Connect with us

Middle East

U.S. Strikes Syria Over Chemical Attack

Dozens of U.S. Missiles Hit Air Base in Syria

Published

on

Hassan Youssef, 40, a victim of Tuesday’s chemical weapons attack in northern Syria, was in a hospital Thursday in the city of Idlib.

WASHINGTON — The US has launched a military strike on a Syrian government target in retaliation for their chemical weapons attack on civilians earlier in the week, President Donald Trump told the media.

“Tonight (Thursday), I ordered a targeted military strike on the air field in Syria from where the chemical attack was launched,” Trump told reporters at Mar-a-Lago.

The US launched 59 cruise missiles into Syria in the first direct military attack by the country on President Bashar al-Assad’s regime since the civil war began.

Tomahawk cruise missiles

U.S. Strikes Syria Over Chemical Attack

Dozens of Tomahawk missiles were fired at an air base in Syria, military officials said.

It was the first time that the White House had ordered military action against forces loyal to the Syrian president, Bashar al-Assad.

Just minutes before the missile attack, Russia warned the US of the “negative consequences” of military strikes on Syria.

Members of the UN Security Council were still negotiating a resolution in response to the chemical attack.

The speed with which the Trump administration responded — and remarks earlier in the day by American officials who said that options were still being considered — appeared intended to maximize the element of surprise and sharply contrasted with the methodical scrutiny of the use of force by the Obama administration.

It was President Trump’s first order to the military for the use of force — other operations in Syria, Yemen and Iraq had been carried out under authorization delegated to his commanders — and appeared intended to send a message to North Korea, Iran and other potential adversaries that the new commander in chief was prepared to act, and sometimes on short notice.

Wefornews Bureau

Middle East

Putin warns against further actions violating UN charter

Published

on

Vladimir Putin

Moscow, April 16 : Further actions violating the UN charter such as the recent US-led strikes on Syria will result in chaos in international relations, Russian President Vladimir Putin told his Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani over phone on Sunday.

The two leaders condemned Saturday’s airstrikes by the US and its allies on Syria and agreed that it would hinder the process of a political settlement in the war-torn country, according to a Kremlin statement, Xinhua news agency reported.

“It was stated that this illegal action seriously damages the prospects for a political settlement in Syria. Putin in particular stressed that if such actions, carried out in violation of the UN Charter, continue, it will inevitably lead to chaos in international relations,” the statement read.

The US, together with Britain and France, launched missile strikes on Syria on Saturday, saying that it was in response to an alleged chemical weapon attack by the Syrian military. The Syrian government has categorically denied the accusation.

The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) on the same day held an emergency meeting over the missile attack at Russia’s request but failed to approve a resolution condemning the bombardment.

Continue Reading

Middle East

Saudi Arabia supports US-led airstrikes on Syria

The Ministry expressed Saudi Arabia’s full support to the US, Britain and France’s military operations on military targets in Syria.

Published

on

Syrian Strike

Riyadh, April 14 : Saudi Arabia on Saturday extended support to the coordinated missile strikes by the US, Britain and France on military targets in Syria.

The official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) cited a source in the Saudi Foreign Ministry as saying that “the Ministry expressed Saudi Arabia’s full support to the US, Britain and France’s military operations on military targets in Syria”.

An official from the Ministry highlighted that the operations were a response to the use of banned chemical weapons by the Syrian regime against innocent civilians and its years of “horrible crimes”, the agency report said.

The official held the Syrian government responsible for such military attack and the international community for not taking serious steps against the regime.

The US, Britain and France launched coordinated strikes against Syria’s research, storage and military targets to “punish” the Bashar al-Assad regime for an apparent chemical attack in Douma last week that killed over 70 people. The military action was denounced by Damascus and its ally Moscow as a “failure” and “an act of aggression”.

Western allies warned Syria on Saturday that they could launch further attacks if chemical weapons were used again.

Continue Reading

Middle East

Militias unlawfully detain, torture thousands in Libya, says UN

These facilities are notorious for endemic torture and other human rights violations or abuses.

Published

on

Human Rights Zeid Raad al- Hussein

Geneva, April 11 (IANS/AKI) Armed groups in Libya, including those affiliated with the state, hold thousands of people in prolonged arbitrary and unlawful detention and submit them to torture and other human rights violations and abuses, the United Nations said on Tuesday.

“Men, women and children across Libya are arbitrarily detained or unlawfully deprived of their liberty based on their tribal or family links and perceived political affiliations,” says the report by the UN Human Rights Office.

“Victims have little or no recourse to judicial remedy or reparations, while members of armed groups enjoy total impunity.

“This report lays bare not only the appalling abuses and violations experienced by Libyans deprived of their liberty, but the sheer horror and arbitrariness of such detentions, both for the victims and their families,” said UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Raad al- Hussein.

“These violations and abuses need to stop – and those responsible for such crimes should be held fully to account.”

Since renewed hostilities broke out in 2014, armed groups on all sides have rounded up suspected opponents, critics, activists, medical professionals, journalists and politicians, the report says. Hostage-taking for prisoner exchanges or ransom is also common. Those detained arbitrarily or unlawfully also include people held in relation to the 2011 armed conflict – many without charge, trial or sentence for over six years.

The report, published in cooperation with the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), summarises the main human rights concerns regarding detention in Libya since the country’s rival political factions signed a deal on December 17, 2015 that led to the formation of a UN-backed unity government.

The implementation of provisions in the deal to address the plight of people detained arbitrarily for prolonged periods of time has stalled, the report notes.

“Rather than reining in armed groups and integrating their members under State command and control structures, successive Libyan governments have increasingly relied on them for law enforcement, including arrests and detention; paid them salaries; and provided them with equipment and uniforms,” the report says.

As a result, the power of these armed groups has grown unchecked and they have remained free of effective government oversight, according to the report.

Some 6,500 people were estimated to be held in official prisons overseen by the Ministry of Justice’s judicial police, as of October 2017. There are no available statistics for facilities nominally under the Interior and Defence ministries, nor for those run directly by armed groups, the report notes.

“These facilities are notorious for endemic torture and other human rights violations or abuses,” the report states.

For example, the detention facility at Mitiga airbase in Tripoli holds an estimated 2,600 men, women and children, most without access to judicial authorities. In Kuweifiya prison, the largest detention facility in eastern Libya, some 1,800 people are believed to be held.

There have also been consistent allegations of deaths in custody. The bodies of hundreds of individuals taken and held by armed groups have been uncovered in streets, hospitals, and rubbish dumps, many with bound limbs and marks of torture and gunshot wounds, the report says.

“The widespread prolonged arbitrary and unlawful detention and endemic human rights abuses in custody in Libya require urgent action by the Libyan authorities, with support from the international community,” says the report.

State and non-State actors that effectively control territory and exercise government-like functions must as a first step release those detained arbitrarily or otherwise unlawfully deprived of their liberty, the report said.

The report calls on the authorities to publicly and unequivocally condemn torture, ill-treatment and summary executions of those detained, and ensure accountability for such crimes.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular