Sexist and sexual violence: at the heart of the Paris demonstration | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Sexist and sexual violence: at the heart of the Paris demonstration – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

Sexist and sexual violence: at the heart of the Paris demonstration

Using news reports, organizations this year count 137 women killed by their partners or ex-partners, compared to 109 women in 2017 and 121 in 2018.

Published

on

sexist violence protest

Paris, Nov 24 : Tens of thousands of people demonstrated on Saturday in France against sexist violence, in a year marked by the alarming figure of 137 women killed by their partners, and demanded urgent measures and a budget from the executive of to combat these crimes.

In Paris, the march brought together 49,000 people, according to independent study cabinet Occurrence, and 1,00,000 according to organizer Nous Toutes, which also gave the figure of 1,50,000 protesters throughout France, the Efe news reported.

“This protest is the reflection of an unprecedented mobilization in society on the issue of sexual and sexist violence. We feel that the level of awareness and willingness to act are increasing dramatically in French society,” said Caroline De Haas, founder of the association, which called the march “historic”.

Using news reports, organizations this year count 137 women killed by their partners or ex-partners, compared to 109 women in 2017 and 121 in 2018.

“Our country has to get out of the denial of this violence, the banalization and the blaming of the victims,”?? added the activist on Saturday, two days before the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women.

The organization has asked the government one billion euros to combat spousal violence, compared to 577 million that it has budgeted to combat inequalities between men and women in 2020.

An amount that they consider to be much lower than the one needed, and they also requested concrete measures be approved to prevention, promoting education at school as well as training specialists: judges, doctors and police.

Headed by relatives of victims of domestic violence, the march brought together a multitude of young students, families and pensioners.

“In France, these things were not talked about before. I am realizing from the #MeToo movement that I have not talked so far about everything that could have happened to me,” said Véronique Grontier, a 65-year-old protestor.

Anne and Fanny, two 14-year-old students, came with their mothers, who said they were “proud” of having added their daughters to the feminist movement.

“It affects me to think that there are women who die at the hands of their husbands,” said Fanny, whose banner read: “The hand for caresses, not for blows.”

Among committed activists and ordinary citizens, she highlighted a growing participation of men with posters such as “Down with the Patriarchy” and “Crime of Passion = Femicide”, one of the main criticisms that associations have released to the press, where in many newspapers the phrase “crime of passion” is used to refer to domestic murders.

“When my daughter was born and I announced it in my company, my classmates told me: ‘Girls bring a lot of problems.’ There I understood that sexism is a systemic problem where all men, even those I considered good uncles, have been sexists and even violent,” Cédric Temple, a 39-year-old computer scientist, said.

Carrying her little daughter in his arms, Camille Victorine, 36, said she felt “born in another world.”

“When I was little we didn’t talk about these things, we suffered in silence, and I feel that from #MeToo we can talk, because they listen to us more and more. This does not end here, but it is a great release. I suffered a lot of violence when I was young and not I want that to reproduce,” Victorine added.

The march, which covered the main avenues in Paris, also had the support of most national unions and leftist parties, with famous faces, such as actresses Léa Drucker and Julie Gayet, and Vincent Trintignant the brother of actress Marie Trintignant who was beaten to death by her partner in 2003.

Lifestyle

More people could slip into hunger as result of COVID-19: UN Chief

The COVID-19 pandemic is making things even worse. Many more people could slip into hunger this year, he said.

Published

on

By

Antonio Guterres

United Nations, July 14 : UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned that many more people could slip into hunger this year as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

He sounded the alarm in a video message on Monday during the launch of “The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2020” report, which says almost 690 million people went hungry in 2019, up by 10 million from 2018, and by nearly 60 million in five years, Xinhua news agency reported.

“This year’s State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World report sends a sobering message. In much of the world, hunger remains deeply entrenched and is rising,” said Guterres in the video message.

The COVID-19 pandemic is making things even worse. Many more people could slip into hunger this year, he said.

“The report is clear: if the current trend continues, we will not achieve Sustainable Development Goal 2 — zero hunger — by 2030.”

Guterres said transformation can begin now. Investments in COVID-19 response and recovery need to help deliver on the longer-term goal of a more inclusive and sustainable world.

“We must make food systems more sustainable, resilient and inclusive — for people and the planet.”

He said he will convene a Food Systems Summit next year. “We must make healthy diets affordable and accessible for everyone.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Indian-origin leader elected Suriname President

Suriname has had a chequered history after its independence in 1975 marked by ethnic polarisation, a coup and a civil war.

Published

on

Chandrikapersad Santokhi

New York, Jul 14 : Chandrikapersad Santokhi has been elected the President of Suriname by the Latin American country’s National Assembly, according to media reports.

A former Justice Minister, Santokhi of the Progressive Reform Party (PRP) was elected unopposed on Monday, the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) reported on Monday.

He will succeed Desi Bouterse, a former military strongman, whose National Party of Suriname (NPS) lost the election in May as he sent the country to an economic precipice.

Suriname is a former Dutch colony where people of Indian descent make up the largest ethnic group comprising 27.4 per cent of the population of 587,000.

The PRP, known in the Dutch language as Vooruitstrevende Hervormingspartij or VHP by its initials, largely represents the Indian community and had originally been called the United Hindustani Party.

Santokhi inherits an economy run to the ground by the populist Bouterse, who mismanaged the country while forging closer ties with China and Venezuela.

Speaking at the National Assembly on Monday, Santokhi acknowledged that the country faced an economic collapse and said his government will reorient policies to work for Suriname’s recovery.

Suriname had depended on bauxite exports but recently vast oil reserves have been found in its territorial waters and they could help the country tide over the economic crisis when they eventually come on line.

Till then it may need bailouts from international financial institutions and the Netherlands, whose colony it once was.

Relations with the Netherlands and other western countries had deteriorated under Bouterse, first because of the coup and after his election due to his convictions and his drift to Venezuela and China.

Sanotokhi will have to try to repair relations with the west.

He also faces the strange task of having to deal with Bouterse’s conviction by a Suriname court for the killing of 15 opponents after the 1980 coup in which he overthrew the elected government and seized power.

Sentenced to 20 years, Bouterse had appealed the conviction while he was President. Santokhi had investigated the case while he was with the police.

Suriname’s economy depended on bauxite exports but recent oil finds

Santokhi, 61, was trained in a police academy in the Netherlands and rose to be the chief police commissioner of Suriname.

He later served as the Justice Minister in an earlier administration in 2005.

After Santokhi became Pts president in 2011, the PRP began to broaden its base reaching out to people of other ethnicities with its centre-left policies.

The PRP is in a coalitition with the General Liberation and Development Party (GLDP) and its head Ronnie Brunswijk, who is of African descent was elected Vice President, CMC reported..

Suriname has had a chequered history after its independence in 1975 marked by ethnic polarisation, a coup and a civil war.

After a brief return to democracy in 1987 following the 1980 coup, Surinam had another coup 1990, but democracy was restored a year later.

Meanwhile, a brutal civil war took place between the government and rebels led by Brunswijk known as the Surinamese Liberation Army from 1986 to 1992.

Bouterse’s army brutally suppressed Brunswijk’s forces.

In a strange twist, Bouterse became President in a democratic election in 2010 with the support of Brunswijk and was re-elected in 2015.

Both of them have been convicted in the Netherlands on drug-smuggling charges but remain free in Suriname.

The NPS is dominated by Surinamese of African and mixed ancestry, while the GLDP is mostly made up of people of African ethnicity who are descendants of runaway slaves who settled in the interior and are known as Maroons.

Indians were brought over by the Dutch as indentured labourers after slavery was abolished in the colony in 1863 in an arrangement similar to that in neighbouring Guyana, a former British colony.

Continue Reading

World

US strengthening Indo-Pacific policies against Chinese threats: Pompeo

Published

on

By

mike pompeo

Accusing China of posing an “unprecedented threat” to the Indo-Pacific region, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has declared that the US was strengthening its policies there and dismissed Beijing’s maritime claims against its neighbours.

He said on Monday, “The United States champions a free and open Indo-Pacific. Today we are strengthening US policy in a vital, contentious part of that region — the South China Sea.”

“In the South China Sea, we seek to preserve peace and stability, uphold freedom of the seas in a manner consistent with international law, maintain the unimpeded flow of commerce, and oppose any attempt to use coercion or force to settle disputes,” his statement said.

He said that Washington was making clear to Beijing that its claims to offshore resources across most of the South China Sea “are completely unlawful, as is its campaign of bullying to control them”.

Pompeo categorically dismissed all the various claims China has made in south-east Asia involving Malaysia, Vietnam, the Philippines, Indonesia and Brunei.

With the failure to make progress before the November elections in the trade negotiations on which President Donald Trump had expended a lot of diplomacy and the China-originated Covid-19 economic catastrophe, Washington is on the offensive, especially because under the cover of the pandemic Beijing has become more aggressive towards its neighbours.

Pompeo has put several Chinese officials under a visa ban over Beijing’s crackdown on Hong Kong, human rights violations of Uyghurs in Xinjiang, interference in the South China Sea and trade restrictions.

He has launched a campaign to stop its technology inroads into countries, particularly the advanced 5G cell phone system, and warned of the dangers of its aid programmes that in reality push the recipients into a debt trap that forces them to hand over their resources.

Washington has imposed restrictions on Beijing’s access to US technology.

The US has also sent three aircraft carrier strike groups that include other ships to the Indo-Pacific zone in a show of force.

Pompeo said last week that the Chinese confrontation in the Galwan Valley in Ladakh was a part of a pattern of Beijing’s aggressiveness and said the world must unite to confront it.

In his statement on Monday, Pompeo said the 2016 decisions of the arbitration tribunal set up under the Law of the Sea Convention, which China has signed, should stand.

In recent months, China has sunk a Vietnamese fishing boat, interfered with a Malaysian exploration vessel and intrusions by Chinese boats in Indonesian maritime economic zone.

(Arul Louis can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter at @arulouis)

Source: IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular