Rohingyas urge India to create conditions conducive for their return | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Rohingyas urge India to create conditions conducive for their return – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Rohingyas urge India to create conditions conducive for their return

Published

on

Rohingyas Refugees

Hyderabad, Oct 22: Rohingya refugees living here have appealed to the Indian government to mount pressure on Myanmar to create conditions conducive for their safe return.

Worried over reports that India may deport them, the refugees said they would return on their own once assured safety. They also want Myanmar to grant them citizenship and return their lands.

The deportation of seven Rohingya Muslims earlier this month has left refugees across Indian cities worried.

The seven Rohingya, who were held in a Assam jail since 2012 for illegally entering India, were handed over to the Myanmar government after the Supreme Court turned down a plea to stop the government from deporting them.

The deportation prompted UN High Commissioner for Refugees (Unhcr) to remind New Delhi that the international laws required nations to refrain from sending refugees back to countries where they could still face danger.

About 18,000 Rohingya refugees registered with Unhcr are living in India. Of them, 4,000 of them have found a home in Hyderabad.

About a million Rohingya reported to have fled Myanmar to escape persecution by armed forces. Majority of them have taken refuge in Bangladesh.

While thanking the Indian government for allowing them to live all these years, the refugees appealed to the government not to turn them back as they still face danger to their lives in Myanmar.

“Don’t send us back. Instead, bomb us here. At least we will have graves here. We don’t even get a burial there,” said Sultan Mahmood, one of the refugees, told IANS.

He recalls how they fled to escape persecution in Myanmar’s Rakhine state and landed up here.

“We have seen them butchering many people and setting our houses on fire. That memory still haunts us. We shudder to even think of going back there,” Sultan, who came to India with his wife and two children including 19-year-old physically handicapped, who is completely bed-ridden.

“Peace has not been restored there. How can we go back?” asks another refugee, Haroon Mohammed Idris, who along with his wife and four children arrived in India in 2012.

Haroon, who lost 20 members of his family including parents, siblings in the crackdown by Myanmar’s armed forces, said if sent back they would also meet the same fate.

Sitting in the dirty surroundings in refugee a habitation of small huts in Balapur, 80-year-old Ameer Hussain is worried over the future of his six-member family.

With his 32-year-old son in custody of Myanmar authorities for 13 years, he has no earning member in the family.

The local police visit the refugee camps and check their cards.

“We extend all our cooperation because we are neither terrorists nor criminals,” said Ameer.

They agree that the attempt by some of their countrymen to obtain Aadhaar and other cards meant for Indian citizens is wrong.

“We appeal every day not to indulge in such illegal activity,” said Bilal Hussain, who is incharge of the camp at Balapur, one of the 25 refugee camps in the old city of Hyderabad.

IANS

India

NIA court sentences IS recruit Subhani Haja to life imprisonment

Published

on

By

NIA-

 A special NIA court here on Monday sentenced Islamic State recruit Subhani Haja Moideen for life and ordered a fine of Rs 2.10 lakh for waging war against the Government of Iraq.

The court on Friday had found Moideen guilty of the charges and said the punishment would be delivered on Monday.

Among the charges that the court found against Moideen include criminal conspiracy, besides Sections in the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) also.

Moideen was arrested by the agency in October 2016.

Incidentally Moideen pleaded innocence in the court and said he has not undertaken any terror related activities and has not waged a war against any country.

However, Moideen is alleged to have received arms training along with Salah Abdeslam, an accused in the 2015 Paris terror attack which left 130 people dead.

The French police in 2018 had come to a jail here where Moideen was housed and took his statement.

Source: IANS

Continue Reading

India

SC allows CLAT aspirant suspected of Covid to appear for exam

Published

on

By

Supreme Court

The Supreme Court permitted an applicant, who is suspected of being Covid-19 positive, to appear in the CLAT 2020 entrance exam scheduled on Monday.

A bench comprising Justices Ashok Bhushan, R. Subhash Reddy and M.R. Shah said the court is of the view that the applicant should be permitted to take his CLAT examination on September 28, in a separate isolation room to be provided by his Centre Superintendent.

The bench asked the applicant to ensure that a downloaded copy of the top court order is presented before his Centre Superintendent as early as possible by any other non-symptomatic person. “On such order being produced, Centre Superintendent shall provide a separate room for applicant to appear in the examination. Applicant shall enter into centre after other candidates take entry and shall first leave the examination centre,” said the bench.

The bench, disposing of the application, observed that the Centre Superintendent may also request the Chief Medical officer of the District or Superintendent, government hospital to provide a medical staff to render necessary assistance.

In the application, the student aspiring to clear the CLAT exam said that he is presently in isolation due to his being suspected of being Covid positive. “He is otherwise fine and is fully ready and prepared to give the Common Law Admission Test, 2020 (CLAT) examination scheduled to take place on September 28,” said the application.

The bench noted that according to its order on September 21, it had paved the way for CLAT 2020 taking all precautions and care for health of the students after following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW) and Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).

The applicant had argued that as per the admit card issued, Covid-19 symptomatic candidates will be allocated an isolated room but instructions have been issued by the consortium that candidates, who have been tested positive and are under medical surveillance or in isolation will not be permitted to take the CLAT, 2020 examination.

Continue Reading

India

Punjab Youth Cong workers set tractor ablaze near India Gate, 5 detained

Published

on

By

congress

A day after President Ram Nath Kovind signed the Agriculture Bills and made them laws, the Punjab Youth Congress workers on Monday set ablaze a tractor in the high security India Gate area to protest against the contentious legislation. The Delhi Police detained five people involved in the incident.

About 10-15 Punjab Youth Congress activists arrived in the national capital in a truck to protest against the controversial farm laws around 7.15 a.m. on the birth anniversary of revolutionary Bhagat Singh.

“If the deaf are to hear, the sound has to be very loud: Bhagat Singh,” the IYC quoted the martyr in a tweet.

“In honour of the memory of Shaheed Bhagat Singh, Punjab Youth Congress protested against the BJP government’s apathetic treatment of farmers by lighting a tractor at India Gate. Wake the sleeping govt. Inquilab Zindabad.”

It also attached a video of the act that was carried out metres away from the India Gate and not far from the Rashtrapati Bhawan.

Delhi Police spokesperson in a statement said, “Today at around 7:15 am, 15-20 persons carrying a tractor in Tata 407 vehicle came to Rajpath, Man Singh Crossing.”

The spokesperson said that they off loaded the tractor and tried to set it ablaze.

“They claimed to be members of Youth Congress Punjab. Appropriate legal action has been taken. Five persons have been detained till now and one vehicle impounded. Affiliation of these persons is being verified,” he said.

Delhi BJP media cell chief Neelkant Bakshi said that he will be filing an FIR against the Youth Congress workers.

He alleged that the Youth Congress workers brought the tractor and set it on fire to spread violence. “They are trying to spread riots in the country and I will be filing an FIR to stop this conspiracy,” Bakshi added.

Source: IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.