SC asks MP govt to approach HC on Narmada compensation | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs SC asks MP govt to approach HC on Narmada compensation – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Cities

SC asks MP govt to approach HC on Narmada compensation

Published

on

New Delhi, Mar 5 : The Supreme Court has asked the Madhya Pradesh government to approach the high court for sparing two judicial officers to preside over the grievance redressal authorities for deciding compensation disputes of oustees of Sardar Sarovar Project (SSP) on river Narmada.

A bench headed by Chief Justice J S Khehar directed the state chief secretary to approach the registrar general of the high court and seek a recommendation in this regard.

The apex court expressed the hope that the chief justice of the high court would make such a recommendation after which the state government would notify the names.

“With the consent of the counsel for the rival parties, we consider it just and appropriate to allow the chief secretary of the State of Madhya Pradesh to approach the registrar general of the high court…and to request him to seek a recommendation from the chief justice of the High Court of Madhya Pradesh, for appointment of two judicial members to the two additional grievance redressal authorities.

“We hope and expect, that the chief justice shall be in a position to make such a recommendation, on or before March 8.

Thereupon, the State of Madhya Pradesh shall notify the two additional grievance redressal authorities, by issuing an appropriate notification, by March 9,” the bench, also comprising Justices D Y Chandrachud and S K Kaul, said.

The matter has been posted for next hearing to March 10.

The apex court had earlier said that to ensure “better deal” for the project-affected families, it is willing to “twist” the arms of the executive and had asked the Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) and states — Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra — to suggest names of experts who could be appointed to the committee which would deal with the issue of resettlement and rehabilitation of the oustees.

The court had made it clear to the parties, including activist Medha Patekar-led NBA, that it would not allow stalling of the project.

The issue of compensation will cover 193 villages in Madhya Pradesh, 33 in Maharashtra and 19 in Gujarat.

The apex court is hearing petitions pertaining to rehabilitation of oustees of the project.

Cities

Kangana bungalow demolition smacks of malice, says Bombay High Court

Ranaut had sought Rs 2 crore in damages from the BMC and urged the court to declare BMC’s action illegal

Published

on

By

Kangana Ranaut

Mumbai, November 27: The Bombay High Court on Friday has said the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s (BMC) action of demolishing part of Kangana Ranaut’s bungalow here smacks of malafide and was done to cause substantial loss to the actor, and quashed the demolition order.

The court also said it did not approve of authorities using “muscle power” against any citizen.

A division bench of Justices SJ Kathawalla and RI Chagla noted that the action undertaken by the civic body left hardly “any manner of doubt” that it was unauthorised.

The bench was hearing Ranaut’s petition challenging the demolition carried out by the BMC at her Pali Hill bungalow in suburban Bandra on September 9.

“The civic body has proceeded to act wrongfully and illegally against the rights of a citizen,” the bench said.

Ranaut had sought Rs 2 crore in damages from the BMC and urged the court to declare BMC’s action illegal.

On the issue of compensation, the bench said it was appointing a valuer who would hear the petitioner and the BMC on monetary damages caused to her due to the demolition.

“The valuer shall by March 2021 pass appropriate orders on compensation,” the court said.

The civic body had opposed the plea and said the actor had brazenly and unlawfully carried out extensive alterations and additions to the bungalow in breach of its approved plan.

Ranaut had filed the petition on September 9 when the demolition process was initiated by the BMC. The court had in an interim order on September 9 stayed the demolition work. PTI

Continue Reading

Cities

Gujarat: Five Covid-19 patients killed as fire breaks out at Rajkot hospital

Thirty other coronavirus patients undergoing treatment at the hospital were rescued, an official said.

Published

on

rajkot hospital fire

Rajkot, Gujarat: Five patients were killed after a fire broke out in the ICU of a designated Covid-19 hospital in Gujarat’s Rajkot in the early hours of Friday. Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has ordered a probe into the incident.

Thirty other coronavirus patients undergoing treatment at the hospital were rescued, an official said. The fire is under control, however, the cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained.

The fire broke out in the ICU of Uday Shivanand Hospital in Mavdi area, where 33 patients were admitted. Seven of the patients were admitted to the ICU, fire brigade official J B Theva said. “We rushed to the spot and rescued 30 patients after a call informing about the fire was received. Three patients died inside the ICU,” he said.

The rescued patients have been shifted to other COVID-19 hospitals, he added.

In August, eight coronavirus patients had died in a huge fire that broke out in the intensive care ward of Shrey Hospital in Ahmedabad’s Navrangpura area.

PM Modi had condoled the deaths in his home state. “Saddened by the tragic hospital fire in Ahmedabad. Condolences to the bereaved families. May the injured recover soon. Spoke to CM @vijayrupanibjp Ji and Mayor @ibijalpatel Ji regarding the situation. Administration is providing all possible assistance to the affected (sic),” he had tweeted.

The Prime Minister’s office had also announced that an ex-gratia of ₹ 2 lakh each from PMNRF for the next of kin of those who have lost their lives due to the hospital fire in Ahmedabad. ₹ 50,000 each for those injured due to the hospital fire.

Continue Reading

Cities

Delhi records over 2,300 COVID-19 deaths in less than a month: Official data

The city reported 98 deaths on November 19, 118 on November 20, 111 on November 21, 121 each on November 22 and 23, and 109 fatalities on November 24, according to official data.

Published

on

Cremation ground Graveyards

New Delhi, Nov 26: The national capital has witnessed 2,364 deaths due to coronavirus since October 28, when the daily rise in infections breached the mark of 5,000 cases for the first time, according to official data.

Amid a surge in COVID-19 cases and deaths, 99 more fatalities on Wednesday pushed the city”s total death toll due to the disease to 8,720. It was after five days that Delhi recorded single-day deaths below 100.

The city reported 98 deaths on November 19, 118 on November 20, 111 on November 21, 121 each on November 22 and 23, and 109 fatalities on November 24, according to official data.

While 131 COVID-related deaths were recorded on November 18, the highest till date, Delhi registered its highest single-day spike of 8,593 cases on November 11.

On Thursday, Delhi had recorded 7,546 cases, followed by 6,608 on Friday, 5,879 on Saturday, 6,746 on Sunday, 4,454 on Monday, 6,224 on Tuesday and 5,246 on Wednesday, according to the government data.

The total number of coronavirus cases in Delhi climbed to 5,45,787 on Wednesday, of which 4,98,780 have recovered from the virus, the data shows.

Late hospital admissions leading to COVID-19 cases turning critical, shortage of ICU beds, unfavourable weather and rising pollution are among the factors experts attribute to the spike in COVID-19 deaths in Delhi, health experts have said.

Going by the epidemiological trend, the severity of the disease is more in this phase of the pandemic compared to the last one and several factors, including weather and pollution, are contributing to it, a health ministry official said on Wednesday.

Amid a spurt in the infection tally in the city, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had Wednesday requested experts to audit COVID-19 death cases and suggest measures to reduce fatalities in the national capital.

Health Minister Satyender Jain on Wednesday claimed the national capital reported the “least fatality per million” population amongst all four metro cities in the country.

The National Centre for Disease Control in a report drafted recently had warned that Delhi needs to be prepared for about 15,000 fresh cases of COVID-19 per day taking into account the upcoming winter season-related respiratory problems, large influx of patients from outside and festive gatherings.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.