SC upholds minimum education criteria for Haryana panchayat poll | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs SC upholds minimum education criteria for Haryana panchayat poll – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Cities

SC upholds minimum education criteria for Haryana panchayat poll

Published

on

The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld an amendment to the Haryana Panchayati Raj Act providing for educational qualifications and other eligibility criteria for those aspiring to contest the rural local body elections.

Upholding the amended Panchayati Raj Act in Haryana, an apex court bench headed by Justice J. Chelameswar dismissed a batch of petitions challenging the constitutional validity of the Haryana law.

The fallout of the apex court order would be an amendment of the Rajasthan Panchayati Raj Act providing for educational qualifications for candidates.

Wefornews Bureau

Cities

Four men feign death of one to reach home in J&K’s Poonch

Police intercepted the ambulance just a few km before its destination and found that there was no dead body in it.

Published

on

By

daily wages workers

Jammu, April 1 : Four villagers on Tuesday feigned the death of one of them to jump the lockdown to reach their home in Jammu and Kashmir’s Poonch district, police said.

Police said four belonging to Sailan village of Surankote tehsil in Poonch convinced one of them identified as Hakim Din to feign death so that they could evade the lockdown to reach their village.

Police said the accused managed to get the death certificate of Hakim Din from the Casualty department of the government medical college Jammu.

A letter with the death certificate said the ambulance carrying the ‘dead body’ should be allowed to go to Sailan village. The letterA also had the name of the ambulance driver and the number of the ambulance.

Police intercepted the ambulance just a few km before its destination and found that there was no dead body in it.

The ambulance driver was arrested and the four villagers sent to quarantine.

Police has registered a case in this incident and have also started investigation to ascertain how the four managed get the death certificate and the letter seeking free passage for the ambulance.

It is also being ascertained whether or not the driver was also part of the conspiracy.

Continue Reading

Cities

COVID-19: Maharashtra positive cases shoot to 302, 11 deaths

Addressing the state late this evening, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray again appealed to the people to remain indoors and maintain social distancing.

Published

on

Coronavirus India PTI

Mumbai, March 31 : A 50-year old man died due to Covid-19 at a government hospital in Palghar, raising the total toll in Maharashtra to 11, officials said here late in Tuesday.

Earlier, in the sharpest spurt since lockdown started, the state notched a staggering 302 Covid-19 positive cases with the highest number from Mumbai.

According to an official, the latest victim had been admitted to a private hospital in Palghar on Sunday with high fever and coughing.

Later he was shifted to the Palghar government hospital where he succumbed this evening.

His medical reports were positive for Covid-19, said an official.

In the past 24 hours, the number of cases skyrocketed from 259 to 302 – an increase of 43 cases.

The total positive cases stood comprised 151 in Mumbai, 48 in Pune, 36 in Thane region, 25 in Sangli, Nagpur 16, eight in Ahmednagar, four in Yavatmal, three in Buldhana, two each in Satara and Kolhapur, one each in Aurangabad, Sindhudurg, Ratnagiri, Gondia, Jalgaon, Nashik, besides one from Gujarat.

The state has so far notched 11 Covid-19 deaths, including 8 in Mumbai, and one each in Palghar, Pune and Buldhana. Among them the state’s youngest victim, a 40-year old suburban home-maker with no history of foreign travel, and a medico in his early 80s, said officials.

Addressing the state late this evening, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray again appealed to the people to remain indoors and maintain social distancing.

“The ‘war against coronavirus’ has reached a crucial stage and this is the time to exercise extreme precautions. Please do not step out of your homes for your own safety,” he pleaded.

Thackeray said that the problems of migrant labourers had been adequately addressed with around 1,000 camps – up from 262 on Monday – started functioning on Tuesday.

The number of Rs 5 ‘Shiva Bhojan Thali’ meals have been hiked from the normal 25,000 daily to now 100,000, with plans to increase more if required.

“The state has sufficient stocks of foodgrains, vegetables and medicines and there’s no need to panic,” the CM said.

As per the latest official data, so far 39 persons have fully recovered and discharged to go home, while 23,914 people are in home quarantine, 1434 in institutional isolation across the state.

Health Minister Rajesh Tope said that the ICMR has so far approved starting 23 testing labs, including 13 in the private sector.

In a related development, the health authorities have sealed off the Worli-Koliwada, one of Mumbai’s oldest fisherfolk colonies which falls in the constituency of Tourism and Environment Minister Aditya U. Thackeray, after at least 4-5 positive cases were detected.

“Late last night 2 am onwards, Koliwada and Janata Colony have been sealed off further. Disinfection and fumigation is on along with contact tracing,” Aditya Thackeray tweeted.

According to officials, one of the reasons for the huge increase in cases on Tuesday is attributed to the Mumbai population density, especially in sprawling dingy slums with tiny tenements – which make up half of the country’s commercial capital.

The slums house millions of people eking out an existence in cramped quarters, with common sanitation facilities, insufficient water supply, no open spaces or greenery, making them a potentially fertile ground for diseases with little or no scope for asocial distancing’.

Continue Reading

Cities

45 from Karnataka visited Nizamuddin mosque, 1 dead

Published

on

By

Nizamuddin

Bengaluru, March 31 (IANS) One of the 45 pilgrims from Karnataka who visited Nizamuddin Jamaat mosque in New Delhi in early March died of COVID-19, said Health Minister B. Sriramulu on Tuesday.

“A religious ceremony was held at the Nizamuddin Jamaat mosque in New Delhi on March 10, which was attended by about 45 people from Karnataka. One of them was a man who died in Sira,” tweeted Sriramulu.

Sira is located in Tumakuru district, 123 km north west of Bengaluru.
The pilgrim from Sira was a sexagenarian who passed away on Friday, he was Karnataka’s third COVID-19 death.

He was the state’s 60th Coronavirus positive case and his 13-year-old son also tested positive on Tuesday as the 84th case.

The Tumakuru man returned from Delhi on a train to Yeshwantpur on March 14 and from there he took a KSRTC bus to reach Sira the same morning.

The deceased man is believed to be one of those Tablighi pilgrims who visited Delhi, further official details are awaited.

According to Sriramulu, 13 of the 45 pilgrims have been identified and quarantined, hinting that the possibility of the infection spreading to all the pilgrims cannot be ruled out.

He said several visitors from Australia, Singapore, Dubai, Saudi Arabia and Indonesia visited the Delhi mosque.

The state government is on the lookout for the remaining people who visited the mosque to quarantine and test them.


Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular