Trump apologises to Kavanaugh for his 'incredible pain', says he was 'proven innocent' | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Trump apologises to Kavanaugh for his ‘incredible pain’, says he was ‘proven innocent’ – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

Trump apologises to Kavanaugh for his ‘incredible pain’, says he was ‘proven innocent’

Published

on

Washington, Oct 9 : US President Donald Trump apologised to Associate Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh and his family “on behalf of our nation” for what he called a desperate Democrat-led campaign of “lies and deception” intent on derailing his confirmation.

Trump remarks came on Monday night during Kavanaugh’s swearing-in ceremony in the East Room of the White House, reports Fox News.

“On behalf of our nation, I want to apologise to Brett and the entire Kavanaugh family for the terrible pain and suffering you have been forced to endure,” Trump said.

“Those who step forward to serve our country deserve a fair and dignified evaluation, not a campaign of political and personal destruction based on lies and deception. What happened to the Kavanaugh family violates every notion of fairness, decency, and due process.

“In our country, a man or a woman must always be presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty,” he added.

Trump added that “under historic scrutiny”, Kavanaugh had been “proven innocent”.

The President harshly condemned the investigation which Kavanaugh was subjected to, without mentioning the allegations or the name of Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who testified before the Senate that Kavanaugh was going to rape her when they were in high school.

Following Ford’s testimony, Trump ordered the FBI to look into the matter. The FBI interviewed a limited number of witnesses in five days, without ruling on whether the new judge was guilty or innocent of the sexual abuse claims.

Taking the podium as the Supreme Court’s newest Justice, Kavanaugh acknowledged the partisan rancor that surrounded his confirmation and gripped the nation over the past two months, Fox News reported.

“I take this office with gratitude and no bitterness,” he said.

“My goal is to be a great justice, for all Americans, and for all of America… I will work very hard to achieve that goal. I was not appointed to serve one party or one interest, but one nation.”

The Monday evening oath was entirely ceremonial.

Kavanaugh took his official oaths in a private ceremony at the Supreme Court on Saturday, shortly after the Senate voted to confirm him by a narrow 50-48 margin.

Saturday’s vote was the closest to confirm a justice since 1881.

World

Nine drug addicts killed in Afghanistan shooting

Published

on

By

Kabul, Nine drug addicts were shot to death in an overnight shooting in a non-residential area in western side of Kabul, Afghanistan, the capital police said on Sunday.

“The shooting occurred at side of Qurugh Mountain in Police District 6 roughly at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday. Personnel of Kabul Criminal Investigation Police Department shifted the bodies to Forensic Science Service Department near Kabul University shortly after the shooting was reported,” Ferdaus Faramarz from Kabul police told Xinhua.

One arrest was made after the shooting and the motive behind the incident remained unclear. Further investigation is on, police added.

Continue Reading

World

31 civilians killed in Yemen airstrike: UN

Published

on

By

airstrikes-wefonews
Representative Images

An airstrike in the Yemeni northeastern province of al-Jawf has killed at least 31 civilians and injured 12 others, the UN humanitarian coordinator for Yemen said in a statement on Sunday.

“We share our deep condolences with the families of those killed and we pray for the speedy recovery of everyone who has been injured in these terrible strikes,” Lise Grande said in the statement obtained by Xinhua.

“Under international humanitarian law parties which resort to force are obligated to protect civilians. Five years into this conflict and belligerents are still failing to uphold this responsibility,” she added.

The victims were killed in the airstrike on Saturday that targeted a gathering of people at the site where a Tornado warplane of the Saudi-led coalition crashed in al-Masloub district in the southwest of al-Jawf, according to a local tribal source.

The victims were members of three relative families, the source said on condition of anonymity. The strike came hours after the Houthi rebels claimed to have shot down the Tornado warplane.

Meanwhile, the Saudi-led coalition confirmed that a Tornado warplane crashed in al-Jawf during an operation to support Yemen’s government forces. The coalition held Houthis responsible for the lives and safety of the plane’s crew, according to a statement carried by the Saudi-owned Al Arabiya television.

The Saudi-led coalition has been fighting the Iran-allied Houthi rebels since its intervention in the Yemeni conflict in March 2015 to support the internationally-recognized government of Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.

Continue Reading

World

Japan confirms 70 new coronavirus cases from cruise ship

Published

on

By

Coronavirus
Representative Images

Toky, Another 70 people aboard the virus-hit Diamond Princess cruise ship quarantined in Japan’s Yokohama have been tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing the total to 355 cases, Health Minister Katsunobu Kato confirmed on Sunday.

The health ministry said that the 70 new cases came out of 289 people tested, bringing the total number of those who have undergone tests to 1,219, Japan Times reported.

The cruise ship arrived in Japan earlier this month with more than 3,700 passengers and crew members from more than 50 countries and regions.

With global attention increasingly focused on the situation, the US Embassy sent a letter on Saturday to Americans aboard saying that a chartered aircraft, set to arrive in Japan on Sunday, would repatriate those who wished to leave the ship.

The US aircraft is set to depart from Haneda Airport in Tokyo on Monday, according to Japanese official japan will also cooperate with other countries that make similar arrangements to evacuate their citizens on the ship, Japanese government officials said.

More than a week has passed since the cruise ship was put under a two-week quarantine at Yokohama port after a passenger who disembarked in Hong Kong was found to be infected with COVID-19, the pneumonia-causing coronavirus.

Japan’s health ministry had initially planned to keep all of the passengers and crew confined on the vessel until Wednesday, when the quarantine is scheduled to end.

But the ministry decided last Thursday to let passengers 80 and older, as well as their traveling companions, leave before the end of the quarantine after they were screened for infection.

Those with pre-existing conditions or who were staying in cabins without windows were prioritized for disembarkation.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular