Connect with us

World

Singapore summit: Kim commits to ‘complete denuclearisation’ of N.Korea, Trump promises security

Published

on

Kim , Trump
AP Photo/Evan Vucci

Singapore, June 12: US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un on Tuesday signed a “historic” and  “comprehensive” document. 

After Signing the document, Kim said: “We have decided to let go the past & now the world will see a major change”.

Addressing the media, Trump said North Korea’s denuclearisation process will be starting “very quickly.” “We’re very proud of what happened today. Our whole relationship with North Korea and the Korean peninsula will be a much different situation than it has in the past,” he stated, reported BBC.

The US President also invited Kim Jong Un to the White House.

When asked if he and North Korean leader will meet again in the future, Trump said ‘We’ll meet again & we’ll met many times’,

Earlier in a day, both the leaders held a one-on-one meeting. Following the talks, the US President stated it was ‘very, very good’ and they have an ‘excellent relationship’.

In a carefully choreographed encounter at around 9 a.m., Trump and Kim strode towards each other, arms extended, in the red-carpeted reception area of the grand Capella Hotel, in Singapore’s Sentosa Island, reports The New York Times.

This is the first time a sitting American President and North Korean leader have called on.

The meeting marks a dramatic shift in relations between Trump and Kim Jong, who were engaged in words of wars till last year.

Updates : 

Key points of the ‘comprehensive’ document 

  • The United States and the DPRK commit to establish new U.S.-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.
  • The United States and the DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.
  • Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work towards complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
  • The United States and the DPRK commit to recovering POW/MIA remains, including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.

-Reuters

Kim commits to ‘complete denuclearisation of Korean Peninsula’ in the joint text

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un commits to ‘complete denuclearisation of Korean Peninsula’ in a joint text.

Trump Kim Jong Un shake hands after signing ‘comprehensive document’

The world will see a change: Kim Jong-un

We have decided to let go the past and now the world will see a major change, said Kim Jong Un.

N. Korea’s denuclearisation process to begin ‘very quickly’ : Trump

Addressing the media, Trump said North Korea’s denuclearisation process will be starting “very quickly.” “We’re very proud of what happened today. Our whole relationship with North Korea and the Korean peninsula will be a much different situation than it has in the past,” he stated, reported BBC.

Historic ‘comprehensive document’ signed between US and North Korea

US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un signed ‘comprehensive ‘ document.

Positive progress, says Donald Trump after bilateral talks with Kim 

US President Donald Trump after meeting North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said ” better than anyone would have ever expected.

Entire world is watching this moment: Kim 

Speaking at Singapore Summit, North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un stated “I think the entire world is watching this moment. Many people in the world will think of this as a scene from a fantasy, science-fiction movie”.

Trump, Kim walks together

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump on Tuesday took a walk around the Capella Hotel.

This was followed by a one-on-one meeting, an expanded bilateral meeting and a working lunch.

Trump, Kim’s historic shake hand 

US President Donald Trump shook hands with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and welcomed the beginning of a “terrific relationship”.

WeForNews 

World

UK Parliament to vote on May’s Brexit ‘Plan B’ on Jan 29

Published

on

Theresa May

London, Jan 17 : The UK Parliament will vote on Prime Minister Theresa May’s “Plan B” for Brexit on January 29, the Leader of House of Commons said on Thursday.

Andrea Leadsom told lawmakers that the Prime Minister would put forward a motion and make a statement to the lower chamber on what her next steps would be on January 21, Efe news reported.

“A full day’s debate on the motion will take place on January 29, subject to the agreement of the house,” she told the Parliament.

Leadsom spoke as May met with lawmakers and opposition leaders for cross-party consultations, urging them to “put self-interest aside” and “work constructively together” to find a way forward for Brexit, following her slim victory in a no-confidence vote.

On Tuesday night, MPs voted against May’s plans for Brexit by a historic margin: 432 votes against to 202 in favour — the largest defeat for a sitting government in history.

May is currently trying to resolve a political deadlock set up by her antagonists, both from the hard-Brexit and anti-Leave camps.

One of the demands is that May should rule out any possibility that the UK might crash out of the European Union (EU) in March without any deal in place.

Britain is due to leave the EU on March 29.

In a statement in Downing Street shortly after midnight on Thursday morning, May had said: “It will not be an easy task, but MPs know they have a duty to act in the national interest, reach a consensus and get this (Brexit) done.”

The Prime Minister said she wanted to approach the discussions in a “constructive spirit”.

May is expected to hold meetings with both Conservative Brexiteers and the DUP on Thursday.

May has scheduled meetings with Scottish nationalists, Welsh nationalists and pro-EU Liberal Democrats.

The Liberal Democrats, the Scottish National Party and Plaid Cymru all spoke with Theresa May on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn said: “Last night’s offer of talks with party leaders turned out to be simply a stunt, not the serious attempt to engage with the new reality that is needed.”

“I say to the Prime Minister again – I am quite happy to talk but the starting point for any talks about Brexit must be that the threat of a disastrous no-deal outcome is ruled out, taken off the table, and we can talk about the future of the plans that we will put forward and the future relationship with Europe,” he added.

Continue Reading

World

May’s government braces for no-trust vote after Commons defeat

Published

on

Theresa May

London, Jan 16: UK Prime Minister Theresa May’s Conservative Party government braced for a vote of no confidence on Wednesday, a day after she suffered a historic defeat in Parliament where lawmakers roundly rejected her Brexit plan.

Her agreement setting out the terms of Britain’s exit from the EU, the result of two years of negotiations with Brussels, was rejected in the House of Commons by a majority of 230 lawmakers — the worst defeat for a sitting government in the country’s democratic era.

It was turned down by a crushing 432 votes to 202. The confidence vote was expected to be held at about 7 p.m. GMT, the BBC reported.

In response to the significant defeat, which had been widely predicted by political observers, opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn said he would table a motion of no confidence against May’s government.

“This is a catastrophic defeat. The house has delivered its verdict on her deal. Delay and denial has reached the end of the line,” Corbyn told the Commons, the lower chamber of Parliament, as he announced the motion, something which had also been expected in case of May’s defeat.

The Prime Minister told MPs she would return to the Commons with an alternative plan next week, provided she survives the confidence vote.

“The House has spoken and this government will listen,” she said on Tuesday night, offering cross-party talks to determine a way forward.

May delayed the initial parliamentary vote on her deal in December when it became clear that it would not make it through the chamber.

The European Union’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said the withdrawal process was “at a standstill”.

“So, in this context, it is up to the British authorities today or tomorrow to assess the outcome of this vote and up to the British government to find how we are to take things forward on March 29 towards an orderly withdrawal,” he told the European Parliament.

Some 118 members of May’s Conservative Party, including pro-European Tory MPs and hardline Brexit supporters, rebelled against the government in Tuesday’s vote. As did the 10 parliamentary members of the DUP, a right-wing unionist party from Northern Ireland and ally of the Conservative government.

The formation of right-wing Tory backbenchers, collectively known as the European Research Group, and the DUP signalled they would back May in the motion of no confidence, making it less likely for Corbyn to be able to force a general election.

If May gets ousted, then the government would have 14 days to present a new leader. However, if that candidate also fails to secure the confidence of Parliament and no viable alternatives are presented, then the UK could head towards an early election.

May survived a no-confidence motion lodged by hardline members of her own party in December. According to Conservative Party rules, such a vote cannot be tabled for another year, meaning that if she withstands Labour’s attempt to oust her, her job would be safe.

The UK is slated to leave the EU on March 29, exactly two years after May officially notified the EU of the UK’s intention of exiting the bloc by triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.

Also, there had been increasing calls for a second referendum. The UK electorate decided to leave the EU in a referendum in 2016.

Continue Reading

World

Man bedridden after selling kidney for iPhone, iPad

Published

on

Wang Shangkun
Wang Shangkun, Image: AsiaWire

San Francisco, Jan 16: A Chinese man who sold his kidney as a teenager to buy the latest Apple iPad and iPhone in 2011 is now bedridden with organ failure, the media reported.

Wang Shangkun was 17 years old when he made the decision to undergo surgery and sell his right kidney in the black market to buy the Apple products.

Shortly after the illegal surgery, he began suffering from a decreased level of kidney function, news.com.au reported late on Monday.

“Shangkun had sold his kidney to black market organ harvesters in April 2011 where he received $4,500 Australian dollars. He purchased an iPhone 4 and iPad 2 with the funds,” the report added.

The man suffered renal failure in his second kidney after having one removed. It is said that it was due to the unsanitary conditions where the surgery took place.

In 2012, a total of nine individuals connected to the organ harvesting case were jailed for their involvement. Five surgeons involved with the procedure were among those convicted, according to Newsweek.

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular