Seven nations isolate Qatar for supporting terrorism | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Seven nations isolate Qatar for supporting terrorism – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

Seven nations isolate Qatar for supporting terrorism

Published

on

Qatar

Dubai, June 5: Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Yemen, Bahrain, Libya, the UAE and the Maldives on Monday severed diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing it of supporting terror groups, including the Muslim Brotherhood. The Gulf country denied the allegations.

The dramatic development followed lingering tensions within the once unified Gulf Cooperation Council. Riyadh closed its land border and snapped sea and air links, triggering a run on supermarkets in Qatar.

The Arab and Gulf nations accused Qatar of destablising the region and claimed Doha had links with the Islamic State and Al Qaeda.

Qatar called the decision “unjustified and based on slander”. “The measures were taken despite there being no evidence to support the accusations lodged against the nation,” Qatar’s Foreign Ministry said.

Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj called the Gulf rift “an internal matter” and that there was “no insecurity because of this” development.

Some 4.82 million Indians live in the Gulf, including 630,000 in Qatar.

The Saudi Press Agency said Riyadh had closed its borders, severing land, sea and air contacts with Qatar to “protect its national security from the dangers of terrorism and extremism”.

Media reports in the Gulf said the diplomatic withdrawal was put into motion by Bahrain, followed quickly by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Egypt, Yemen and Libya. The Maldives in the Indian Ocean followed suit.

Bahrain, the only Shia-majority Gulf nation ruled by Sunnis, said it was cutting ties because Qatar was “shaking the security and stability of Bahrain and meddling in its affairs”.

It said Qatar supported terrorist activities and armed groups as well as financed Iranian-backed groups responsible of violence in Bahrain.

The UAE accused Qatar of “supporting, funding and embracing terrorism, extremism and sectarian organisations”.

Both Bahrain and the UAE gave Qatari diplomats 48 hours to leave their countries. Saudi Arabia told all Qatari visitors and residents to quit the kingdom in two weeks.

UAE airlines Etihad Airways, Emirates and Flydubai suspended all flights to and from Doha from early Tuesday.

Egypt accused Qatar of taking an “anti-Egyptian course” and said Cairo had been unable to dissuade it from supporting terrorism.

Saudi Arabia and its allies announced they would withdraw their diplomatic staff from Qatar and closed their airspace to Qatar Airways, which suspended all flights to the Saudi kingdom, its neighbour.

Yemen accused Qatar of working with its enemies in the Iran-aligned Houthi movement, state news agency Saba reported.

Kuwait and Oman, however, did not embrace the Saudi decision to isolate Qatar.

Libya alleged that Qatar interfered in its domestic affairs. The Maldives expressed “its firm opposition to activities that encourage terrorism and extremism”.

After the diplomatic upheaval, the Qatari stock market dropped 783 points, 7.89 per cent. According to the Qatar Stock Exchange website, the stock market indicator fell sharply from 9,923 to 9,400, followed by a continued decline to around 9,100 points.

The US urged the Gulf nations to stay united. Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu called for a dialogue and said it was ready to help defuse the diplomatic row.

Like India, Russia too said the diplomatic crisis was an internal affair.

Monday’s move came after Qatar alleged that hackers last month took over the site of its state-run news agency and published what it called fake comments alleged to be from its ruling emir about Iran and Israel, Al Ahram newspaper reported.

Qatar denied that the comments, in which the country’s leader expressed support for Iran, Hamas, Hezbollah and Israel while suggesting that US President Donald Trump may not last in power, were ever made.

In March 2014, Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain recalled their ambassadors from Qatar for its alleged backing of then Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, a Muslim Brotherhood member.

IANS

Disaster

‘China caused great damage to US’: Trump sharpens attack over Covid-19

Earlier, the US President also lashed out at China for the COVID-19 crisis, accusing Beijing of trying to deflect the pain and carnage that the country spread throughout the world.

Published

on

Donald Trump

Washington, July 6 : Launching another scathing attack on China, US President Donald Trump on Monday blamed China for causing “great damage” to the United States and across the globe due to the coronavirus crisis.

“China has caused great damage to the United States and the rest of the world!” Trump tweeted, in an oblique reference to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Addressing the second ”Salute to America” on America”s 244th Independence Day, Trump had also said that the country was doing great until it got hit by a virus that came from China.

“The power of tariffs being imposed on foreign lands that took advantage of the United States for decades enabled us to make great trade deals where there were none. Tens of billions of dollars are now paid to the US treasury by the same countries but then we got hit by the virus that came from China,” Trump had said while addressing the event.

He further said, “We”re producing gowns, masks, and surgical equipment…It was almost exclusively made in foreign lands, in particular, China where ironically this virus and others came from.”

Earlier, the US President also lashed out at China for the COVID-19 crisis, accusing Beijing of trying to deflect the pain and carnage that the country spread throughout the world.

In May, Trump had said that he was very disappointed with China over its failure to contain the virus, saying the worldwide pandemic cast a pall over his US-China trade deal.

Trump has been targeting China for spreading the virus. Earlier, the US President was asked at a press conference if he had seen evidence that gave him a “high degree of confidence” that the virus came from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, and replied that he had, although he declined to give specifics.

Continue Reading

Disaster

Preliminary trial success, Covid vax could be out by Dec: Bangladeshi scientist

Published

on

By

covid-vaccine

Dhaka : Claiming success in preliminary animal modelling trial of Covid-19 vaccine, Globe Biotech Limited has claimed to be the first company from Bangladesh to have a Covid-19 vaccine under development. It says it is aiming for a December 2020 availability of the vaccine in the market.

They received the result after conducting the preliminary trial on five rabbits from June 10 to June 28, says Dr Asif Mahmud, Assistant Manager and incharge of Research and Development, Globe Biotech Limited, in an exclusive interview to IANS.

Earlier, he led the team to claim success in preliminary trial for the vaccine in national capital Dhaka on Thursday afternoon.

Excerpts from the interview of scientist Dr Asif Mahmud

Q: Globe Biotech is a research company in Bangladesh. Is it a branch of any MNC in the world?

A: No, in fact, Globe Biotech Limited is a Biological Drug Discovery Company in operation in Bangladesh since 2015. The project was started by our CEO Kankon Nag and COO Dr Nazneen Sultana. We have prepared 18 bio similar. We are also working on our own Nobel drug. After completing the animal trials of 6 bio similar, we have applied for Ethical Approval through our PRO at the Bangladesh Medical Research Council (BMRC) in Dhaka. We have that ability and experience to invent a vaccine against this pandemic. Under the supervision of our CEO and COO, after a Covid-19 patient was reported in Bangladesh on March 8, we shifted our focus to SARS-Cov2 and started 3 new projects. Number one — we will do kit development; number two — we will do vaccine development for the country; and in the last — the biological molecule development.

Q: Is the research by Globe Biotech independent? Or is your research done under the supervision of any other country?

A: Globe Biotech is researching independently. Under the supervision of our CEO and COO, both of whom supervised the team from Canada. They are experienced in this matter. Dr Kankon was directly involved in the HIV vaccine project. He is using that experience here. We are conducting research under their direct supervision. A 12-member scientific group started research on March 18 under the leadership of both.

We have taken some 76 genome sequences under consideration, wherein we found that a sequence (numbered 614) has a mutation point that they have used for amino acid bonding.

Q: Which method did you follow for the research you are undertaking? And how do you make sure it will work to protect people from Covid-19?

A: We went for the SPR method for the tests. Surface plasmon resonance (SPR) is a phenomenon where electrons in the metal surface layer are excited by photons of incident light with a certain angle of incidence, and then propagated parallel to the metal surface. It is an optical technique utilised for detecting molecular interactions. Actually, we have set a vaccine target. We have analysed the sequences from all the databases we have worldwide, including the sequences in Bangladesh. We set the target by our analysis. We have modified that target according to our needs. We have set multiple targets.

We have placed multiple delivery systems in consideration.

By applying the delivery system we have done an animal trial on rabbits.

By this we have got a very good antibody titer. And those antibodies have shown strong binding affinity with our antigen. We have additional candidates, some of which we have presented to the press. But the company is yet to apply for a patent or any publication; and before the patent is ensured it would not disclose the data received from the trial. We have said that we need to convert the data from the preliminary animal trial into a regulated animal trial. That we will do within the next 6 to 8 weeks. Then we will apply for Ethical Approval.

Q: This 6 to 8 weeks period, to get proof of animal trial? Or, for trial on humans?

A: No, we have already got proof of antibody generation in the preliminary animal trial. Now, it needs to be converted to a regulated animal trial. Because, for human trial, we have to submit it to the regulatory body for Ethical Approval. Regulated trials will require some further characterisation. Then, we will apply for human trials.

Q: Did you inform about your research to the drug administration of the country?

A: Not yet. There is no role of the regulatory body now. When we do a regulated animal trial, of course, we go to the regulatory body.

Q: What are your expectations? When will the vaccine be released?

A: We have already formulated the regulated animal trial guidelines and the tests would be concluded within four to six weeks. Thereafter, the company will seek Ethical Approval from the Bangladesh Medical Research Council (BMRC) in early September, when the data from the Regulated Animal Trial reaches us within 6 to 7 weeks.

And then, we will apply for market authorisation to the regulatory authority in December within three months after completing the phases 1, 2 and 3. If everything goes smoothly, we expect to be able to bring our vaccine to the market by December.

Q: If you get government support, do you think success for you can be faster or smoother?

A: Obviously! This will be the first discovery of this vaccine in Bangladesh. The first task always comes with more obstacles and hindrances. We will remove the obstacles with the support of the government and will bring the vaccine to the market in due course.

(Sumi Khan can be contacted at [email protected])

Continue Reading

Middle East

More advanced equipment to replace damaged part of Iran n-site

Natanz, located some 250 km south of Tehran, includes underground facilities buried under some 25 feet of concrete, which offers protection from airstrikes.

Published

on

Iran Nuclear Power Plant

Tehran, July 6 : A new and more advanced structure will be built at Iran”s Natanz nuclear facility to replace the one damaged in a recent fire “incident”, a spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) said on Monday.

“Necessary arrangements have been made to rebuild the damaged shed at Shahid Ahmadi Roshan (Natanz) nuclear facility and a bigger shed with more advanced equipment is to replace it,” the spokesman, Behrouz Kamalvandi said.

More centrifuge machines were supposed to be produced at the damaged shed, Kamalvandi said, adding that parts of measurement and precision tools in the shed were destroyed and damaged in the “incident”, reports Xinhua news agency

The “incident” has not caused hindrance in Iran”s enrichment work, although it may slow down development and manufacture of advanced machines in the medium term, he said.

“We would make up for this slowdown through round-the-clock work and diligent efforts of our colleagues at the organization.”

On July 2, Iran announced that the fire at the Natanz nuclear facility caused no damage to the establishment, but it affected one of the structures for storing stock items.

The next day, Iran’s Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) saidthat the country”s experts had determined the main cause of “incident” and would announce it at an “appropriate time”.

Natanz, located some 250 km south of Tehran, includes underground facilities buried under some 25 feet of concrete, which offers protection from airstrikes.

The facility is a Fuel Enrichment Plant covering 100,000 square meters.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular