Rahul Gandhi to join Tejashwi's Dharna in Delhi to unseat Nitish over Muzaffarpur rape case | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Rahul Gandhi to join Tejashwi’s Dharna in Delhi to unseat Nitish over Muzaffarpur rape case – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Rahul Gandhi to join Tejashwi’s Dharna in Delhi to unseat Nitish over Muzaffarpur rape case

Published

on

Tejashwi Yadav

New Delhi, Aug 4: Displaying Opposition unity, Congress president Rahul Gandhi , leaders of the TMC ,Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and other parties will join the dharna  at Jantar Mantar in Delhi  on Saturday called by Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) leader Tejashwi Yadav to demand resignation of Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar  over the rape of 34 minor girls in a shelter home in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur district.

Tejashwi, who is the Leader of the Opposition in the Bihar Assembly, urged “all to attend” the dharna at Jantar Mantar in Delhi on August 4.”Against heinous institutional mass rape in Muzaffarpur… sponsored and protected by Nitish Kumar government, we will stage a dharna on Saturday,” Tejashwi Yadav tweeted.

This will be the first time that Rahul Gandhi and Kejriwal  will be seen together  and all political parties protesting  over Muzaffarpur shelter home sex scandal .

Yadav said, “RJD is also holding a strike in Bihar and across the country on August 4 to seek answers from Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Muzaffarpur shelter home case and several other crimes in the state.”

The opposition leader further criticised the Bihar government of protecting the accused in the Muzaffarpur shelter home sexual assault case. “Photos of top leaders honoring the accused (Brijesh Thakur) corroborate that several senior leaders are involved in this case and Chief Minister Nitish Kumar is trying to shield them. Probe was delayed deliberately to manipulate evidence,” said Yadav.

Several officials of social welfare, information and public relations and health departments are under the scanner of the probe agency for their alleged roles in sexual exploitation of minor girls at a government run-children home in Muzzarfpur.

Madhu Kumari is also among the suspect in the Muzaffarpur shelter-home case,but she is absconding since the police registered a case on May 31 against 11 people.She is a key functionary in the NGO promoted by main accused Brajesh Thakur.

Earlier on Thursday, Tejashwi questioned Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s “silence” on the rape of 34 minor girls in a shelter home.

Tejashwi Yadav, the younger son of RJD chief Lalu Yadav, said Bihar Governor Satyapal Malik has written two letters to Nitish Kumar on the crime, asking him to take strict action against the culprits.

“Indirectly the Governor has questioned Chief Minister’s criminal silence…I will awake Nitish Kumar’s inner voice and expose his fake morality,” Tejashwi Yadav said.

Eleven employees have been arrested following the mass-rape being brought to light by Mumbai-based Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) a month ago.

Taking suo motu cognizance of the sexual exploitation and torture of  more than 30 minor girls in Muzaffarpur shelter home run by an NGO, the Supreme Court has issued notices to Bihar and Narendra Modi led Central government  and sought a detailed reply from them. Expressing concern about the children and girls, the court banned publication of morphed images of the abused children.

Investigators suggested that 34 of the 42 girls examined so far were found to have been sexually exploited. Two other girls were not subjected to medical examination because of their poor mental health.

Bihar Police filed a chargesheet in the matter against the 10 persons on July 26 before a POCSO (Protection of Children from Sexual Offences) court in Muzaffarpur.

India

Opposition requests President to return farm Bills for reconsideration

After the meeting senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad said, “the govt did not have the numbers and our request for division was ignored and even the resolution against the Bill was not allowed”

Published

on

By

Ram Nath Kovind

Opposition leaders met President Kovind on Wednesday and apprised him of the circumstances amid which the Farm Bills were passed in the Rajya Sabha on Sunday. They requested him to return the Bills for reconsideration to the House.

After the meeting Leader of Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad said, “the government did not have the numbers and our request for division was ignored and even the resolution against the Bill was not allowed.”

The opposition said that the government ignored the demand for sending the Bills to a select committee.

Ahead of this meeting, the Congress and other opposition parties continued to protest in the Parliament complex here on Wednesday.

The protesting lawmakers marched from Gandhi’s statue in the complex to BR Ambedkar’s statue within the premises to register their protest while carrying placards.

Congress leader Jairam Ramesh tweeted: “All MPs of the Congress and like-minded parties are marching from the Gandhi statue to the Ambedkar statue in Parliament to protest against anti-farmers and anti-workers Bills rubber stamped in Parliament in the most undemocratic manner by the Modi government.”

Earlier, the opposition leaders met in the chamber of Leader of Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad and decided to continue their protest over the Farm Bills.

The opposition and the government are at loggerheads ever since the two farm Bills were passed amid a ruckus in the Upper House on Sunday. The third contentious Bill on essential commodities was passed by the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday.

On Sunday, pandemonium broke out in the Upper House as the opposition protested over the two Farm Bills. Trinamool MP Derek O’Brien even approached the Chair and tried to snatch a mike while citing the rule book.

Continue Reading

India

Navy’s capabilities hit by PSUs’ lack of expertise, delays: CAG

Published

on

By

MiG 29K Indian Airforce

New Delhi, Sep 23 : The Indian Navy does not have adequate auxiliary vessels, landing platform docks, fleet tankers and cadet training ships, government’s financial watchdog, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) said on Wednesday.

It also said that the navy is facing problems due to inordinate delays in the acquisition process and lack of expertise of defence public sector undertakings (PSUs).

The CAG’s audit report on Defence Services, Navy and Coast Guard was tabled in Parliament on Wednesday.

In its performance audit on efficacy of auxiliary vessels — vessels designed to operate in support of combatant ships and other naval operations — in the Indian Navy, the government auditor stated that their strength was not increasing commensurately with the increase in the combat fleet.

“In fact, it was declining,” it said.

The planned targets for acquisition of auxiliary vessels could not be achieved due to inordinate delays in acquisition process, specifically, non-adherence to the prescribed timelines in conclusion of contracts, it said, pointing out that this was principally on account of lack of expertise of defence PSUs and non-assessment of capability of shipyards.

On assessment of landing platform dock (LPD), CAG stated that the existing capability of the LPD, which is used to transport troops, defence equipment, helicopters and vessels into a war zone, was found to be inadequate to meet requirements of amphibious and expeditionary operations.

The Indian Navy had decided to acquire this vital warfare ship in October 2010 at a cost of Rs 16,000 crore.

However, even after nine years, the contract has not been concluded.

“This was due to failure to fix a specified time frame for obtaining a Corporate Debt Restructuring exit certificate by one of the participating firms,” the report stated.

On fleet tankers, the CAG stated that due to the inadequate availability of fleet tankers, the Indian Navy was thus forced to hire ships from trade and these vessels are used for providing fuel, water, ammunition and stores to the fleet at sea.

The approval for acquisition of fleet tankers to a force level at a cost of Rs 9,045 crore was accorded in 2014. However, the contract was yet to be concluded till August 2019.

The CAG also stated that Indian Navy did not possess enough cadet training ships, and “therefore, converted normal fleet ships to training ships” but the “converted vessels, however, experienced severe limitations in operations”.

The contracts concluded (June 2011 and November 2012) for acquisition of three cadet training ships did not fructify and bank guarantees worth Rs 324.73 crore were yet to be encashed.

The audit also observed that there was loss due to irregular stepping-up of pay of sailors.

System-driven mass stepping-up of pay of 21,089 sailors was carried out by the Naval Pay Office between 2009 and 2011 by misinterpreting the rules and side-lining the relevant pre-audit checks.

“The wrong stepping-up of pay which was reverted in 2017 led to overpayment of at least Rs 22.70 crore. Incorrect fixation of pay and pension is not yet completely rectified,” it said.

It also stated that simulator and training aids were procured at a cost of Rs 120.66 crore in July 2015, and certain defects were noticed in the training aids but these were not rectified.

The training aids, therefore, could not be commissioned. Training was, therefore, imparted to pilots directly on Hawk Advanced Jet Trainers in live sortie flying mode, it said.

Continue Reading

India

CAG picks holes in Railway’s elaborate plans for Kumbh Mela

Published

on

By

Prayagraj, Kumbh 2019

New Delhi, Sep 23 : The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India on Wednesday pointed out various shortcomings in Railways’ elaborate plans to control rail traffic during the Kumbh Mela in 2019.

In the report tabled in both Parliament, the government auditor slammed the railways for failing to address issues such as running of special trains, works related to passenger amenities and safety, medical facilities to passengers, and waste management at station premises during the massive religious gathering.

It said that this led to inconvenience to passengers, who were not adequately addressed by the railways.

“Temporary fencing at vulnerable locations (track and station entry point) were not completed. This led to cases of free movement of cattle on tracks and passengers trespassing. Audit noted that the Railway estimated (September 2018) an evacuation of 33 lakh passengers, which was subsequently revised (December 2018) to 45.48 lakh. Railways initiated a figure of 73.66 lakh evacuation of passengers during Mela period,” it said.

It also noted that the Railways planned 821 special trains, but ran only 565.

“A significantly higher number of passengers, with fewer special trains resulted in large overcrowding of trains and caused much inconvenience to passengers,” it said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.