro-democracy figure detained over alleged foreign collusion as police search Apple Daily offices

Published

on

By

Jimmy Lai

Hong Kong, Aug 10 : Hong Kong media mogul Jimmy Lai was arrested on Monday “for collusion with a foreign country” under the new national security law imposed in the city by Beijing, a media report said.

Sources told the South China Morning Post (SCMP) newspaper that Lai’s two sons, and senior executives from the tabloid-style Apple Daily were also arrested in the sweeping police operation.

“He was arrested for collusion with a foreign country, uttering seditious words and conspiracy to defraud,” one of the sources told the SCMP.

Lai’s top aide, Mark Simon, who is not in the city, was also being sought by Hong Kong police, according to the source, who would not say what offence the latter was accused of committing.

The source said the city’s opposition activists were not likely to be targeted in Monday’s operation.

Meanwhiel, another source told the SCMP that of Lai’s two sons was arrested on suspicion of collusion with foreign and external forces to endanger national security, and the other was detained for conspiracy to defraud, according to another source.

The four others included Apple Daily’s CEO Cheung Kim-hung, and Chow Tat-kuen, its chief financial officer.

Chow was also arrested for collusion with foreign and external forces to endanger national security, while Cheung was arrested for conspiracy to defraud.

Police said the operation was continuing and so far arrested they had arrested at least seven people aged 39-72.

“They are suspected to be involved in offences including collusion with foreign and external forces to endanger national security and conspiracy to defraud,” the force said.

“The operation is ongoing and we do not rule out more arrests.”

Lai’s arrest came two weeks after the new police unit took its first action against anti-government activists, not directly related to street protests, said the SCMP newspaper report.

On July 29, four students, aged from 16 to 21, were taken into custody on suspicion of secession under the new legislation which is aimed at punishing acts of secession, subversion, terrorism, and collusion with foreign forces to endanger national security.

The offence carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.

Continue Reading

World

Russian jet intercepts US reconnaissance plane over Black Sea

The crew of the Russian fighter identified the targets as a US Air Force strategic reconnaissance aircraft and a US Navy P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol plane

Published

on

Sukhoi Su-27 fighter jet

MOSCOW, August 7 : A Sukhoi Su-27 fighter jet was scrambled to intercept a US Air Force RC-135 reconnaissance plane and a US Navy P-8A Poseidon patrol aircraft over the Black Sea, Russia’s National Defense Control Center reported on Friday.

On August 7, the Russian airspace control systems detected two air targets over the neutral waters of the Black Sea approaching Russia’s state border. A Su-27 fighter from the Southern Military District’s air defense quick reaction alert forces was scrambled to intercept the targets, the Center said.

“The crew of the Russian fighter consistently approached the air targets at a safe distance and identified them as a US Air Force strategic reconnaissance aircraft and a US Navy P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol plane,” it said.

No violations of the Russian state border by the US spy planes were allowed, the National Defense Control Center stressed.

“After the US reconnaissance planes moved away from Russia’s state border, the Russian fighter safely returned to its home airfield,” the Center said.

The entire flight of the Russian Su-27 fighter proceeded in strict compliance with the international rules of using the airspace, it stressed.

This is the eighth such incident over the past 16 days. The previous incidents took place on July 23, 24, 27, 30 and 31 and August 4 and 5. In particular, a Russian Su-27 fighter plane was scrambled on August 5 to intercept a US Air Force RC-135 reconnaissance plane and a US Navy P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol plane over the Black Sea.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.