Shillong Clashes: Curfew Imposed,internet services suspended


Shillong, June 2: Curfew has been imposed in Meghalaya’s capital Shillong after the clashes turned volatile on Friday when an unruly mob of around 100 people pelted stones at police personnel in the city’s Motphran area.

A journalist and four civilians were injured in the clash.

Home minister James K Sangma convened a high-level meeting on the prevailing law and order situation in Shillong. “We are monitoring the law and order situation closely in Shillong and efforts are being made to bring normalcy in the affected areas,” Conrad Sangma said. He also urged the people to maintain peace.

The curfew was promulgated under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code to prevent a breakdown of law and order in the state. “The curfew was promulgated at 4 am on Friday in Jaiaw, Mawkhar, Umsohsun, Raitsamthiah, Wahingdoh, Mission, Mawprem, Lumdiengjri, Lama Villa, Qualapatty, Wahthapbru, Sunny Hills, Cantolment and Mawlong Hat,” said Deputy Commissioner Peter S Dkhar, adding that it will continue till further orders.

Meanwhile, internet services have been suspended to avoid circulation of unsubstantiated content on social media.

The clash erupted after a bus conductor was allegedly assaulted by a group of people residing at Them Aew Mawlong (Harijan’s lane). The clashes took between Shillong Transport Public Service (STPS) drivers and Them Iew Mawlong area residents that prompted the East Khasi Hills district administration to impose curfew in 14 parts of the city.As the matters turned worse, more forces were requisitioned and anti-riot vehicles and fire tenders were rushed to the area.

“We (police) have tightened the security all over the city after miscreants set four vehicles on fire in four different locations at Motphran, Umsohson, Rynjah and Nongmynsong,” Davies Marak, the district police chief of East Khasi Hills said.Three stone pelters’ were arrested. The police seized petrol bombs and other sharp weapons from their possession.

Trouble escalated when rumours spread on social media that the handyman had succumbed to injuries, prompting a group of bus drivers to converge at Them Metor.

Related Posts