New Delhi, April 17: The flag-bearer of #MeToo movement in India, Tanushree Dutta has slammed actor Ajay Devgn and the makers of the upcoming film ‘De De Pyaar De’, for continuing to work with Alok Nath who had been accused of rape by writer Vinta Nanda.
“Tinsel town is full of liars, show-offs and spineless hypocrites. And it seems by a large public consensus that the signpost is pointing currently at Ajay Devgn,” she said in a statement.
She also reportedly stated that it was possible to reshoot Alok Nath’s scenes once the allegations against him were made public, but they had to keep the alleged rapist in their film and rub it on not only (accuser Vinta Nanda’s) but on all our faces.
She also added that nobody even knew before the posters and trailers that Alok Nath is in the film so if Ajay Devgn and the makers wanted they could have just quietly replaced him and re-shot his portions.
Ajay had earlier expressed his support to #MeToo movement on social media. He had said that he wouldn’t work with anyone who has been accused of any wrongdoing in the future. In a Twitter post in October last year, he wrote, “I’m disturbed by all the happenings with regards to #MeToo. My company and I believe in providing women with the utmost respect and safety. If anyone has wronged even a single woman, neither ADF nor I will stand for it.”
Devgn is collaborating with Nath for his upcoming film ‘De De Pyaar De’ that also stars Tabu and Rakul Preet, and has been written and co-produced by Luv Ranjan. After the release of the trailer, Ajay and the makers of the film faced the flak of the people on the so social media for casting Alok Nath in the film.
Alok Nath had been reportedly accused of rape and sexual harassment by writer Vinta Nanda in October 2018. A case was filed against him, and he was granted anticipatory bail. Actors like Sandhya Mridul, Himani Shivpuri and Deepika Amin shared their own stories of having faced harassment at Alok’s hands.