TV18, Turner Broadcasting renew pact for CNN-IBN | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs TV18, Turner Broadcasting renew pact for CNN-IBN – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Business

TV18, Turner Broadcasting renew pact for CNN-IBN

Published

on

Mumbai, Dec 1 : Home grown media and entertainment group TV-18, now a part of the Reliance Industries stable, on Tuesday said it has renewed its pact with Turner Broadcasting System to offer viewers news, views and debates with a global perspective on the CNN-IBN platform.

“Both parties embark on this new chapter with a determination to refresh CNN-IBN and provide a credible, non-partisan service that will deliver the latest news about local affairs and an Indian perspective to international developments,” a company statement said.

The agreement remains the same two-fold — brand licensing and content sharing partnership. The duration of the pact, however, was not shared. The renewal also comes just ahead of the much-awaited launch of Reliance Jio 4G services that also has interests in the digital content space.

“In this second term of our collaboration, we aim to present a brand new CNN IBN that will bring news with even greater speed, accuracy, clarity and credibility and keep the viewers tuned in to the latest news and developments much ahead of others,” said Adil Zainulbhai, chairman of TV18.

“We are really excited about the future of CNN IBN and together with the new management at TV18,” added Rani Raad, chief commercial Officer of CNN International.

Asked as to what led to the change of heart after parting ways earlier this year, a spokesperson for the Indian entity said CNN and the new management at TV18 renewed their interest with a new-found commitment to invest together and further in the brand they jointly built.

“In this second term, CNN and TV18 will forge a much closer working relationship to enable CNN IBN’s globally-savvy viewers to stay ahead. There is renewed interest and commitment from both sides,” the spokesperson added.

The spokesperson also said editorial control and day-to-day running of the channel will remain as before with an editorial team of CNN-IBN. The two groups, the spokesperson added, will also work more closely with collaborations and resource sharing to refresh the channel significantly.

A part of the larger Time Warner Group, CNN has 42 editorial offices and more than 1,100 affiliates worldwide through CNN Newssource.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

16.8mn Americans seek unemployment aid amid pandemic

Hicks said job losses will propel the US unemployment rate over 15 per cent by the end of April, and “perhaps higher in later months”.

Published

on

Donald Trump MSNBC

Washington, April 10 : Newly released data has revealed that 6.6 million Americans filed initial unemployment claims last week, bringing the three-week total to a staggering 16.8 million and underscoring the mounting economic fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic.

In the week ending April 4, the number of people filing for unemployment benefits slightly decreased by 261,000 to 6,606,000, after setting a second straight record in previous week, the US Bureau of Labour Statistics reported on Thursday.

“The very large spikes in weekly jobless claims, which were over 6 million for two consecutive months, suggests a much broader set of job closures in the short run,” Michael Hicks, director of the Center for Business and Economic Research at Ball State University in Indiana, told Xinhua news agency email.

“The very rapid adoption of shelter-in-place orders by US Governors is clearly causing a significant reduction in employment across the states implementing it,” Hicks said.

As the pandemic continues to sweep across the country, over 40 states and the District of Columbia have ordered residents to stay at home unless necessary.

Deborah Birx, the COVID-19 response coordinator for the White House Coronavirus Task Force, has recently discouraged Americans from visiting the grocery store and pharmacy.

Hicks, however, noted that it was also possible that some workers will find work in other sectors (grocery and delivery stores) and for some businesses to reopen after acquiring sufficient personal protective equipment, or separating workers in an assembly line or factory.

The newly released number came after the figure spiked by 3 million to reach a record 3.3 million in the week ending March 21, and then surged by 3.34 million to reach 6.65 million in the week ending March 28, which was revised up 6,87 million.

The report also showed that the four-week moving average, a method to iron out data volatility, increased by 1,598,750 to 4,265,500.

The advance seasonally adjusted insured unemployment rate was 5.1 percent for the week ending March 28, an increase of 3.0 percentage points from the previous week’s unrevised rate, according to the report.

Hicks said job losses will propel the US unemployment rate over 15 per cent by the end of April, and “perhaps higher in later months”.

As COVID-19 cases continue to climb, non-essential businesses, such as theatres, museums, gyms and shopping malls, are largely shut down, and restaurants and bars are asked to avoid in-person dining, effectively paralyzing the consumption-driven US economy.

As of Friday morning, 465,750 confirmed cases have been reported across the US, with 16,684 deaths, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at the Johns Hopkins University.

Continue Reading

Business

Russia, US, Saudi agree to coordinate actions on oil market stabilization

As a result, the oil price plummeted to $22 per barrel which is the sharpest fall in 20 years.

Published

on

oill

Moscow, April 10 : Russia, the US and Saudi Arabia have agreed to coordinate actions on stabilizing oil markets and minimize the impact of oil price volatility on global economy, the Kremlin said in a statement on Friday.

“Today, Russian President Vladimir Putin had a phone conversation with US President Donald Trump and Saudi Arabia King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud,” the state-run TASS News Agency quoted the Kremlin press service as saying in the statement.

The sides confirmed “determination to coordinate actions to stabilize the situation in the global oil trade and minimize the negative impact of volatile oil price quotations to the global economy”, it said.

According to the statement, the sides discussed the situation on oil markets, including with regard to the emergency OPEC+ ministerial meeting and the upcoming video conference of G20 energy ministers.

The plan on oil production cuts within the OPEC+ framework envisages that Russia and Saudi Arabia will reduce their oil production by 2.5 million barrels per day, from the current 11 million barrels to 8.5 million barrels per day in May-June, according to a draft agreement obtained by TASS.

During a video conference that began on Thursday, OPEC+ nations have been discussing the situation on the oil market and proposed cuts.

The previous OPEC+ agreement expired on March 31.

After that Russia and Saudi Arabia failed to agree on the terms of its extension.

The parties’ withdrawal from the agreement pushed OPEC+ to increase production, which coincided with a sharp decline in oil demand caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

As a result, the oil price plummeted to $22 per barrel which is the sharpest fall in 20 years.

In late March, the partners decided to resume consultations and to invite more oil producing countries to take part in the joint activities to balance the oil market.

Continue Reading

Business

US stocks rise after jobless blowout, Federal stimulus

Published

on

us stock

New York, April 10 : US stocks gained after another massive jump in the country’s initial jobless claims and the Federal Reserve’s latest move to support the economy amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Thursday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 285.8 points, or 1.22 per cent, to close at 23,719.37. The S&P 500 was up 39.84 points, or 1.45 per cent, to 2,789.82. The Nasdaq Composite Index increased 62.67 points, or 0.77 per cent, to 8,153.58, Xinhua news agency reported.

The number of initial jobless claims in the United States totalled 6.6 million last week amid mounting economic fallout from COVID-19, following a similarly staggering figure the week earlier, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics reported on Thursday.

The newly released number came after the figure spiked by 3 million to reach a record 3.3 million in the week ending March 21, and then surged by 3.34 million to reach 6.65 million in the week ending March 28, which was revised up to 6.87 million in the new report.

COVID-19 continues to impact the number of initial claims. Its impact is also reflected in the increasing levels of insured unemployment, the bureau noted.

The Federal Reserve on Thursday announced additional actions to provide up to US $2.3 trillion in loans to support the economy.

“This funding will assist households and employers of all sizes and bolster the ability of state and local governments to deliver critical services during the coronavirus pandemic,” the US central bank said in a statement.

“The number of new claimants since the coronavirus hit the numbers is 17 million. Bear in mind, many people are out of work and have not filed. Many more are not eligible,” Chris Low, chief economist at FHN Financial, said in a note on Thursday.

“Stocks are up because the damage to the economy — evident in claims — is beyond comprehension, while the response of the Fed is easier to understand,” he added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular