Saudi Arabia to help stranded Indian workers,says VK Singh | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Saudi Arabia to help stranded Indian workers,says VK Singh – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Saudi Arabia to help stranded Indian workers,says VK Singh

Published

on

vk singh-wefornews-min

The Saudi Arabian government has “taken serious note” of violation of labour laws by a construction company resulting in financial crisis for thousands of Indian workers, Minister of State for External Affairs V.K. Singh said on Wednesday.

Singh, who reached Saudi Arabia early on Wednesday in the wake of reports that Indian workers in the Gulf kingdom were facing a financial and food crisis, said that he had a “very good meeting” with Saudi Minister of Labour and Social Development Mufrej Al Haqbani.

“We discussed all the issues related to Indian workers,” Singh said in a statement following the meeting in Riyadh.

“It was brought out that the problem is because of one company which has not provided the humanitarian facilities as per the law of the land,” he said.

“The Government of KSA (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) has taken serious note of this lapse and has taken immediate action to ensure all camps where Indian workers were staying are provided facilities like medical, food, hygiene and sanitation.”

Singh said that the Saudi government was also providing free passage to all those Indian workers wishing to go back home.

“They will also honour the claims filed by workers against the companies which have defaulted their payments,” Singh stated.

“They have agreed to allow transfer to any other company within Saudi Arabia.”

He said the Indian embassy was also preparing lists for workers for filing claims and of those who wanted to go back to India and thanked the Saudi government “for very positive action and magnanimous attitude exhibited”.

Saudi Ambassador to India Saud Bin Mohammed Al Saty told in New Delhi that his country’s authorities have taken serious note of the lapse on the part of this one company.

“This company that has violated Saudi labour laws will be fined,” he said.

“The Indian nationals working In Saudi Arabia are very much appreciated by Saudi society and government for their contribution to the development of the country and their respect for the laws of the land,” Al Saty said, adding that relations between his country and India continue to be excellent.

He said that companies which violate laws meant for protection of workers’ rights would be dealt with strongly.

Earlier on Wednesday, a senior official of the Gulf kingdom’s labour ministry held a meeting with India’s Consul General in Jeddah.

“Director General of Branch of Ministry of Labour and Social Development in Makkah region, Abdullah Al-Olayan, held here today a meeting with Consul General of India in Jeddah, Mohammad Noor Rahman Sheikh and his companions to discuss the situation of Indian labourers affected due to their delayed salaries in one of the big companies in the governorate of Jeddah,” the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.

SPA said Al-Olayan explained that the ministry was currently providing facilities for 2,500 affected Indian workers in Jeddah, allowing them to transfer their sponsorships, and granting them re-entry visas.

On Tuesday, giving a breakup of the figures, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup said 4,072 workers belonging to construction company Saudi Oger in Riyadh were being provided shelter in 10 camps: nine in Riyadh and one in Damman.

“In addition, there are 2,153 Indian workers belonging to Saudi Oger in six camps in Jeddah all of whom have been provided food by the Indian consulate,” Swarup said.

There are over three million expatriate Indians in Saudi Arabia, most of whom are blue collar workers.

India

Dubey killing: Congress demands time-bound inquiry by SC judge

Published

on

By

Vikas Dubey.

New Delhi, July 10 (IANS) The Congress on Friday demanded a time-bound inquiry by a sitting Supreme Court Judge into the encounter killing of gangster Vikas Dubey near Kanpur earlier in the day “to expose those who gave protection to the criminal”.

“To expose the people behind Vikas Dubey will be the only justice to eight martyred policemen. It is a litmus test for Union Home Minister Amit Shah and Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath,” Congress Chief Spokesperson Randeep Surjewala told a press conference and raised a number of questions over the alleged encounter.

Surjewala claimed that the state was witnessing an unholy nexus between police and criminals. “When Dubey had surrendered (in Ujjain on Thursday), why would he try to run away? Who stopped the media vehicles just a few km from the spot of the encounter?” the Congress leader questioned.

The party alleged that Dubey was “just a pawn in the organised crime syndicate in Uttar Pradesh and the Chief Minister should tell the public who the head of this syndicate was.

The Congress leader further asked how the criminal reached Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh without any hindrance, and what all secrets he knew which could reveal the nexus of criminals and politicians.

“Why was Dubey”s name was missing from the list of top 25 criminals in UP?”

The Congress leader said that even though a chartered plane was sent to Madhya Pradesh, he was brought back by road by police and how could he end up in a TUV when he was last seen seated in a Tata Safari SUV.

Surjewala further asked how could the gangster be hit in the chest if he was trying to flee. “Also, there were no skid marks on the road at the spot where the vehicle overturned. All these circumstances raise questions,” he added.

–IANS

Continue Reading

India

ICSE X, ISC XII results declared

Published

on

By

Results

The Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination (CISCE) on Friday declared the most-awaited results for ICSE Class X and ISC Class XII.

The results are now available on the website cisce.org. It can also be checked via SMS, for which the students need to send their seven digit roll numbers to 09248082883.

The pass percentage for Class X is 99.33 per cent, while for Class XII, it is 96.84 per cent, the council said.

–IANS

Continue Reading

India

Tamil Nadu Minister tests positive for Covid-19

Published

on

By

coronavirus

Chennai, July 10 (IANS) Tamil Nadu”s Minister for Co-operation Sellur K. Raju on Friday tested positive for coronavirus and has been admitted to a private hospital for treatment.

DMK President M. K.Stalin said he had spoken to Raju over the phone and wished him a speedy recovery.

Raju is the third Tamil Nadu Minister to be infected by coronavirus.

He is also the 11th lawmaker in the state and seventh from the ruling AIADMK party to test positive for the coronavirus infection.

Earlier, six lawmakers, including Electricity Minister P. Thangamani and Higher Education Minister K. P. Anbalagan tested positive for the virus.

The other lawmakers affected by Covid-19 are K. Palani (Sriperumbudur), Amman K. Arjunan (Coimbatore South), N. Sathan Prabhakar (Paramakudi) and Kumaraguru (Ulundurpet).

Former Minister and Senior AIADMK leader B. Valarmathi also tested positive for the coronavirus infection on Monday and has been admitted to a private hospital here for treatment.

Four lawmakers of the DMK too have tested positive in the state. They are K. S.Masthan (Gingee), R. T.Arasu (Cheyyur), Vasantham K. Karthikeyan (Rishivandhiyam), and J. Anbazhagan (Tiruvallikeni-Chepauk).

Anbazhagan succumbed to the infection last month.

–IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular