Trump clears 3 service members linked to war crimes | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Trump clears 3 service members linked to war crimes – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Published

on

Washington: US President Donald Trump has cleared three service members who were involved in war crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq.

With the presidential executive order, Trump on Friday issued for pardons for two soldiers, First Lt. Clint Lorance and Army Major Mathew Golsteyn, and reversed disciplinary action against Navy SEAL Edward R. Gallagher, Efe news quoted a White House statement as saying.

Trump has thus overturned the homicide charges against Lorance, who is serving a 20-year prison sentence for ordering his men to open fire on unarmed Afghan civilians, killing two of them in July 2012.

“Many Americans have sought executive clemency for Lorance, including 124,000 people who have signed a petition to the White House, as well as several members of Congress,” the statement said.

Golsteyn, an army officer, was set to stand trial for an alleged unlawful killing in Afghanistan 2020. He was charged last year with premeditated murder in 2010 of a suspected Taliban bomb maker who had been captured and released.

The officer has said he “shot the terrorist because he was certain that (his) bombmaking activities would continue to threaten American troops and their Afghan partners, including Afghan civilians”, said the statement.

The White House said a swift resolution to the case of Golsteyn was “in the interests of justice” and clemency was given after “broad support” for his pardon.

Gallagher, a former Chief Petty Officer, was convicted of posing with the body of a slain Islamic State fighter in Iraq.

The Navy SEAL was also charged in 2018 with opening fire on civilians in Iraq, murdering a captive militant, and threatening to kill fellow soldiers if they reported him.

He was alleged to have committed the crimes during his 2017 deployment in Iraq when he was leading a SEAL platoon as a Chief Petty Officer.

He was acquitted in July of these charges but demoted to petty officer first class for bringing disrepute to the armed forces by posing with the corpse of the captive.

Before his prosecution, the officer had been selected for promotion, awarded a Bronze Star with a “V” for valour, and assigned to an important position in the Navy as an instructor. He was stripped of these honours as he awaited his trial.

“Given his service to our nation, promotion back to the rank and pay grade of Chief Petty Officer is justified,” the White House said.

“For more than two hundred years, presidents have used their authority to offer second chances to deserving individuals, including those in uniform who have served our country. These actions are in keeping with this long history.”

Trump had already been involved in the Gallagher case when, pending his trial, the president sought to transfer him to a more comfortable detention centre.

According to US media reports, the Pentagon had advised Trump against issuing clemencies for the service members because it ran a risk of undermining the military authority.

But Trump was quoted in the White House statement saying: “when our soldiers fight for our country, I want to give them the confidence to fight.”


World

McConnell proposes resolution for Trump impeachment trial

Published

on

Donald Trump

Washington, Jan 21 US Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has proposed a draft resolution on schedules of the upcoming impeachment trial of President Donald Trump in the Republican-led upper chamber.The Senate will debate and vote on the resolution on Tuesday. Currently, the Senate has 53 Republicans, 45 Democrats and two Independents.

As expected, the four-page resolution does not require additional witnesses to be subpoenaed and does not allow House prosecutors to admit evidence into the Senate trial record until after the opening arguments are heard.

Instead, the resolution allows for a motion to be introduced to dismiss the impeachment charges by a simple majority vote.

According to the resolution, House impeachment managers will be allowed to begin their arguments 1 p.m. on Wednesday.

They will have 24 hours over two days to make their opening arguments when they begin to present their case against Trump on the Senate floor on Wednesday.

Similarly, the President’s legal team will also have two days to present their arguments.

The two-day rule means that presentations from both sides could go late into the night.

Votes on calling witnesses or documents will not be allowed until after the question phase of the trial. Senators will be given four hours to debate witnesses and documents.

If the Senate sticks to the schedule and later votes down motions to subpoena witnesses or documents, the trial could be finished by the end of next week, said a The Hill news report.

“It’s clear Senator McConnell is hell-bent on making it much more difficult to get witnesses and documents and intent on rushing the trial through,” Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer said in a statement on Monday.

On January 18, House Democrats unveiled a 111-page outline of their legal case, underlying the central assertion that the president abused his office, obstructed Congress and should be removed.

“The evidence overwhelmingly establishes that he is guilty of both. The only remaining question is whether the members of the Senate will accept and carry out the responsibility placed on them by the Framers of our Constitution and their constitutional Oaths,” the brief compiled by seven House managers reads.

Trump was alleged to have pressed Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky into launching investigations that could politically benefit him. Furthermore, the White House allegedly tried to cover it up after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi initiated an impeachment inquiry last September.

A whistleblower raised concerns about the White House’s interactions with Ukraine in an anonymous complaint last year.

Trump has denied any wrongdoing, repeatedly calling the impeachment “a hoax”.

Under the US Constitution, the House has the sole power of impeachment, while the Senate can try all impeachments.

Continue Reading

World

Iran warns of ‘final step’ on nuclear deal

Published

on

By

Ali Khamenei

Tehran, Jan 20 Iran on Monday Iran said it could take a “final and more effective” step concerning its nuclear deal if the other parties remain in default of their contractual obligations towards Tehran.

“If this trend continues, Iran will take this effective step,” Press TV quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi as saying at a press conference.

Since May 2019, Iran has been gradually reducing its commitments to the 2015 agreement, which is officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

The countermeasures came in response to the US’ withdrawal from the deal last year, its resumption of anti-Iranian sanctions, and refusal by Washington-aligned deal partners — the UK, France, and Germany — to guarantee Iran’s business interests under the JCPOA after the sanctions returned.

As part of the retaliatory steps, Iran stopped recognizing the limits set by the deal on the level of its enrichment activities and the volume of its heavy water reservoir.

On January 5, however, the country said it would no longer observe any operational limitations on its nuclear industry, whether concerning the capacity and level of uranium enrichment, the volume of stockpiled uranium or research and development.

The decision came two days after an American drone attack killed Iranian Major General Qasem Soleimani in Baghdad.

Mousavi on Monday said so far the countermeasures that have been taken by the Islamic Republic have been meant “to strike a balance” between the quality of Iran’s commitment to the JCPOA and the way others honour the accord.

Amid their continued violation of the JCPOA, the European trio even decided to formally trigger a dispute settlement mechanism featured in the deal that saw them accusing Iran of flouting the agreement.

Mousavi said, though, that despite the “betrayal” perpetrated by some European states, “the door to negotiation with them has not been closed yet”, adding” “The ball is in their court.”

Continue Reading

World

B’desh to introduce e-passports this week

Published

on

By

Indian Passport
file photo

Dhaka: Bangladesh is set to begin the distribution of e-passports on Wednesday, it was reported.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is expected to launch the e-passport distribution at an event scheduled to be held at the capital’s Bangabandhu International Conference Centre, bdnews24 quoted Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan as saying on Sunday.

The President and Prime Minister will receive THE e-passports first, he said, adding that anyone can apply for it.

The delivery of e-passports will start in regional offices by the end of 2020. The services will expand in phases, the Minister said, adding that machine-readable passports will remain valid as well.

The Department of Immigration and Passports will issue 48-page and 64-page e-passports with the validity of five years and 10 years, respectively.

The decision on introducing digital passport comes less than a decade after Bangladesh switched from manual to the machine-readable passport.

The government took the initiative to introduce e-passports in the wake of more than one passport being illegally issued against one person in the absence of database of fingerprints of citizens.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular