Sri Lanka’s defense secretary resigns following bombing attacks

SRI LANKA COLOMBO BLASTS
Colombo, April 21, 2019 (Xinhua) — Security staff stand on guard outside the St. Anthony’s Church where a blast took place in Colombo, Sri Lanka, April 21, 2019. Sri Lankan authorities said on Sunday that the death toll from the explosions which shook the Sri Lankan capital earlier in the day had risen to 185 while 469 others were injured. (Xinhua/A.Hapuarachchi/IANS)

Colombo, April 25: Sri Lankan Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando on Thursday resigned from his post following the deadly bombing attacks that killed 359 people.

Fernando told an international news agency (Reuters) that while there had been no failure on his own part, he was taking responsibility for the failures of some institutions which were under his command.

President Maithripala Sirisena had earlier asked the Defence Secretary and the police chief to quit.

Total
2
Shares
Related Posts