Connect with us

World

Trump administration to turn away asylum seekers at the borders

Published

on

Donald Trump

Washington, July 12 : US President Donald Trump’s administration will implement a new asylum policy at the border that will result in potentially thousands of asylum seekers being turned away before they can plead their case in court.

The guidance issued on Wednesday also applies to refugee applicants — immigrants seeking similar protections in the US who are still abroad, CNN reported.

Under the new guidance given to the officers who interview asylum seekers at the US’ borders and evaluate refugee applications, claims based on fear of gang and domestic violence will be immediately rejected.

In addition, the guidance tells officers they should consider whether an immigrant crossed the border illegally and weigh that against their claim, potentially rejecting even legitimate fears of persecution if the immigrant crossed illegally.

It says officers “may find an applicant’s illegal entry, including any intentional evasion of US authorities, and including any conviction for illegal entry where the alien does not demonstrate good cause for the illegal entry, to weigh against a favourable exercise of discretion” for asylum.

The guidance does note some illegal crossings may be warranted, including to “escape imminent harm”, but adds that officers “should consider whether the applicant demonstrated ulterior motives for the illegal entry that are inconsistent with a valid asylum claim that the applicant wished to present”.

The changes being implemented by the Department of Homeland Security come on the heels of Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ decision last month that gang and domestic violence victims no longer qualify for asylum.

Asylum protects migrants already in the US who fear persecution in their home country.

Sessions last month overturned an immigration appellate court’s decision to the contrary, reversing course after years of allowing such victims to stay. His decision is now binding for all the immigration judges in the country.

Most immigrants at the border are Central Americans, coming from countries that are hotbeds of gang violence.

Last month, more than 40,000 immigrants either tried to cross the border illegally or get through a legal crossing without paperwork, many of whom may have been seeking asylum.(IANS)

Analysis

All options under study: Imran’s advisor on India’s MFN move

Published

on

Protest against CRPF Attack

Islamabad, Feb 16 (IANS) Pakistan will consider all available options to retaliate for the Indian governments decision to withdraw the Most Favo­ured Nation (MFN) status, Prime Minister Imran Khan’s Advisor on Commerce Razak Dawood has said.

India withdrew the MFN status it gave to Pakistan in 1996 following the February 14 terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama district that has till now claimed the lives of 49 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers.

Dawood said on Friday that Pakistan might take unilateral measures against India or revoke concessions under the South Asia Preferential Trade Agreement (Sapta) and might take up the issue in the Geneva-based World Trade Organisation, Dawn online reported on Saturday.

“We would not overreact… We would take action with great care,” he added while addressing the media at the office of board of investment on Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman’s visit.

A Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) terrorist crashed a car bomb into a CRPF convoy in Pulwama district on the Srinagar-Jammu Highway on Thursday, making it the worst ever attack on security forces on any single day since a separatist campaign broke out in Jammu and Kashmir in 1989. It drew international condemnation.

The attack further damaged the already tense India-Pakistan diplomatic relations, with New Delhi saying it had evidence of Islamabad’s involvement in the carnage. Pakistan, however, dismissed accusations that it had links with the militants behind the attack.

Pakistan Foreign Secretary Tehmina Janjua met the envoys of the five Permanent Members of the UN Security Council – US, Russia, China, France and UK – on Friday and denied her country’s role in the dastardly strike.

India, however, rejected Janjua’s claims and said the “links are clear and evident and for all to see”, noting that JeM was based in Pakistan.

A spokesperson of the External Affairs Ministry termed as “preposterous” demands for an investigation saying there was a video of the suicide bomber declaring himself a member of the JeM.

India also demanded that Pakistan take immediate and verifiable action against terrorists and terror groups operating from territories under its control.

Meanwhile, Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi, who is currently in Munich, slammed India, saying that New Delhi should have acted more responsibly and engaged themselves with Pakistan by sharing evidence.

“Accusing Pakistan is very easy, you pass the buck,” he said.

“Pakistan has been very clear, our viewpoint is clear, and, specifically, the stance of this government has been plain and simple: we desire peace,” Qureshi said.

“We desire good relations with our neighbours, we neither wish to opt for the path of violence nor has this ever been part of our intentions,” he added.

Continue Reading

World

Saudi Crown Prince’s Pakistan visit delayed in wake of Pulwama terror attack

Published

on

Prince Mohammed bin Salman
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman

New Delhi, Feb 16: Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman’s visit to Pakistan has been delayed by a day. He is now scheduled to arrive in the country for a two-day visit starting from February 17 (Sunday), Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry said on Friday.

Earlier, the Saudi Crown Prince was slated to arrive in Islamabad on Saturday, but now the visit has been postponed by a day. The Pakistan foreign ministry did not divulge the reason behind the change in schedule, adding that the bilateral engagements “remains unchanged,” The Dawn reported.

This will be the Saudi Crown Prince’s maiden visit to Pakistan since becoming the heir to the throne in 2017. Security has been beefed up in the Pakistani capital ahead of his arrival.

The sudden change in schedule comes after Saudi Arabia strongly condemned the terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama district that claimed the lives of 40 CRPF soldiers. Pakistan-backed Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) claimed responsibility for the attack.

Denouncing the deadly assault, Saudi Arabia on Friday reinforced its support to India against terrorism and extremism, wishing for the speedy recovery of the wounded.

WeForNews

Continue Reading

World

US for India’s bid to name JeM Chief Masood Azhar as global terrorist

Published

on

John Bolton

New Delhi, Feb 16: The United States on Saturday, has extended support for India’s bid to designate Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) chief Masood Azhar as an international terrorist.

US National Security Advisor John Bolton in a telephonic conversation with his Indian counterpart Ajit Doval, backed India’s right to self-defence against cross-border terrorism.

Bolton offered all assistance to India to bring the perpetrators and backers of the attack promptly to justice. NSA Doval appreciated US support.

The suicide attack on a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) convoy carrying troopers towards Srinagar had blown up a bus when an explosives-packed SUV hit into the paramilitary vehicle, claiming lives of 40 troopers at the spot on February 14.

“The two NSAs vowed to work together to ensure that Pakistan cease to be a safe haven for JeM and terrorist groups that target India, the US and others in the region,” the External Affairs Ministry said in a statement.

WeForNews

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular