Shillong : Fresh violence erupts as Mob attacks CRPF camp

Shillong, June 4: Tension refuses to die down in Meghalaya Capital Shillong as fresh violence erupted amidst ongoing curfew in parts of the Capital town on Sunday night after around 400 protesters pelted stones on a CRPF camp near Mowlai bridge that left two persons injured.

The authorities on Monday extended curfew in the Meghalaya capital following a fight between a woman and a driver of Shillong Public Transport Service bus at Them Meteor, which led to an assault of three persons.

Prakash D, IG CRPF appealed to resolve the issue through talks, ‘We request public not to take law in their hand & resolve issue with talks’.

The curfew which was imposed in parts of Shillong since Friday was relaxed for seven hours on Sunday but the restriction on Internet services continued. On Sunday police arrested four of the stone pelters.

“Curfew has been imposed from 4 p.m. on Monday to 5 a.m. Tuesday in Shillong as there is likelihood that breach of the peace may spread to other parts of the city,” Deputy Commissioner, East Khasi Hills, Peter. S. Dkhar told.

“The situation is very tense in those areas,” he said, adding that suspension of the internet on mobile services would continue beside prohibiting the illegal sale of petrol and diesel.

On June 1, the district magistrate imposed curfew in areas under Lumdiengjri police station and Cantonment Beat House in view of the breakdown of law and order in Motphran, Mawkhar and adjoining areas following the May 31 clash.

Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma reviewed the law and order situation with top police and civil administration officials and appealed all sections of the society to maintain utmost restraints.

Sangma said the police have “found out that there are certain people who are funding this agitation”.

He Sangma had been meeting the community leaders and other civil society organizations since last two days to ensure that peace is maintained at all costs.

Meanwhile, a Sikh delegation led by Delhi legislator Manjinder Singh Sirsa met Sangma and expressed satisfaction that the “Sikhs were safe” in Meghalaya.

Shillong-based Sikh community leader Gurjeet Singh denied media reports that a gurudwara was torched or desecrated.

Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju has also denied rumours of the alleged attack.

Related Posts