Connect with us

Politics

Sack Finance Minister Arun Jaitley over bank frauds: Congress

Published

on

New Delhi, Oct 22: The Congress on Monday sought regulation of Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley for “allowing” bank frauds to the tune of Rs 90,000 crore and letting fraudsters like Vijay Mallya to flee the country.

Hitting out at Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Jaitley, Congress leader Sachin Pilot said that under the current Bharatiya Janata Party government “an unprecedented 19,000 bank fraud cases involving Rs 90,000 crore” have taken place.

The Congress leader alleged that Gitanjali Gems was engaged to retain Arun Jaitley’s daughter Sonali Jaitley and son-in-law Jayesh Bakshi’s legal firm for a sum of Rs 24 lakh. Mehul Choksi fled the country on January 4 this year.

On Feb 20, Sonali and Jayesh returned those 24 lakhs saying we didn’t do any work for them”, he added.

Continuing his attack, Pilot stated “At least 23 bank fraudsters have left India under their watch after duping the country by over Rs 53,000 crore.

“The successive escapes of Vijay Mallya, Lalit Modi, Nirav Modi, Mehul Choksi and others depict that the Modi government is not a guardian of public money but a travel agency facilitating fraud, fleece and fly to foreign shores by wilful bank defaulters,” Pilot told the media here.

“Modi and Jaitley cannot remain silent anymore, they cannot point fingers at the opposition for his own misdeeds. Corruption is writ large over this government whether it is the Rafale deal, thousands of crore becoming NPAs or the escape of Mallya, Lalit Modi, Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksia — the list is endless.

“These are the people (Modi and Jaitley) who were officially helping the fraudsters, legally safeguarding them and politically protecting them to escape and run away,” said Pilot.

He demanded the immediate sacking of Jaitley and an independent probe into his alleged “collusion, connivance and conflict of interest”.

Politics

Congress asks Centre to provide CISF security to Navjot Singh Sidhu

Published

on

Navjot Singh Sidhu

New Delhi, Nov 17: The Congress on Saturday asked the central government to provide CISF security and protection to Punjab MLA Navjot Singh Sidhu citing ‘growing threat perception to his life’.

In this regard, party spokesperson Randeep Surjewala wrote to Home Minister Rajnath Singh.

The Congress said that Sidhu has always been a high-risk target as he has held campaigns against drug mafia and criminals in the state.

“Navjot Singh Sidhu has taken on Akali Dal (Badal) and also their anti-people policies, besides exposing the unholy nexus between the Akal Dal (Badal) and certain criminal elements on numerous occasions,” the letter said.

The letter further stated that the threats against Sidhu had increased after he resigned from the Bharatiya Janata Party and joined the Congress last year.

“As a result of his highly visible profile and political campaign, he has always been a high-risk target. However, there has been a marked escalation in these threats since S. Sidhu left the BJP and joined the Indian National Congress”.

In his letter to Home Ministery, Surjewala also said that through the Punjab Sidhu has been given adequate security, they cannot do so across the country.

“S. Sidhu is travelling extensively throughout the country during elections as also on other Party programmes on a regular basis. While the State of Punjab has provided him with adequate security, Punjab Police personnel cannot be assigned the responsibility of security in rest of India”.

WeForNews 

Continue Reading

Politics

RLSP gives ultimatum to BJP over seat-sharing in Bihar

Published

on

Patna, Nov 17: Rashtriya Lok Samata Party (RLSP) chief and Union Minister Upendra Kushwaha on Saturday gave an ultimatum to the BJP to ensure by November 30 “respectful” seat-sharing in Bihar for the 2019 Lok Sabha polls.

Kushwaha said the RLSP has decided to reject the offer made to it in the seat-sharing formula finalised by the Bharatiya Janata Party for the ruling National Democratic Alliance.

“The BJP should decide a respectful seat-sharing for the RLSP in the NDA for the 2019 Lok Sabha polls in Bihar by November 30,” Kushwaha told reporters here after the party’s executive meeting.

Kushwaha said that the party’s State Executive has rejected the offer of seats to the party by the BJP. However, he refused to reveal the number of seats offered by the BJP.

Kushwaha also expressed unhappiness over the failure of BJP president Amit Shah to meet him in Delhi.

“I have twice tried to meet Amit Shah to discuss a respectful seat-sharing in the NDA in Bihar. Even on Friday I waited to meet him, but could not. I was not given time to meet Amit Shah.”

Kushwaha said that now he would not meet any BJP leader except Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the isue of seat-sharing.

“I will not make any move on my part to discuss seat sharing. Now, the BJP will have to make a move for seat sharing with the RLSP.”

He said that a delay in seat sharing will prove disastrous and costly for the NDA.

“It will be harmful for the BJP.”

Kushwaha alleged that Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s Janata Dal-United (JD-U) has been trying to split the RLSP and destroy him politically.

The grand alliance of the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD), the Congress and Hindustani Awam Morcha (HAM) are hopeful that the RLSP will join them soon.

IANS

Continue Reading

Politics

Parliament Winter Session: Congress to take up Parrikar’s health, constitutional crisis in Goa

Published

on

congress

Panaji, Nov 17: The Congress will raise the issue of ailing Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar’s continuance in power and the impending “constitutional crisis” in BJP-ruled Goa in Parliament, party’s national spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala said on Saturday.

The Congress leader demanded the convening of a special session of the Goa Legislative Assembly while daring the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led coalition government here to prove its majority in a floor test.

“We are going to nationally put pressure on the BJP and the Centre. If necessary, we will move the President of India. We will also raise the issue inside the Parliament in the forthcoming winter session and we will say that Goa is the most classic case of a fraud being played on the Constitution of India by the Governor and the BJP government,” Surjewala said at a press conference here.

“This will clear all doubts about who is in-charge in Goa and the floor test will determine as to which party has the rightful claim to head a democratic government in people’s interest,” he added.

The All India Congress Committee (AICC) communications cell in-charge said the coastal state was suffering from a “complete breakdown of constitutional machinery”.

Parrikar is suffering from advanced pancreatic cancer and has been in and out of hospitals in Goa, Mumbai, New York and Delhi for nearly nine months. He returned from New Delhi’s All India Institute of Medical Sciences on October 14 and has not moved out of his private residence for any official event since.

The Opposition, as well ruling coalition allies have been demanding Parrikar’s resignation, claiming that the administration has come to a standstill due to his absence.

On Saturday, Deepak Dhavalikar, president of ruling coalition outfit, the Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party, demanded that Parrikar step down from the chief ministerial post and appoint a replacement.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular