Eight civilians among 11 dead in Turkish assault on Syria: monitor | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Eight civilians among 11 dead in Turkish assault on Syria: monitor – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Middle East

Eight civilians among 11 dead in Turkish assault on Syria: monitor

Published

on

Turkish operation on Syria
  • UK has “serious concerns” over Turkey military action in Syria: FM
  • Saudi condemns Turkey’s “aggression” in Syria: ministry
  • Turkey starts ground offensive into Syria: defence ministry
  • Syria: Trump says he hopes Turkey’s Erdogan ‘will act rationally’
  • UAE condemns Turkish aggression in Syria
  • Bahrain condemns Turkish military attack on northeastern Syria

The West’s Syrian Kurdish allies announced on Wednesday that they were halting all operations against Isil as they rushed their forces to face the long-awaited Turkish assault on northeast Syria.

Turkish bombardment on Kurdish-controlled areas in northeastern Syria killed at least 11 people on Wednesday, eight of them civilians, a monitoring group said.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 11 of the civilian victims were killed in artillery strikes on the city of Qamishli.

Saudi condemns Turkey’s “aggression” in Syria: ministry

Saudi Arabia condemned on Wednesday the aggression launched by the Turkish army on northeast Syria, an official at the foreign ministry said.

The foreign ministry official said that the Turkish aggression is a blatant violation of the unity, independence and sovereignty of the Syrian territories.

Bahrain condemns Turkish military attack on northeastern Syria

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Bahrain strongly condemned the military attack by Turkey on areas in northeast of Syria, “which is a violation of the rules of international law and an attack on the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Syria.”

While supporting the call for an emergency meeting of the Arab League to take a unified Arab position toward this aggression.

The Foreign Ministry called on “the UN Security Council to accelerate its responsibilities in confronting this attack, in order to maintain peace and security and to provide a supportive atmosphere to continue efforts aimed at finding a peaceful solution in Syria.”

UAE condemns Turkish aggression in Syria

The United Arab Emirates condemned on Wednesday the Turkish aggression in northeast Syria, according to a tweet carried by the Emirates News Agency (WAM).

The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said that “this aggression represents a dangerous development and a flagrant and unacceptable aggression against the sovereignty of a brotherly Arab state in contravention of the rules of international law,” according to the statement.

The ministry affirmed the “UAE’s firm stance and rejection of all that affects the sovereignty of Arab national security and threatens international peace and security, warning of the consequences of this aggression on the unity and territorial integrity of Syria and the political process in it.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Disaster

Israel reports 16,757 COVID-19 cases, 281 deaths

Earlier in the day, the Israeli transport ministry announced the full resumption of the state’s railway system on June 8.

Published

on

israel coronavirus

Jerusalem, May 26 : The Israeli health ministry has reported 17 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number in the country to 16,757.

After four consecutive days without death cases, the ministry on Monday reported two new fatalities, bringing the death toll from the COVID-19 to 281, Xinhua reported.

The number of patients in serious condition decreased from 44 to 41, out of 115 patients currently hospitalized, the lowest number of hospitalized patients since March 12.

The number of recoveries increased by 154 to 14,457, while the active cases decreased to 2,019.

Earlier in the day, the Israeli transport ministry announced the full resumption of the state’s railway system on June 8.

China and Israel have cooperated on fighting the COVID-19 pandemic. On February 11, the Tel Aviv Municipality Hall, a landmark in the Israeli city, was illuminated with the colours of China’s national flag, showing solidarity with China in the fight against the novel coronavirus.

On March 19 and April 1, two video conferences were held between Chinese doctors and Israeli counterparts to share experience in containing the virus’ spread and treatment of the infected patients.

Continue Reading

Middle East

Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s family ‘forgives’ his killers

In December 2019, a court sentenced five unnamed men to death for their role in his killing after a secretive trial in Riyadh.

Published

on

By

journalist Jamal Khashoggi

Riyadh, May 22 : The family of murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi on Friday released a statement forgiving his killers.

The statement was posted to the Twitter account of Salah Khashoggi, one of the late journalist’s sons, on Friday, the BBC reported.

“In this blessed night of the blessed month (of Ramzan) we remember God’s saying: If a person forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allah,” Salah, who lives in the Saudi city of Jeddah, wrote.

“Therefore we the sons of the Martyr Jamal Khashoggi announce pardoning those who killed our father, seeking reward God almighty.”

The journalist, who had gone into self-imposed exile in the US in 2017, went to the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2n 2018 seeking documents to get married to fiance Hatice Cengiz.

Investigators believe that he was murdered and dismembered while she waited outside, but his remains have never been recovered.

Saudi officials initially claimed he had left the building alive and their account of events changed several times in the weeks after his disappearance.

After offering changing accounts of his disappearance, Saudi authorities eventually submitted he was killed in a botched operation by a team tasked with getting him to return to the country, reports the BBC.

In December 2019, a court sentenced five unnamed men to death for their role in his killing after a secretive trial in Riyadh.

Salah has previously issued statements expressing his confidence in, and support of, the Saudi investigation.

He has also previously criticised “opponents and enemies” of Saudi Arabia who he said had tried to exploit his father’s death to undermine the country’s leadership.

Last year, the Washington Post said in a report that Khashoggi’s children had received homes and monthly payments as compensation for the killing of their father.

But Salah, Khashoggi’s eldest son, was the only sibling who intended to carry on living in Saudi Arabia, the newspaper said.

Continue Reading

Middle East

New Israeli govt sworn in after 508 days of impasse

Netanyahu was sworn in as Prime Minister and will head the government for the fifth term of his political career.

Published

on

By

Netanyahu and Gantz

Jerusalem, May 18 : Israels 35th government was sworn in at the Knesset (Parliament), bringing an end to a 508-day political impasse.

On Sunday night, the Knesset voted 73-46 in favour of the new coalition government agreed by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his former rival, Benny Gantz, reports The Times of Israel.

Netanyahu was sworn in as Prime Minister and will head the government for the fifth term of his political career.

Gantz, also the Chairman of the Blue and White Party, was sworn in as “alternate Prime Minister and future Prime Minister” as well as Defence Minister.

Netanyahu, Israel’s longest-serving leader who was first elected as Prime Minister in 1996 and has served three consecutive terms since 2009, promised to hand over the premiership to Gantz on November 17, 2021.

“We established the precise terms under which our agreement will be fulfilled and will not be fulfilled,” Netanyahu said later in a Channel 12 interview, amid widespread scepticism that he will honour the deal.

“I will fulfil exactly, but exactly, what is written in the agreement. It is my intention and my goal to do so. And there is no reason for me to say anything to you but, yes, that’s what we will do.”

In addition to Netanyahu and Gantz, 32 ministers were sworn in, including the first female ultra-Orthodox Minister, Omer Yankelevich (Diaspora affairs), and the first Ethiopia-born Minister, Pnina Tamano-Shata (immigration and absorption), in Israel’s history, said The Times of Israel report.

Totaling 73 lawmakers, the coalition will include 35 MKs from the Likud party, 16 from the Blue and White party, nine from the Shas party, seven from the United Torah Judaism party, two from the Labor party, two from the Derech Eretz party, one from the Jewish Home party and one from the Gesher party.

Speaking at the cabinet’s first meeting, which took place immediately after the swearing-in ceremony, Netanyahu told the new Ministers that the COVID-19 pandemic topped the government’s agenda.

The second mission would be to pass a state budget and revive the economy, while the third item would be to combat Iran, he said.

The fourth was fighting the war crimes probe in the International Criminal Court and the fifth was the diplomatic issue of West Bank annexation.

Gantz spoke after Netanyahu, saying Israel was ending the “worst political crisis in its history” and calling for an end to “the era of incitement” and the start of an “era of reconciliation”.

He said he would do everything so that all Israeli citizens — Jewish or Arab, heterosexual or LGBT — would “feel at home”.

Meanwhile, the new government’s swearing-in comes just a week before Netanyahu’s criminal trial over his suspected corruption.

His trial on charges of bribery, breach of trust and fraud will start on May 27, but he denies any wrong-doing, slamming the allegations as part of “a witch hunt”.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular