Trump administration advancing personal vendetta against us: Amazon | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Trump administration advancing personal vendetta against us: Amazon – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Business

Trump administration advancing personal vendetta against us: Amazon

Published

on

Jeff Bezos Amazon CEO

Washington, April 30 (IANS) Jeff Bezoz-run Amazon was left in shock when the Donald Trump administration put five of its foreign websites – India, Canada, the UK, Germany, France – on the “Notorious Markets” annual report for being havens for counterfeit products.

Not just Amazon, Snapdeal and four other Indian shopping areas have figured in the ‘Notorious Markets’ list for counterfeiting and piracy. The US trade representative’s (USTR) office also listed Tank Road in Delhi, Heera Panna in Mumbai, Kidderpore in Kolkata and Millennium Centre in Aizawl in the ‘notorious markets’ list.

“The Trump Administration is committed to holding intellectual property rights violators accountable and to ensuring that American innovators and creators have a full and fair opportunity to use and profit from their work,” US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said in a statement late Wednesday.

Amazon issued a statement, accused the White House of advancing the President’s “personal vendetta” against Amazon and its chief executive.

“The Administration wrongfully named Amazon’s stores in Canada, France, Germany, India and the UK to the US Trade Representative’s (USTR) annual Notorious Markets List, despite the fact that more than 99.9% of pages viewed worldwide by customers on Amazon have never had a report of counterfeit,” said the ecommerce giant.

“We strongly disagree with the characterization of Amazon in this USTR report. This purely political act is another example of the Administration’s notorious pattern of using the US government to advance a personal vendetta against Amazon,” the company stressed.

It’s, however, the first time a US business has been put on the notorious markets list.

“The Review of Notorious Markets for Counterfeiting and Piracy highlights 38 online markets and 34 physical markets that are reported to engage in or facilitate substantial trademark counterfeiting and copyright piracy,” said the Office of the US Trade Representative.

“This activity harms the American economy by undermining the innovation and intellectual property rights of US IP owners in foreign markets. An estimated 2.5 percent, or nearly half a trillion dollars’ worth, of imports worldwide are counterfeit and pirated products,” it added.

Amazon said it invested over $500 million last year and have more than 8,000 employees protecting its store from fraud and abuse.

“We also stopped over 2.5 million suspected bad actors from opening Amazon selling accounts before they published a single listing for sale, and we blocked more than 6 billion suspected bad listings before they were published to our stores,” it emphasized.

The company said it is an active, engaged stakeholder in the fight against counterfeit.

“However, in the last year for which data was published, only 0.1 per cent of filed federal criminal cases in the US involved charges for trafficking in counterfeit goods, and 56 per cent of counterfeiters sentenced that year received no jail time,” said Amazon.

Business

World Bank Sanctions $400 Million To Enhance Namami Gange Programme

“The government’s Namami Gange Programme has revitalized India”s efforts to rejuvenating the Ganga,” Junaid Ahmad, World Bank Country Director in India, said.

Published

on

By

Namami Gange

New Delhi, July 7 : The Indian government and the World Bank on Tuesday signed a loan agreement to enhance support for the Namami Gange programme that seeks to rejuvenate the Ganga.

The Second National Ganga River Basin Project will help stem pollution in the iconic river and strengthen the management of the river basin which is home to more than 500 million people.

The $400 million operation comprises a loan of $381 million and a proposed guarantee of up to $19 million.

The agreement for the $381 million loan was signed by Sameer Kumar Khare, Additional Secretary, Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance on behalf of the government, and Qaiser Khan, Acting Country Director (India), on behalf of the World Bank. The guarantee instrument will be processed separately.

Khare said that the Ganga is India”s most important cultural, economic and environmental resource, and the government”s Namami Gange programme seeks to ensure that the river returns to a pollution-free, ecologically healthy state.

The new project will extend the government”s and World Bank”s engagement in this critical national programme to make the Ganga a clean, healthy river.

The World Bank has been supporting the government”s efforts since 2011 through the ongoing National Ganga River Basin Project, which helped set up the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) as the nodal agency to manage the river, and financed sewage treatment infrastructure in several riverside towns and cities.

Rajiv Ranjan Mishra, Director General of the National Mission for Clean Ganga, said that the continuity provided by the Second National Ganga River Basin Project will consolidate the momentum achieved under the first World Bank project, and help NMCG introduce further innovations, and benchmark its initiatives against global best practices in river rejuvenation.

“The government’s Namami Gange Programme has revitalized India”s efforts to rejuvenating the Ganga,” Junaid Ahmad, World Bank Country Director in India, said. “The first World Bank project helped build critical sewage infrastructure in 20 pollution hotspots along the river, and this Project will help scale this up to the tributaries. It will also help government strengthen the institutions needed to manage a river basin as large and complex as the Ganga Basin.”

The sprawling Ganga Basin provides over one-third of India”s surface water, includes the country”s largest irrigated area, and is key to India”s water and food security. Over 40 per cent of India”s GDP is generated in the densely populated basin. But the Ganga river is today is facing pressures from human and economic activity that impact its water quality and flows.

Over 80 per cent of the pollution load in the Ganga comes from untreated domestic wastewater from towns and cities along the river and its tributaries. For this, sewage networks and treatment plants in select urban areas would be built to help control pollution discharges. These infrastructure investments and the jobs they will generate will also help India”s economic recovery from the Covid-19 (Coronavirus) crisis.

To ensure that these infrastructure assets function effectively and are well maintained, the project will build on the innovative Hybrid Annuity Model (HAM) of public private partnership introduced under the ongoing NGRBP, and which has become the solution of choice for sewage treatment investments in the Ganga Basin.

Under this model, the government pays a private operator 40 per cent of the capital cost to build a sewage treatment plant during the construction period; the remaining 60 per cent is paid as performance-linked payments over 15 years to ensure that the operator runs and maintains the plant efficiently.

The $400 million operation includes a proposed Guarantee of up to $19 million to backstop the government”s payment obligations for three Hybrid-Annuity-Model Public Private Partnership (HAM-PPP) investments on the Ganga”s tributaries.

The $381 million variable spread loan has a maturity of 18.5 years including a grace period of 5 years. The $19 million Guarantee Expiry Date will be 18 years from the Guarantee Effectiveness Date.

Continue Reading

Business

Government hints at incentives for resumption of film, TV production

“To accelerate the restart of filmmaking that had come to a standstill as a result of COVID, we are also coming up with incentives of production in all sectors, including TV serials, film-making, co-production, animation, gaming. We will be announcing these measures shortly,” Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar said on Tuesday..

Published

on

By

PRAKASH JAVEDAKAR-WEFORNEWS

Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar has announced that the government will soon issue Standard Operating Procedures to boost resumption of film production, at a time when the nation is witnessing the unlocking phase after the lockdown.

“To accelerate the restart of filmmaking that had come to a standstill as a result of COVID, we are also coming up with incentives of production in all sectors, including TV serials, film-making, co-production, animation, gaming. We will be announcing these measures shortly,” the minister said on Tuesday while speaking at the 21st edition of FICCI Frames.

Owing to the COVID- 19, this year the annual event was held virtually instead of being organised near Powai Lake, where it normally takes place.

The FICCI Frames Virtual Summit will continue till July 11.

As the nation witnesses a phased opening up of the Covid-19 induced lockdown, film industries across the country prepare to get back to action.

On Tuesday, Bollywood actress Taapsee Pannu took to Instagram Stories to announce she was back at work. She gave a glimpse of her make-up vanity room, sharing that she has started shooting amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

“Let’s do this. #BackToWork,” Taapsee captioned the image.

Also on Tuesday evening, trade analyst Taran Adarsh announced that a new Bengali film titled “SOS Kolkata” will be going on floors on Wednesday. The film starring Yash, Nusrat Jahan, Mimi Chakraborty, Sabyasachi Chakraborty and Shantilal Mukherjee in key roles, is slated for a Durga Puja release this year.

In Mumbai, Ekta Kapoor recently resumed shooting for her daily soap “Naagin 4”.

Continue Reading

Business

Economic mismanagement a tragedy, will destroy millions: Rahul Gandhi

The Congress leader has been raising the issue of economic problems Indians are facing due to the lockdown amid coronavirus pandemic.

Published

on

Rahul Gandhi

New Delhi, July 7 : Reacting to a research report that Indians are worst-hit on the economic front and that 8 out of 10 rural households had lost income during the coronavirus pandemic, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday alleged that the economic mismanagement was a tragedy that was out to destroy millions.

“India”s economic mismanagement is a tragedy that is going to destroy millions of families,” he tweeted.

He said that it would no longer be accepted silently.

The Congress leader has been raising the issue of economic problems Indians are facing due to the lockdown amid coronavirus pandemic.

Rahul Gandhi was quoting research by University of Chicago and Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy, which said that 80 per cent rural and 75 per cent urban households have suffered loss in income.

Congress General Secretary KC Venugopal in a statement on Tuesday said that the country lost nearly 13 crore jobs, with many states reaching unemployment figures of 40 per cent.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular