Punjab CM okays Rs 55 crore for flood protection | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Punjab CM okays Rs 55 crore for flood protection – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Cities

Punjab CM okays Rs 55 crore for flood protection

The state had in June last year signed an agreement with the company for formulation of water conservation and management master plan for the state.

Published

on

Amarinder Singh

Chandigarh, May 28 : Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Thursday sanctioned Rs 55 crore for flood protection and desilting of drains with directions to complete the works before the onset of the monsoon.

Chairing a virtual meeting to review the state’s flood preparedness, the Chief Minister asked the Finance Department to immediately place Rs 50 crore with the Deputy Commissioners to carry out the desilting of drains before June 30, and complete the flood protection works by the first week of July.

An additional Rs 5 crore has been allocated to the Water Resources Department for any emergency works that may be needed in this regard.

During the meeting, discussions were also held on a set of three initial reports submitted by Israel’s national water company, Mekorot Development and Enterprise Ltd, on the state’s water situation and roadmap for tackling the water crisis.

The state had in June last year signed an agreement with the company for formulation of water conservation and management master plan for the state.

A government statement said as per decisions taken in meetings with Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) authorities, outflows have been increased to an average of 30,000 cusecs from the Bhakra reservoir and the reservoir level on May 26 stood at 1,561.06 feet, which is 53.5 feet lower than the last year’s level of 1,614.56 feet.

The outflows from the Pong Reservoir have also been increased to an average of 15,000 cusecs and the reservoir level as on May 26 was 1,346.54 feet against 1337.72 feet last year.

The Pong reservoir is mainly rainfed and has little to no snowmelt inflows.

Cities

Kanpur Shootout: Now Vikas Dubey’ wife Richa also ‘most wanted’

A local resident, on condition of anonymity, said that Richa stayed mostly in Kanpur city but kept tabs on the activities in the house through her mobile phone.

Published

on

By

Vikas Dubey and Wife

Kanpur, July 7 : Kanpur police is on hot pursuit of Richa Dubey, wife of Uttar Pradesh’s most wanted gangster Vikas Dubey, who killed eight policemen within hours.

Richa Dubey is said to have fled the house in Bikru village with her son, minutes after the bloodbath early on Friday.

Sources said that the police have recovered her mobile phone during a search of the house and it has been found that the phone was connected to the CCTVs installed in Dubey’s house.

“Apparently Richa kept a watch on the house and the activities there even when she was not in Bikru village. She may have used the mobile to delete footage.

“Earlier, in 2017, when Vikas Dubey was arrested by the STF, she had released the footage on social media in an obvious attempt to save her husband, as she pre-empted the possibility of Vikas being killed in an encounter,” said a member of the police investigating team.

The police have already contacted all relatives of Richa but she is nowhere to be found, even though she is a member of the zila panchayat.

A local resident, on condition of anonymity, said that Richa stayed mostly in Kanpur city but kept tabs on the activities in the house through her mobile phone.

“The servants and other workers were always wary of ‘Bhabhiji’ because she would check on them at regular intervals. If they lied to her on anything, she would pull them up. She supported her husband and his activities. She never interacted with women in the village,” he said.

Continue Reading

Cities

No manual cleaning of sewage chambers in Rajasthan, says CM Gehlot

Published

on

By

Ashok Gehlot

Jaipur, July 7 : No sanitation worker should be forced to enter into sewage chambers to clean the sewer lines, said Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot while addressing a video conference with public representatives and urban bodies.

The entire cleaning work should be done by machines and there should be no deaths during cleaning of sewerage lines, he instructed all district collectors and civic authorities on Monday.

Gehlot said that the sanitation workers, who have been risking their lives to keep us safe, played a strong role in keeping the city, streets and neighbourhood free from the deadly coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

The government was able to check the spread of the pandemic due to the dedication with which the sanitation workers and the public representatives of the urban bodies worked, he added.

The CM said that Rajasthan”s pride “increased” in the nation owing to hard work by doctors, nurses, anganwadi workers, police, sanitation workers and urban bodies. In fact, Rajasthan was the first state to provide insurance cover of Rs 50 lakh to government and non-government personnel engaged in Covid-19 battle, he said.

The CM also took suggestions from the civic body mayors, chairpersons, councillors and others and released two posters to create awareness among the people against the virus.

Continue Reading

Cities

Delhi’s remote teaching-learning initiative receives overwhelming response

Around 23,000 students watched the live lessons on YouTube. Till the writing of this report, the videos have been accessed by more than 1.35 lakh people on YouTube.

Published

on

By

Manish Sisodia

New Delhi, July 6 : Delhis Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia on Monday congratulated the teachers and parents on the successful launch of Delhi governments remote teaching-learning initiative.

On July 2, the initiative was announced in the wake of the closure of schools till July 31. The Directorate of Education has devised an alternate plan to reduce the academic loss of students in classes KG to XII of all government and aided schools of Delhi.

On the first day of the programme, students from KG to Class XIII received their first worksheet. It contains engaging and syllabus agnostic activities to promote reading, writing, basic numeracy and happiness among children.

Similarly, students in Class IX and X received worksheets for Hindi, Science and Mathematics. Henceforth, they will receive 2-3 worksheets daily.

Around 4.15 lakh students have accessed the worksheets on the first day, said the government in a statement. All the worksheets were shared with the students by the class teachers through a WhatsApp group created at the class level.

The students will now be working on the worksheets and share them with their teachers in the respective groups.

“For those students who do not have access to WhatsApp, the teachers will get the printouts of the worksheets and hand them over to their parents on a weekly basis,” the city government stated.

Sisodia said, “Our teachers have worked very hard in creating and distributing the worksheets so that the learning does not stop for the school students.”

For the Class XII students, shortlisted teachers of Delhi government schools took online classes in English and History.

The classes were streamed live on YouTube and students were asking their doubts through comments, which were solved by the teachers.

Around 23,000 students watched the live lessons on YouTube. Till the writing of this report, the videos have been accessed by more than 1.35 lakh people on YouTube.

Sisodia said that it is very important to engage creatively with the students on digital platforms and the teachers have created a very engaging content.

“This has raised the confidence of the teachers who are working hard to reach out to every child,” he said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular