Connect with us

America

Trump changes tone on immigration

Published

on

donald trump

Washington, Aug 22 : Republican presidential nominee Donald J. Trump, appearing to temper his hard-line approach to tackling immigration, said on Monday that he wants to come up with a plan that is “really fair” to address the millions of undocumented immigrants now in the US.

The changed comments from Trump, who is planning a major immigration speech this week, comes after he vowed to build a wall along the border with Mexico and deport immigrants who have entered illegally. The strategy had helped propel Trump to winning the Republican presidential nomination, writes the New York Times.

Asked on Fox News if he was flip-flopping on his immigration ideas, Trump insisted that he still intends to be “strong” while emphasizing the importance of fairness.

“We want to come up with a really fair, but firm, answer,” Trump said. “It has to be firm. But we want to come up with something fair.”

Trump’s different tone could be an attempt to court moderate Republican voters disturbed by his tough stances on immigration. His remarks come as recent polls have shown him falling behind Hillary Clinton in several swing states.

Trump’s new campaign manager, Kellyanne Conway, signalled over the weekend that the candidate has been rethinking his approach.

Pressed in an interview on CNN as to whether a deportation force was still on the table as a law enforcement measure, Conway danced around the question before demurring.

“To be determined,” she said.

Over the weekend, Trump met with his newly formed Hispanic advisory council, and BuzzFeed reported that he expressed interest in finding a “humane and efficient” way to deal with undocumented immigrants that sounded at odds with his previous plan to remove them from the country.

During his primary campaign, Trump assailed all his Republican rivals for being too weak on immigration. He kicked off his campaign saying that Mexico was sending criminals and rapists into the country, vowed that Mexico would pay for his planned border wall, and called for the “mandatory return of all criminal aliens.”

On Sunday evening, the campaign of Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton released a statement scoffing at Trump’s potential change of heart on deportation, reported CNN.

“Donald Trump’s immigration plan remains the same as it’s always been: tear apart families and deport 16 million people from the United States,” said campaign chair John Podesta.

Jose Fuentes, a Trump supporter and the former attorney general of Puerto Rico, was at the roundtable with Trump on Saturday, and said he did not walk away with the interpretation that Trump was open to legalization for some undocumented immigrants.

He said it was Trump who brought up the issue of those who are in the US illegally and
asked the group to share their ideas on how to deal with them. Fuentes said that Trump used the language of wanting to handle the issue in a “fair,” “humane,” and “legal” way, but Fuentes said he didn’t automatically take that to mean that Trump was going allow some to stay or have legal status.

“He wanted to hear our ideas on how to deal with it. He requested that we put it in writing,” Fuentes told CNN. “But that doesn’t mean he’s going to take them or that he’s changed his mind.”

The new tone from Trump comes as be continues to struggle in the polls with nonwhite voters. Since reshuffling his campaign leadership last week, Trump has already expressed “regret” for remarks that he has made during the campaign that might have been hurtful, and he expanded his outreach to black voters. While it may be too late to win over skeptical Hispanic voters, expressing the desire to be more fair could still help Trump with swing voters, says the NYT.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

America

FBI should have informed me of Manafort investigation: Trump

Manafort has been under house arrest since he surrendered to the FBI in November 2017 after being indicted by a federal grand jury as part of the investigation by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, tasked with investigating Russian interference in the 2016 presidential elections.

Published

on

Donald Trump

Washington, June 4 (IANS) US President Donald Trump has questioned the fact that the FBI did not inform him about the investigation of his then campaign manager Paul Manafort ahead of the 2016 presidential election.

“As only one of two people left who could become President, why wouldn’t the FBI or Department of ‘Justice’ have told me that they were secretly investigating Paul Manafort (on charges that were 10 years old and had been previously dropped) during my campaign?” Trump said on Sunday on Twitter.

“Should have told me!” The President also said that Manafort joined his campaign “very late” and that he worked with him for “a short period of time,” specifically, between June and August 2016, Efe news reported.

Manafort has been under house arrest since he surrendered to the FBI in November 2017 after being indicted by a federal grand jury as part of the investigation by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, tasked with investigating Russian interference in the 2016 presidential elections.

The indictment charged Manafort with conspiracy against the United States, conspiracy to launder money, failure to file reports of foreign bank and financial accounts and being an unregistered agent of a foreign principal, among others.

Manafort had to step down as Trump’s campaign manager after it was discovered that he had failed to report receiving a $12.7 million payment for providing counsel to deposed pro-Moscow Ukranian President Viktor Yanukovych (2010-2016).

Manafort’s trial, after he pleaded not guilty to the charges at a court appearance on October 30, 2017, is set for July 24 in the state of Virginia.

Continue Reading

America

Ex-English teacher finds errors in White House letter

According to the former teacher, the letter she received did not address her concerns.

Published

on

White-House

New York, May 28 (IANS) A retired English teacher found many errors in a White House letter bearing President Donald Trumps signature and mailed it back after making corrections, a media report said.

The letter, dated May 3 and printed on White House stationery, was addressed to Yvonne Mason, 61, who retired in 2017. After she made the corrections, she snapped a picture, posted the letter on Facebook and mailed it back to the White House.

“It was a poorly worded missive,” she told The New York Times on Sunday.

“Poor writing is not something I abide. If someone is capable of doing better, then they should do better.”

Mason, a Democrat who lives in Atlanta, had written to Trump to ask that he visit each family of those who died in the shooting that killed 17 people at a school in Parkland, Florida, in February.

“I had written to them in anger, to tell you the truth,” she said. “I thought he owed it to these grieving families.”

According to the former teacher, the letter she received did not address her concerns.

Instead, it listed a series of actions taken after the shooting, like listening sessions, meetings with lawmakers and the STOP School Violence Act, a bill that would authorise $500 million over 10 years for safety improvements at schools but had no provisions related to guns.

Some of the things Mason wrote in the letter were: “Have y’all tried grammar & style check?”

“Federal is capitalised only when used as part of a proper noun.”

There was more, but she did not correct everything.

“I did not mention the dangling modifier… I focused mainly on mechanics,” Mason told The New York Times.

“Nation” was capitalised, so was “states”. She circled both the words.

The letter stood in contrast to other letters she has received from politicians, Mason said.

Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, sent “beautiful” letters that struck a tone that “makes me more important than him”, she said.

Continue Reading

America

George H.W. Bush hospitalised with low pressure

Published

on

George H.W. Bush

Washington, May 28 (IANS) Former US President George H.W. Bush was hospitalised to be treated for low blood pressure and fatigue, a family spokesman said.

“The former President is awake and alert, and not in any discomfort,” spokesman Jim McGrath tweeted on Sunday, adding that the 93-year-old will likely remain at Southern Maine Health Care in Biddeford, Maine, “for a few days for observation”.

Bush was released from Houston Methodist Hospital this month after being admitted for a virus just a few hours after attending the funeral of his wife, former first lady Barbara Bush, who died on April 17, reports Efe news.

Bush suffers from a type of Parkinson’s that hampers his ability to walk and has been hospitalised several times over the last few years for a variety of health conditions.

Last year, he was admitted in January and April for respiratory complications and had to undergo surgery.

In 2015, he fractured a neck vertebrae and in 2012 he spent Christmas at Houston Methodist Hospital due to bronchitis and a viral infection.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular