Connect with us

Sports

Shashank Manohar re-elected ICC Chairman

According to the election process, ICC Directors were each allowed to nominate one candidate, who had to be either a present or a past ICC Director.

Published

on

shashank manohar

Dubai, May 15 (IANS) Shashank Manohar was on Tuesday re-elected unopposed as the International Cricket Council (ICC) Chairman for a second consecutive term.

According to a statement released by the ICC, Manohar was the sole nominee put forward by the ICC board, leading to his unopposed election.

“It is an honour to be re-elected as the Chairman of the International Cricket Council and I would like to thank my fellow ICC Directors for their continued support,” said Manohar, who became the first independent ICC Chairman in 2016.

“Together we have made big strides over the last two years, fulfilling promises I made to the sport when I was appointed in 2016.

“Over the next two years we can look forward to launching a global strategy for the sport in partnership with our members so we can grow the game and ensure more of the world can enjoy cricket. The sport is in good health but we are the guardians of the game and we must continue to work hard to maintain that,” he added.

During the last two years, Manohar has led significant reform of the sport, reversing the resolutions of 2014, introducing a revised governance structure, including the appointment of the ICC’s first independent female director and the development of international cricket structures that bring context to the global game and provide more opportunities for more members to compete.

According to the election process, ICC Directors were each allowed to nominate one candidate, who had to be either a present or a past ICC Director.

The nominees with the support of two or more Directors would have been eligible to contest an election.

However, given that Manohar was the sole nominee for the position, the independent Audit Committee Chairman, Edward Quinlan, who has been overseeing the election process, has declared the process complete, and Manohar the successful candidate.

Sports

IPL-Playoffs: Rashid dedicates performance to blast victims in Afghanistan

Rashid Khan’s virtuoso display with bat (10-ball 34) and ball (3/19) helped Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) beat Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) by 13 runs to book their place in the final of the Indian Premier League (IPL) where they will meet Chennai Super Kings on Sunday in Mumbai.

Published

on

Sunrissers Hyderabad

Kolkata, May 25 : Afghanistan spinner Rashid Khan on Friday dedicated his man of the match award to those who lost their lives in a blast during a cricket game in his hometown earlier this month.

Rashid Khan’s virtuoso display with bat (10-ball 34) and ball (3/19) helped Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) beat Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) by 13 runs to book their place in the final of the Indian Premier League (IPL) where they will meet Chennai Super Kings on Sunday in Mumbai.

“I want to dedicate this award to those who lost their lives in a blast during a cricket game in my hometown back home,” Rashid, 19, said at the post match presentation ceremony.

At least eight people were killed and dozens wounded in a series of blasts during a cricket match in eastern Afghanistan earlier this month.

Coming to the match, Rashid helped struggling Hyderabad post 174/7 by scoring bulk of the 50 runs in the last three overs which proved to be the difference at the end as he took three wickets which included the wickets of Chris Lynn (48), Robin Uthappa (2) and Andre Russell (3) to help his team cross the line.

“It was much-needed for me, wanted to give my 100 per cent in all departments,” Rashid said on his performance.

So far, Rashid has taken 21 wickets in 16 matches.

Rashid revealed he started his career as a batsman.

“Focus was to just believe in my skills. I was happy with the batting, it was needed in the end. I started my career as a batsman, I believe in my skills and wanted to finish off well.

“I just tried to pick the lengths, the focus was to play straight. That was the plan from the senior players. Fielding is one department where you can’t make excuses, compared to last year, I’ve worked really hard in my fielding.

“If I can’t contribute with bat or ball, I’m always looking forward to contribute on the field. Modern cricket demands that. I’m working hard on that,” he signed off.

An elated Sunrisers skipper Kane Williamson said that Rashid will now be well rested so that he is in fine fettle for the all-important summit clash.

“Rashid was brilliant, but he’s got another game day after. We’ll keep him wrapped up,” Williamson said.

“Exciting, must-win game, great to go through to the final, important to move on. As a team we fight till the last ball, showed that today. Someone like Rashid is the perfect example of that. Outstanding talent, but a team effort. Lot of the guys chipped in, great team fighting effort which is the attitude we want to see.

“One thing we didn’t change was our balance, Saha was injured but he came back… was nice to have his experience. Every one of the guys have played a huge part, whether on or off the field,” he added.

Continue Reading

Sports

Injured Virat Kohli ruled out of Surrey county stint

Published

on

Virat kohli

New Delhi, May 24: Indian skipper Virat Kohli has been ruled out of his much-anticipated first English county stint due to a neck injury.

Confirming the news, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in a press release, said the 29-year-old suffered the neck injury while fielding during his franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore’s (RCB) Indian Premier League penultimate clash against Sunrisers Hyderabad at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru.

“Team India Captain Virat Kohli suffered a neck injury while fielding during Match 51 of the IPL between Royal Challengers Bangalore and Sunrisers Hyderabad on 17th May 2018 at M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru,” the release said.

“Kohli, who was scheduled to play for Surrey CCC in the month of June, has been ruled out from participating,” the release added.

“This decision was taken following assessments by the BCCI Medical team, subsequent scans, and a specialist visit.

The country’s cricket board further confirmed that Kohli would remain in India to undergo a period of rehabilitation before he would have a fitness test in Bengaluru on June 15 ahead of series against England.

“The BCCI Medical Team is confident that Kohli will regain full fitness ahead of India’s upcoming tours to Ireland and England,” the BCCI said.

The injury concerns were raised after Kohli visited Hinduja hospital on Wednesday afternoon to visit a leading orthopaedic.

Earlier this month, Kohli had signed a deal with top English county side Surrey ahead of England Test tour later this summer and was all set to miss his country’s inaugural Test match against Afghanistan, starting in Bengaluru on June 14.

Kohli had penned down the deal with Surrey in order to prepare himself for India’s blockbuster five-match Test series against England later this year, beginning at Edgbaston on August 1.

WeForNews

Continue Reading

India

PM Modi accepts Virat Kohli’s fitness challenge with a promise

Published

on

narendra modi virat kohli

New Delhi, May 24: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday accepted Indian skipper Virat Kohli’s fitness challenge and promised to share his own fitness video soon.

PM Modi took to Twitter to respond to Kohli’s challenge, writing, “Challenge accepted, Virat! I will be sharing my own #FitnessChallenge video soon. @imVkohli #HumFitTohIndiaFit”

Besides PM Modi, Virat Kohli had also tagged wife Anushka Sharma and former Indian cricket captain MS Dhoni in the campaign started by Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore earlier this week.

Two days after Rajyavardhan Singh urged Indians to get fitter as part of #HumFitTohIndiaFit campaign, Virat took up the challenge and posted a fitness video of his own.

Sharing the video on twitter, Kohli is seen performing an exercise for the lower abdomen, calling it his “favourite core workout”.

Kohli’s video comes in response to Rathore’s earlier tweet, in which the Union Minister challenged the Indian captain, 2012 London Olympic medallist Saina Nehwal and Bollywood superstar Hrithik Roshan to join in.

Hrithik Roshan replied to Rajyavardhan Rathore with a video of him riding a bicycle and said that this was how he travelled to work every day. “This initiative makes me so proud! Bravo. #HumFitTohIndiaFit #FitnessChallenge this is how I commute to my office every day. Sitting static in a car is such a waste. Walk, cycle, jog, feel the earth, feel India get FIT!” tweeted Hrithik.

Kohli is not the first to answer the challenge. Rathore’s initiative has garnered the positive response from a plethora of Indian personalities, including Saina Nehwal, actor Manoj Tiwari, Salman Khan, Tiger Shroff, wrestler Babita Phogat, para-badminton player Manasi Joshi and many more, all of whom have shared their fitness videos on twitter.

The Fit India movement was initiated by PM Modi in March. He even talked about the movement in his Mann Ki Baat radio talk in April and released a 3D-animated video of himself depicting the ‘Trikonasana’ posture.

“Last month, I had urged people to participate in the Fit India Movement. I am glad with the overwhelming support for the movement. Many people have written to me about fitness, their experiences and what they do. I want to urge everyone to exercise for a healthy lifestyle,” he had said on the monthly programme.

WeForNews

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular