Connect with us

Australia

Two bailiffs, suspect dead in US courthouse shooting

Published

on

GUNSHOT

A US inmate shot dead two bailiffs on Monday at a courthouse in the state of Michigan before responding officers returned fire and killed him, authorities said.

A deputy sheriff and a civilian were also shot and wounded in the shooting at the Berrien County courthouse in St. Joseph city, about 160 km from Chicago, Berrien County Sheriff Paul Bailey said at a press conference.

The shooting occurred at 2:25 p.m. on the third floor of the courthouse when the inmate being moved to the courthouse grabbed a gun from a law enforcement officer and opened fire, Xinhua reported.

The identity of the inmate was not released. But Bailey said that the inmate had been in custody for “several charges”.

The deputy sheriff was rushed to hospital for treatment and was in stable condition, he said.

An investigation was underway, Bailey said.

The shooting came amid tensions across the US following the killing of five police officers in Dallas, the state of Texas, last week by an army veteran upset about the fatal police shootings of two black men in the US states of Louisiana and Minnesota.

The police shootings in Louisiana and Minnesota have ignited nationwide protests by African Americans against police brutality and racial discrimination.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Australia

Australian Robert Doyle quits over sexual harassment allegations

The investigation was opened in December after Doyle was accused of sexual misconduct by Councilor Tessa Sullivan, who stepped down from her role over Doyle’s alleged behaviour.

Published

on

Robert Doyle

The Lord Mayor of Melbourne has announced his resignation after he was accused in 2017 of sexual harassment, his deputy said on Monday.

Image result for Lord Mayor of Melbourne

Robert Doyle

Robert Doyle’s resignation was confirmed by Deputy Lord Mayor Arron Wood here, Efe news reported.

Doyle’s resignation comes after his lawyers advised last week that he was “suffering serious ill health” due to stress resulting from the claims.

“All parties involved in these circumstances are very distressed and my thoughts are with everyone involved,” Wood said.

“We recognise that this is an extremely difficult time for Doyle, his wife Emma Page-Campbell, and his four children. We are very hopeful that he has a full and speedy recovery from his current ill health,” he added.

“Additional time was required to finalise the probe into the allegations made against him,” a statement by the City of Melbourne siad.

The investigation was opened in December after Doyle was accused of sexual misconduct by Councilor Tessa Sullivan, who stepped down from her role over Doyle’s alleged behaviour.

Doyle welcomed the investigation, calling the allegations “thoroughly abhorrent”, and said he would “cooperate fully to clear (his) name”.

Continue Reading

Australia

Austria’s Supreme Court allows same-sex marriage from 2019

Published

on

Same Sex Wedding

Same-sex couples will be allowed to get married in Austria from 2019, the Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday. It said the current law violates the principle of non-discrimination.

The move brings Austria into line with many other European nations, including Germany, France, Britain, and Spain. Austria’s constitutional court examined a 2009 law which allows registered partnerships for same-sex couples, but prevents them from getting married, at the request of two women who were rejected by two lower authorities, Reuters said.

Continue Reading

Australia

Malaysia Airlines plane forced to return to Melbourne

Published

on

Malaysia Airline-wefornews-min

Melbourne, June 1, 2017: A Malaysia Airlines plane was forced to return to the Melbourne airport after a man who claiming to have a bomb tried to enter the cockpit of the aircraft, police said on Thursday.

Flight MH128 from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, was forced to return after take-off at 11.11 p.m. on Wednesday night when a 25-year-old student from Sri Lanka tried to enter the cockpit, reports the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).

The man, who has been living in Dandenong in Melbourne’s south-east, was tackled by crew members and several passengers, who overpowered him and tied him up with belts.

Heavily-armed police wearing helmets and body armour and carrying rifles boarded the aircraft after it landed, and placed the man under arrest.

Victoria State Police later said the incident was not being treated as terrorism.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said the man was carrying a “speaker-type device”, ABC reported.

“It looked to me like a slightly larger version of an iPhone…As one of these bluetooth-type speakers. It has cords that allow you to plug it into some sort of phone device to play music on,” he said.

Commissioner Ashton said the man was released from psychiatric care earlier on Wednesday.

Ashton said the man was likely to face Melbourne Magistrates’ Court later on Thursday.

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular