Connect with us

World

Trump plans to overturn immigration veto in SC 

Published

on

TRUMP-WEFORNEWS-min

Washington, March 16: US President Donald Trump has said he will go to the Supreme Court to overturn a ruling by a federal judge that blocks his new immigration ban order, a media report said.

“We’re going to fight this terrible ruling. We’re going to take this as far as we need to, right up to the Supreme Court. We’re going to win and we’re going to keep our citizens safe,” Trump said at a rally in Nashville, Tennessee on Wednesday.

Trump lashed out at the ruling by US District Judge Derrick Watson, based in Honolulu, Hawaii, who on Wednesday blocked Trump’s revised travel ban, which bars the entry into the US of immigrants from six Muslim-majority countries and all refugees.

The President labelled Watson’s ruling “an unprecedented judicial overreach” and reiterated that the constitution gives him powers to suspend immigration for national security, Efe news reported.

Trump warned that he would take this legal battle to the Supreme Court.

“I think we ought to go back to the first one and go all the way (to the Supreme Court), which is what I wanted to do in the first place,” Trump said, referring to his first immigration ban order that was blocked in early February and which was followed by his brief but unsuccessful legal battle.

On March 6, Trump presented a “watered-down” version of his immigration order, which introduced changes like cutting Iraq from the list of banned countries.

The new ban suspended the refugee program for 120 days and banned citizens from Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen, and Libya from entering the country for 90 days.

The second order also amended a provision on Syrian refugees, who will be banned from entering the country for 120 days and not indefinitely, as the original order had established.

IANS

America

Trump says Kim Jong Un wants to meet ‘as soon as possible’ and that he’s ‘very honorable’

Published

on

Kim Jong Donald Trump
  • President Donald Trump continued his recent trend of praising North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Tuesday by saying he was “very honorable” and “very open.”

  • Trump has a habit of mixing praise of Kim with threats, but has lately taken to praising the North Korean leader.

  • Trump is set to become the first US president to ever meet face to face with a North Korean leader after Kim made a set of stunning concessions and appeared to cave to US demands, but experts are skeptical.

President Donald Trump continued his recent trend of praising North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Tuesday by saying he was “very honorable” and “very open” ahead of a planned meeting between the two leaders.

“Kim Jong Un – he really has been very open and, I think, very honorable from everything we’re seeing,” Trump said to reporters, as French President Emmanuel Macron visited the White House.

Trump has proven eager to meet with and conduct diplomacy with Kim despite spending almost all of 2017 threatening North Korea with nuclear annihilation and responding to Pyongyang’s own threats.

But since the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics in South Korea, and sweeping rounds of US-led sanctions after intercontinental ballistic missile tests and a massive nuclear test, Kim has opened himself up to diplomacy.

First North Korea offered to meet South Korean President Moon Jae-in, then made the same offer to Trump, and then Kim unexpectedly went to Beijing to meet Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Trump reportedly accepted the offer to meet Kim without consulting his secretary of state at the time, Rex Tillerson. South Korea’s Moon was less eager, but ultimately agreed when Kim agreed to meet his conditions.

Trump previously said he’d be “honored” to talk to Kim, which he now looks likely to achieve.

He’s also expressed admiration for Kim’s leadership of North Korea, despite the fact that the regime runs labor camps that have been likened to Auschwitz in Nazi-controlled Europe.

“Not many 27-year-old men could go in and take over a regime … Say what you want, but that’s not easy – especially at that age,” Trump told ABC News before his inauguration in January 2016.

“How many young guys – he was like 26 or 25 when his father died – take over these tough generals, and all of a sudden … he goes in, he takes over, and he’s the boss,” Trump said. “You gotta give him credit.”

Trump is set to become the first US president to ever meet face to face with a North Korean leader after Kim made a set of stunning concessions and appeared to cave to US demands.

But experts warn Business Insider that North Korea has entered into and backed out of talks with the US before, and may simply be working to gain sanctions relief as the country’s economy falters.

 

Continue Reading

Middle East

Rouhani warns Trump against walking away from n-deal

I am telling those in the White House that if they do not live up to their commitments, the Iranian government will react firmly.

Published

on

trump-rouhani

Tehran, April 24 : Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Tuesday warned his US counterpart Donald Trump that abandoning a nuclear deal that the Tehran government signed with world powers in 2015 would lead to “serious consequences”.

Speaking live on television, Rouhani said his government had kept its end of the deal and warned Trump not to tear up the agreement, which had also been signed by Russia, China, Germany, the UK and France.

“I am telling those in the White House that if they do not live up to their commitments, the Iranian government will react firmly,” Rouhani said.

“If anyone betrays the deal, they should know that they would face severe consequences,” he added.

Trump has said that unless the US’ European allies put right what he has described as “terrible flaws” in the deal by May 12, his government would re-establish economic sanctions on Iran, dealing the pact a major blow, Xinhua news agency reported.

Rouhani stressed that Iran was complying with the deal, as has been confirmed a dozen times by the International Atomic Energy Agency, whose Director General Yukiya Amano said in March that a possible failure of the agreement would be a great loss.

French President Emmanuel Macron was in Washington in an attempt to try and persuade Trump not to walk away from the accord.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Monday he had agreed with his Chinese counterpart that Moscow and Beijing would try to block any US attempt to wreck the nuclear deal.

Iran has said it would ramp up its nuclear programme if the deal collapses.

Continue Reading

World

Xi-Modi to arrive at consensus on important issues: Vice Foreign Minister Kong

Published

on

Beijing, April 24: Chinese President Xi Jinping and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi may arrive at a consensus on some very important issues at their informal two-day summit this week in China’s central city of Wuhan, Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Kong Xuanyou said on Tuesday.

Kong, while talking to the Indian and Chinese journalists, said that “this would be an unprecedented summit (April 27-28) between the Chinese and Indian leaders”.

He said both Xi and Modi need to become “bosom friends” and have heart-to heart conversation.

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular