Delhi, 19 Nov: The Supreme Court on Friday stated that its collegium has denied to accept the government’s rejection of 43 names which were recommended for different high courts.
“We (collegium) have already met. We have reiterated all the 43 names sent to us,” Chief Justice T S Thakur told Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi. The Attorney General expressed ignorance about the latest development, saying “I am not aware about it”.
Earlier on November 11, the Centre told the Supreme Court that it had sent back the 43 names for reconsideration.
The bench chaired by the CJI was entertaining a bunch of petitions in connection with the delay in appointment of judges.
At an earlier hearing, the bench slammed the Centre by asking if it wanted the entire judicial system to be “locked out”.
It had also warned that it will not tolerate “logjam in judges’ appointment” and would intervene to “fasten accountability as the justice delivery system is collapsing”.
With the collegium reiterating all 43 names and since the old Memorandum of Procedure is still exist, the Centre has no option but to make the appointments once the collegium reiterates the names sent back to it.
The Supreme Court has taken the Centre to task for sitting on files for appointments to various high courts, pointing out that the collegium has been very careful in clearing names for appointments as judges in high courts.