Restore statehood: Jammu and Kashmir Congress passes resolution | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Restore statehood: Jammu and Kashmir Congress passes resolution – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Restore statehood: Jammu and Kashmir Congress passes resolution

The Congress resolution demanded “adequate legal and constitutional guarantees to safeguard the rights of locals over land, jobs and admissions in professional courses in Jammu & Kashmir”.

Published

on

Ghulam Nabi Azad

Jammu, Jan 17 : The executive committee of J&K Congress met under the chairmanship of Ghulam Nabi Azad, leader of opposition in the Rajya Sabha, here on Friday and passed a four-point resolution for the restoration of statehood for Jammu and Kashmir and demanded constitutional guarantees in jobs and land for the people.

The resolution passed by 216 members from 20 districts of J&K also demanded freeing of all the political detainees and creating an atmosphere conducive for politics in Jammu and Kashmir.

“We demand restoration of statehood for J&K,” J&K Congress President Ghulam Ahamd Mir told IANS.

He said the visits of foreign delegations and Central ministers to J&K are futile exercises until all the political detainees, including three former Chief Ministers, are released.

“We demand the release of all the detained leaders,” Mir said.

Mir said the four-point resolution is a road map that will be adopted by the party across all its forums.

“Congress will continue its struggle for the rights of the people,” Mir said.

The Congress resolution demanded “adequate legal and constitutional guarantees to safeguard the rights of locals over land, jobs and admissions in professional courses in Jammu & Kashmir”.

“All curbs and restrictions on mainstream political parties, their leaders and activists should be lifted to allow them to resume their usual political activities to create a congenial and conducive political atmosphere for a meaningful and credible political process to pave way for holding of early Assembly elections,” the resolution said.

The resolution also demanded “a special employment package for the youth, especially fulfilling the promise of 50,000 jobs, announced by then Governor in August, 2019.”

Cities

Delhi violence: Situation out of control, security forces helpless

But even after the Delhi Police deployed more than 30 companies, the situation could not be controlled.

Published

on

By

New Delhi, Feb 25 : After the death of ‘innocent’ Delhi Police Head Constable Ratan Lal, the senior officers have now swung into action. But on Saturday and Sunday, when the conspiracy was being hatched in the most sensitive area of northeast Delhi, these same officers were enjoying their weekend.

After the day-long violence and five deaths, which included the Head Constable, on Monday, the Home Minister called a meeting at night. Thereafter, the senior police officials tried to lead from the front on Tuesday morning.

Delhi Police Commissioner Amulya Patnaik visited the violence affected areas late on Monday night.

On Tuesday morning, senior officers including Special Commissioner of Police Satish Golcha, Joint Commissioner Alok Kumar and the DCPs of all the districts deployed their forces in the violence hit areas to control the situation. However, before these officers swung into action, seven people had already died and around 90 had been injured.

But even after the Delhi Police deployed more than 30 companies, the situation could not be controlled.

At the Ghaziabad-Seemapuri border around 3,000 people clashed, with the paramilitary forces and policemen trying to control the situation.

According to an eyewitness: “The situation is still tense here till now (Tuesday 4 p.m.). Stone pelting and firing are taking place interminably. The maximum number of incidents of violence, arson and firing were reported from Maujpur, Babarpur, Gokulpuri, Kabir Nagar and nearby areas”.

(Sanjeev Kumar Singh Chauhan can be reached at [email protected])

Continue Reading

India

Plea in SC claims Kapil Mishra incited violence

The apex court is also slated to hear on Wednesday two separate petitions seeking removal of protesters from Shaheen Bagh. This plea has been tagged with this matter.

Published

on

By

Kapil Mishra in Jaffrabad

New Delhi, Feb 25 : The Supreme Court on Tuesday agreed to hear a plea filed by Bhim Army chief Chandrashekhar Azad and former Chief Information Commissioner Wajahat Habibullah and others seeking registration of FIRs in connection with the spurt in violence in Delhi over the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA).

The plea also cited BJP leader Kapil Mishra’s tweet and held him responsible for inciting and orchestrating the violence.

This application was mentioned for urgent hearing before a bench of Justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul and K.M. Joseph. The bench agreed to hear the matter on Wednesday.

The plea was filed by advocate Mehmood Pracha on behalf of Habibullah and Azad. “On the night of February 23, a member of the party in power at the Centre, Kapil Mishra, who is known for making speeches to instigate crowds into violence and vandalism, carried out a pro-CAA rally next to the Maujpur-Babarpur Metro Station, which is 2 kms away from the peaceful protest that was going on at Jaffrabad”, said the plea, blaming Mishra for the violence citing media reports.

The apex court is also slated to hear on Wednesday two separate petitions seeking removal of protesters from Shaheen Bagh. This plea has been tagged with this matter.

The plea said Mishra initially gathered his supporters and started raising violence-inciting slogans. Then, in an orchestrated move, he left the place after having incited the crowd, “after which violence erupted in Jaffrabad and the peaceful protesters were forced to run for safety.”

The plea also contended that persons hurt in the attack on the night of February 23 had filed complaints with the police, but no action has been taken by the police against these perpetrators. The plea claimed unrest has escalated throughout the day with horrific incidents of violence and arson.

“As per various reports, anti-social elements from the surrounding villages of UP have entered Delhi in buses and trucks and have been attacking the residents of Delhi and the peaceful protesters. The police are refusing to register any FIRs against the attackers”, said the plea.

The plea said that open threats have given to the women protesters at Shaheen Bagh claiming they will meet the same fate as that meted out to peaceful women protesters at Jaffrabad and Chandbagh.

The plea said Mishra incited violence and social activist Bahadur Abbas Naqvi have also sought direction to authorities to ensure safety of women sitting in protest against the CAA at Shaheen Bagh and other places in the national capital.

The plea urged the apex court to provide adequate security for safety of the women at Shaheen Bagh and other places in Delhi.

Continue Reading

Cities

Police fire to disperse crowd after protesters target riot vehicle

Rioters used stones, sticks and country-made firearms as pro- and anti-CAA demonstrators clashed.

Published

on

By

Jaffrabad CAA Clash

New Delhi, Feb 25 : Police on Tuesday fired in the air after the anti-Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) protesters pelted stones on police vehicles in northeast Delhi.

The situation in the area remained tense since morning as number of shops were gutted in the fire Monday’s violence.

The firing by the police started after the anti-CAA protesters pelted stones on Vajra riot vehicles.

The police first fired tear gas shells to disperse the heavy crowd protesting near the Jaffrabad metro station.

But when they saw that the situation was going out of control they opened fire in the air.

The police had already made adequate security arrangements in the area following Monday’s violence with the paramilitary and Rapid action Force (RAF).

The police chased the protesters away from the Jaffrabad metro premises.

Around 70-80 rounds of bullets were fired by the police to disperse the heavy crowd.

On Monday, there were reports of violence and arson from the areas as Delhi Police confirmed that seven people, including a police head constable, had died in the rioting that has continued sporadically across several localities since Saturday.

Rioters used stones, sticks and country-made firearms as pro- and anti-CAA demonstrators clashed.

The number of injured persons is also piling up at the GTB hospital in northeast Delhi.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular