Second batch of foreign envoys to visit J&K today | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Second batch of foreign envoys to visit J&K today – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Second batch of foreign envoys to visit J&K today

Published

on

Photo-ANI

Srinagar, The second batch of foreign envoys will visit Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday. The visit comes a month after a delegation of ambassadors visited the Union Territory last month.

The diplomats belonging to the European Union including Germany, France, Czech Republic, Poland, Bulgaria and Hungary will be in Srinagar for a day on Wednesday and in Jammu on Thursday.

Sources say the delegation will be briefed about the security situation in Kashmir by top army commanders. The foreign delegation is also likely to meet business representatives and others during its stay in Srinagar and Jammu.

In Jammu, the envoys will meet Lt. Governor G.C Murmu. The visit also comes days after the stringent Public Safety Act (PSA) was slapped on former Jammu and Kashmir chief ministers – Omar Abdullah and Mehbooba Mufti.

Security has been beefed up in Srinagar and the areas around the hotel where the delegation of foreign envoys will be staying.

Cities

Hours before Dubey’s encounter, plea in SC apprehended Vikas’ fate

Hours later on Friday, Dubey was killed after being critically injured in an alleged shootout with STF officials on way to Kanpur. He was shot when he reportedly tried to flee, following a road accident in which the vehicle he was travelling in overturned.

Published

on

By

Supreme Court

New Delhi, July 10 : A plea has been moved in the Supreme Court seeking directions for the Uttar Pradesh government to conduct a thorough investigation into the killing/alleged encounter of five aides of gangster Vikas Dubey who might have been involved in the killing of eight policemen in Kanpur on July 3.

The petitioner also expressed apprehension of Dubey”s encounter killing and sought CBI probe into the matter. The plea was moved on Thursday evening by advocate and petitioner-in-person Ghanshyam Upadhyay seeking urgent hearing on the matter.

Hours later on Friday, Dubey was killed after being critically injured in an alleged shootout with STF officials on way to Kanpur. He was shot when he reportedly tried to flee, following a road accident in which the vehicle he was travelling in overturned.

The plea contended the debates on news channels indicate that Dubey got himself arrested by Madhya Pradesh police to avoid his encounter by Uttar Pradesh police. “Thus, there is every possibility that even accused Vikas Dubey shall be killed by Uttar Pradesh Police like other co-accused once his custody is obtained by Uttar Pradesh Police. Since, killing of the accused by the police in the name of encounter even in howsoever heinous crime is against the rule of law and serious violation of human right and this is nothing short of Talibanisation of the country and hence the instant petition,” said the plea.

The plea contended that acts of Uttar Pradesh Police/administration of pulling down/demolishing the residential building, shopping mall of Dubey and also his expensive cars/vehicles and various other movable/immovable properties with the help of bulldozer, JCB, Poclain machines is highly illegal and impermissible in law.

“Punishing the accused/culprit after his crime being proved, is the function of the competent court of law and thus, police cannot usurp jurisdiction to itself to punish the accused by killing him in the name of encounter before his crime being proved in accordance with law,” said the plea.

The petitioner urged the top court to direct the UP police to register an FIR in the incident of pulling down/demolishing the residential building, shopping mall of accused Vikas Dubey and so all his expensive cars/vehicles and various other movable/immovable properties with the help of bulldozer, JCB machines and further killing of five co-accused, who were alleged to be involved in killing of eight policemen and transfer the investigations to the Central Bureau of Investigation.

Continue Reading

India

People to watch on process of disengagement at LAC: Chidambaram

The People’s Liberation Army of China has called back troops from Galwan Valley, Patrolling Point 15 and Hot Springs, said reports.

Published

on

P Chidambaram

New Delhi, July 10 : Amid reports of second round of talks with Chinese authorities on disengagement at Line of Actual Control (LAC), former Union Minister P. Chidambaram said that people will watch the process and progress of the disengagement.

In a tweet on Friday Chidambaram said, “We are generally happy with the disengagement and de-escalation…People will keep a close watch on the Process and the Progress of disengagement…But let us remember, the declared goal is restoration of status quo ante as on May 5, 2020.”

As per reports top Indian and Chinese military officials will hold talks in the second phase of disengagement at Pangong Lake and Depsang areas in eastern Ladakh, the government had said on Thursday.

The delegates of both countries will discuss about removing tanks, artillery and additional forces in forward positions.

“The next meeting of the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination on India-China border affairs (WMCC) is expected to take place soon,” the External Affairs Ministry said.

The People’s Liberation Army of China has called back troops from Galwan Valley, Patrolling Point 15 and Hot Springs, said reports.

Continue Reading

India

Vikas Dubey killed in police encounter

History-sheeter was being escorted to Kanpur from Ujjain when vehicle overturned, according to police.

Published

on

By

Vikas Dubey.

Vikas Dubey, the history-sheeter accused of shooting dead eight policemen in Kanpur’s Bikru village last week, was on Friday morning killed in an alleged exchange of fire while being brought to Uttar Pradesh from Ujjain, the U.P. police said.

Dubey was shot twice after he allegedly attempted to flee from police custody after firing at the police team, a few kilometres ahead of Kanpur, police said. However, a medical report is still awaited.

Dubey was being escorted to Kanpur from Ujjain, where he was arrested 24 hours earlier near a temple, when one of the police vehicles overturned near Bhaunti, said police. The accused and the policemen got injured in the accident, they added.

Kanpur SP (West) Anil Kumar said Dubey took advantage of the road accident and tried to flee after snatching a pistol of an injured policeman. “The police surrounded him from all four sides and tried to make him surrender, but he fired at them. In self-defence, police fired two bullets [at Dubey], injuring him,” said Mr. Kumar.

Dubey had fired at the police team with an “intent to kill,” said police.

A stretcher bearing Dubey, with blood stains on his chest, was later seen being taken inside a hospital, where he was declared dead.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular