Connect with us

World

Trump names ex-ambassador John Bolton as new National Security Adviser

Published

on

Washington, March 23: US President Donald Trump has named former ambassador and Fox News analyst John Bolton as his new National Security Adviser replacing Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster, media reports said.

The President announced the news in a tweet on Thursday, saying that Bolton would take the job starting April 9, making him Trump’s third National Security Adviser in the first 14 months of his presidency, reports The Washington Post.

“I (am) pleased to announce that, effective 4/9/18, @AmbJohnBolton will be my new National Security Advisor. I am very thankful for the service of General H.R. McMaster who has done an outstanding job and will always remain my friend. There will be an official contact handover on 4/19,” he tweeted.

Bolton’s appointment does not require Senate confirmation.

Following Trum’s tweet, McMaster said in a statement released by the White House: “After 34 years of service to our nation, I am requesting retirement from the US Army effective this summer after which I will leave public service… I am thankful to President Donald Trump for the opportunity to serve him and our nation as National Security Adviser.”

Trump and Bolton have been discussing for weeks how he could replace McMaster, CNN quoted an informed source as saying.

Shortly after the news broke, Bolton said on Fox News that he was not expecting an announcement to be made Thursday afternoon.

According to the source, Trump and Bolton had met earlier on Thursday.

Bolton’s hard edged, hawkish views on issues like North Korea, Iraq and Syria make him a controversial pick especially ahead of a proposed meeting between Trump and North Korea’s Kim Jong-un.

Bolton is a fierce North Korea hawk who, in his prolific writings and television commentary, has said that pre-emptive war would likely be the only way to stop North Korea from obtaining the capability to attack the US with a nuclear missile, reports The Washington Post.

Bolton had touted “the legal case for striking North Korea first” in an editorial in the Wall Street Journal.

However, Bolton, who had dismissed negotiations with North Korea as a waste of time, moderated his views slightly after Trump announced he would sit down with Kim, suggesting that the encounter between the two leaders would be short and largely devoid of traditional diplomacy.

Regarding Iran, Bolton told Fox News in January that Trump should dump the nuclear deal, re-impose economic sanctions on Tehran and work toward an overthrow of the government there.

Bolton had previously served in the George W. Bush administration in a key arms-control job.

IANS

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Trump warns Iran’s Rouhani: Threaten US and you will suffer

Published

on

Washington, July 23:  President Donald Trump on Sunday warned Iran of “consequences that Tehran have never ever suffered” is it threatens the United States.

 

“NEVER, EVER THREATEN THE UNITED STATES AGAIN OR YOU WILL SUFFER CONSEQUENCES THE LIKES OF WHICH FEW THROUGHOUT HISTORY HAVE EVER SUFFERED BEFORE,” he said on Twitter in a direct message to Iranian President Hassan Rouhani.

 

 

“WE ARE NO LONGER A COUNTRY THAT WILL STAND FOR YOUR DEMENTED WORDS OF VIOLENCE & DEATH. BE CAUTIOUS!” Trump said, writing the entire message in capital letters.

The response came after Rouhani earlier Sunday issued his own warning to the US leader not to “play with the lion’s tail,” saying that conflict with Iran would be the “mother of all wars”.

The  verbal confrontation   is reminiscent of the heated exchanges Trump had last year with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un,

Continue Reading

World

Macron orders reshuffle over President’s security aide scandal

Published

on

Emmanuel Macron

Paris, July 23:Emmanuel Macron has ordered reshuffling of the staff members after one of the French president’s top security officer was filmed hitting and stamping on a young man at a Paris demonstration while dressed as a police officer. Macron discussed the row with several ministers on Sunday.

Macron is under immense pressure to order an inquiry into the scandal that erupted when Le Monde published a video showing Alexandre Benalla, a senior member of security staff at the Élysée Palace, in a Paris square where riot police were using tear gas to move on young people during labour day street gatherings on 1 May. Alexandre Benalla, who was Macron’s top bodyguard, is seen dragging away a woman and then beating a man during May Day protests in Paris.

The French public prosecutor opened a preliminary inquiry on Thursday into a raft of possible charges including violence by a public official, pretending to be a member of the police and illegally using police insignia.

He has been charged with group violence and illegally wearing a police badge. Benalla was fired on Friday.
The French presidency has been accused of being aware of the incident and intentionally covering the scandal and failing to act swiftly against Benalla.
An official said Macron had described the incident “unacceptable” and promised there would be “no impunity”.

There rae reports that senior presidential official Alexis Kohler will rejig Macron’s private office so as to prevent a repeat of the incident.

Three policemen have also been charged in connection with the incident. They were questioned on Saturday for allegedly leaking security footage to try and prove Benalla’s innocence.

The video was posted on social media in May, but the case became a political scandal after Le Monde newspaper revealed that the attacker was Benalla, aged 26.

Continue Reading

World

Toronto Shooting : Multiple people shot outside restaurant

Published

on

Toronto, July 23: Multiple people were shot outside restaurant around 10 p.m. in Toronto, Canada’s Danforth.

According to police, the shooter is dead. Police also appealed to eye witness’ to provide any information about the shooting.

Toronto police said they they are investigating reports of a shooting in the area of Danforth and Logan avenues.

About eight people have been transported to various hospitals out of which six persons have been taken to trauma hospitals, one to a pediatric trauma center and one to a local hospital, Toronto Paramedic Services.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular