Shillong violence: Curfew relaxed for 7 hours,500 people in Army shelter


Shillong, June 3: Curfew has been lifted for seven hours on Sunday in curfew-bound areas in Meghalaya’s capital as Parts of Shillong remained tense after protesters clashed with security personnel until late Saturday night in which a mob burnt a shop.At least 500 people have been given shelter in an army cantonment, a Defence Ministry spokesperson said.

“Curfew would be lifted from 8.00 am to 3.00 pm Sunday in curfew areas under Lumdiengjri Police Station and Cantonment Beat House areas to allow people to get their essential commodities,” Deputy Commissioner in-charge East Khasi Hills district, Peter S. Dkhar, told.

Dkhar, however, said that suspension of the internet on mobile services would continue beside prohibiting the sale of petrol, diesel etc., in loose jerricans, bottles and any other containers to the public by all petrol pumps within the district.

The magistrate also appealed to the people not to trust false reports propagated in social media like attacks on the gurudwara in the city.

“The situation is still tense but under control. The Army is on standby and will be deployed if the situation warrants. The district administration and the state police are making all efforts to restore peace and normalcy,” he said.

Dkhar imposed indefinite curfew in areas under Lumdiengjri Police Station and Cantonment Beat House from 4 am on Friday in view of the breakdown of law and order in Motphran, Mawkhar and adjoining areas following Thursday’s clash.

The clash erupted after a skirmish between some women and a driver of Shillong Public Transport Service (SPTS) bus at Them Meteor, which led to the assault of three persons. The parties involved in the skirmish had arrived at a verbal compromise though.

A magisterial inquiry has been ordered to probe the incident as well as to identify the elements spreading rumors and inciting violence.

Making a fervent appeal to all citizens to maintain peace and extend help to bring normalcy back to the city, a government communique said: “It has been observed that false news and propaganda played a vital role in raising tempers and inciting violence.”

“The members of the public are requested to remain calm and not to fall prey to rumors…”

A case has been registered and an arrest made in connection with an incident in which three boys were assaulted.

Related Posts