Defence Minister Manohar Parikar on Wednesday said in an interview that Scorpene submarine was a case of “hacking” and it’s too early to “assume” that the data and designs of submarines have been compromised. Indian Navy is already asked to submit an interim inquiry report.
“We simply cannot assume something because of the small quantum of documents which have been put out on a newspaper website without any technical specifications. We have to first gauge the quantum of the leak and find out links to India. What we have before us are just claims that thousands of documents have been leaked. And in any case, what is being spoken about are old documents, going back to the year 2010 or 2011.” Parrikar said, as reported by Indian Express.
He said he had already asked the Navy to submit an interim inquiry report on the matter which should be responded within next 24-48 hours. Only after assessing the report, any “damage control” can be sought, he said.
“We have to be very careful in making our assessments. All aspects of the matter will be examined and whatever preventive measures are needed will be taken.” Though we need to wait for Navy to submit its initial findings.
Parrikar did not comment when he was asked if French shipbuilder DCNS had already been contacted by the Ministry of Defence or the Indian Navy to ascertain facts about the data leak, sources said.
The Ministry of Defence noted that 100 per cent technical data was never left with the manufacturer and in the event of a leak, India could always exercise the option of tweaking or altering critical technical specifications. “If required, we can make some changes in design and technical parameters,” an official said.