Connect with us

Sports

Sehwag sends two-line resume to BCCI For India Coach Post

Published

on

virender-sehwag

NewDelhi, June 6: Virender Sehwag made his name in international cricket as a fearless and explosive batsman who paid little heed to cricketing protocol. Apart from his few marathon innings in Tests and One Day Internationals, his career was characterised with small yet effective cameos that left bowling attacks for dead.

He is lovingly called the ‘Nawab of Najafgarh’ by his fans, said goodbye to cricket a couple of years ago. But his second innings on Twitter has been no less so far.After retirement, his approach has hardly changed. Despite resting his bat, Sehwag continues to charm his fans with his frequent one-liners on Twitter that often deal with issues few celebrated people would like to weight in on. This approach on social media has served him well as he remains a regular feature in the headlines.

His fondness for the brevity of the medium seems to have hit a different level now.

According to a report in The Indian Express,Virender Sehwag had sent a two-line application to the BCCI for the Indian Cricket Team coach’s job.The application said that he is a “mentor and a coach of Kings XI Punjab in the Indian Premier League and has played with all these (Indian) boys before.”

A BCCI source told the newspaper that the board has asked Sehwag to send his full resume along with his application, excusing the former Indian opener of the earlier blunder considering this was his first application to any post of this level.

Besides Kumble and Sehwag, Sunrisers Hyderabad coach Tom Moody, Englishman Richard Pybus, Afghanistan coach Lalchand Rajput and Dodda Ganesh have applied for the job, while the application of Australian pacer Craig McDermott will not be considered as it came after the deadline.

Sehwag, who was part of the commentary panel in England for the ongoing ICC Champions Trophy, has returned to India and will be interviewed by the members of the Cricket Advisory Committee comprising of Sehwag’s former teammates — Sourav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman — through Skype.

It will be interesting to see how Sehwag will react to the situation, and also how much his two-line application for the post of India’s coaching job affects his chances to succeed Kumble.

WeForNews Bureau

Sports

India Vs Sri Lanka, 3rd ODI: Sri Lanka sets a target of 216 runs against India

Published

on

Sri Lanka vs India

Visakhapatnam, Dec 17: India on a strong bowling performance and bowled out Sri Lanka at 215 runs in the third and final One-Day International (ODI) at Visakhapatnam on Sunday. Now India needs 216 runs to win the series against Sri Lanka.

Spinners Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal did most of the damage by taking three wickets each.

Yadav returned figures of 3/42 off his 10 overs while Chahal conceded 46 runs for his three wickets.

Hardik Pandya notched up figures of 2/49 while fellow pacers Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Jasprit Bumrah picked up a wicket each.

Upul Tharanga was the highest scorer for the visitors with 95 runs off 82 balls. The left-hander’s 36th ODI half-century was studded with 12 boundaries and three hits into the stands.

Sadeera Samarawickrama gave him excellent support from the other end, scoring 42 runs off 57 deliveries, hitting five boundaries along the way.

The two of them added 121 runs between them to hand the visitors a solid platform.

Brief scores:

Sri Lanka: 215 in 44.5 overs (Upul Tharanga 95, Kuldeep Yadav 3/42, Yuzvendra Chahal 3/46) vs India.

Earlier, India won the toss and elected to field first

Jasprit Bumrah gives India the breakthrough. Gunathilaka tried to hit it too hard but his bat twists in his hands. Travels straight to mid-on where Rohit Sharma takes decent catch. Gunathilaka was in no control of that shot.

India tasted early success when Jasprit Bumrah dismissed Gunathilaka in the fourth over of the game but since then, Upul Tharanga and Sadeera have not given any chance to Indian bowlers. Tharanga has raced to his half-century off just 36 balls while Sadeera has struggled slightly with the bat. But Indian bowlers have been guilty of bowling some bad line to Tharanga which he has easily picked and scored runs off. With the game returning to the usual day-night slot, expect dew to become a major factor with the decision during toss. Either way, history suggests Visakhapatnam will see plenty of runs.

 

WeForNews

 

Continue Reading

Sports

Knee injury forces Sania Mirza to miss Australian Open

Published

on

saniamirza

Kolkata, Dec 16: Indian tennis star Sania Mirza said on Saturday that she will not be taking part in the Australian Open early next year due to a right knee injury.

“Basically I have something that’s called a jumper’s knee. So it’s extrmely painful…like I am okay to walk but it’s painful to change directions and play. That’s the biggest problem. So I can run straight but I can’t actually do plyometric stuff on it,” the 31-year-old said told reporters on the sidelines of the Premjit Lall Invitational Tennis Tournament at the Jaidip Mukherjea Academy.

“When I spoke to my doctor a couple of months ago, they told me to take a couple of months off, then see how it feels before getting into a process of either surgery or injections or whatever.

“So when I saw them, the pain wasn’t less after two months. So mow we have to take a call whether we have to do a surgery or take a couple of injections.

“So it’s a little up in the air. I can’t tell you a definitive when but it won’t be before the next couple of months atleast. I will be missing the Australian Open for sure,” Sania added.

Sania said she will need time to get back on the court though expressing hope that she will take part in the Commonwealth Games (April 4 to 15) and Asian Games (August 18 – September 2) next year.

“Hopefully I will be okay for that. I’ve always said that every time people ask me about plans ahead, as tennis players we don’t know about our health. We don’t know where will be at that point. It’s still one year, it’s a long time anything can happen. Hopefully I’ll be healthy again,” the 31-year old former former world No.1 in the women’s doubles said.

Sania was the guest of honour in the three-day event alongwith former Indian tennis great Vijay Amritraj and Somdev Devvarman.

Asked if seeing so many kids in the academy asking for her autograph and a selfie reminded her of the first time she held a tennis racket, Sania said: “I was six years old. The coach did not want to take me as I was too small to play tennis at that time. My mum had to force him to take me. It was a big argument and then he took me.

“After a month, he called my parents and said ‘you have to come and watch her play because I’ve never seen a six-year old play like that. That’s how I remember my first memory of holding a tennis raquet.”

At the podium while giving away awards, Sania wished she spent more time playing in India.

“It’s good to be back in Kolkata. when Jaidip da calls us we come and that’s why we come. I miss playing in India. I am hoping for a women’s tournament as well,” Sania said.

IANS

Continue Reading

Sports

Prabhudheva meets ‘pride of India’ Mary Kom

Published

on

Prabhudeva meets Mary Kom

Mumbai, Dec 16 : Actor-filmmaker Prabhudheva met five-time World Champion M.C. Mary Kom and called her the “pride of India”.

He on Friday shared a photograph of himself along with Kom.

“With the Pride of India – ‘Magnificent Mary’ Mary Kom. She’s every bit the magic that she is,” Prabhudheva captioned the image.

On the film front, Prabhudheva will be seen directing actor Sooraj Pancholi, son of actor Aditya Pancholi and Zareena Wahab. He made his silver screen debut with “Hero”.

The film is said to be a comedy and will be produced by T-Series. Other details are still underwraps.

Prabhudheva was seen performing with superstar Salman Khan in the capital for the Da-Bangg Tour.

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular