Presidency alumni, students stage noisy anti-CAA protest | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Presidency alumni, students stage noisy anti-CAA protest – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Presidency alumni, students stage noisy anti-CAA protest

Published

on

Presidency University Protests
Picture Credit : EISAMAY

Kolkata, Jan 20 : Students and alumni of Presidency University staged a demonstration on the campus against the new citizenship law during the founder’s day programme here on Monday.

The protesters collected signatures in support of their movement “We won’t show papers”. Thespian Bivas Chakraborty and former West Bengal Home Secretary Prasad Ranjan Roy were among the signatories.

Alleging that the entire issue of National Register of Citizens (NRC) and Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) has been ‘thrust’ on the people at astonishing speed, Roy said: “People of our generation don’t have birth certificates. We have school certificate and degree, on the strength of which we joined government service. If now somebody asks me to show records of my ancestor’s land holdings, I have to say we never had such documents.

“What all is happening is unacceptable. What saddens me more is the failure of political parties to join forces in resisting it,” said Roy.

Chakraborty said a referendum or a plebiscite should be held to decide whether the law has acceptability.

“This law should have been enacted after taking the public into confidence. They (BJP) are shouting that they have got 38 per cent votes (in the Lok Sabha polls). This is not done, this isn’t democracy. You can’t decide our future just because you have got the support of 38 per cent of the electors.

“Let there be a referendum, plebiscite to determine whether this law is acceptable,” he said.

India

Protecting interests of 130 crore Indians is our priority: Modi

Published

on

By

PM Modi

Prayagraj, Feb 29 : Prime Minister Narendra Modi said here on Saturday that be it the senior citizens, divyangs or tribals, Dalits, or those who have been exploited or deprived, protecting the interests of 130 crore Indians and serving them is the top priority of his government. He was speaking after distributing equipment to differently abled people at the parade ground.

In his address, Modi said, “During the time of earlier governments, such camps were very less and such mega camps were hardly held. In the last five years, our government held about 9,000 such camps in different areas of the country because it is our top priority to protect the interests of 130 crore Indians.”

He said, “If anyone persecutes or makes fun of the disabled, the rules related to this have also been strengthened. A special drive for recruitment of the disabled has been launched and reservation has been increased from three per cent to four per cent. In higher education institutions, reservation has been increased from three per cent to five per cent for admissions. Skill training has been given to two lakh. Participation of divyangs in every field is a must, whether industry or sports.”

The Prime Minister said, “Around 27,000 people have been given equipment today. Some got tricycles, some hearing aides and some got wheel chairs.”

He said coming to Prayagraj is like a pilgrimage and always helps generate purity and energy.

Modi said, “I remember, in February last year, it was around this time that I came here during the Kumbh. As your Pradhan Sevak, I have the opportunity to serve thousands of divyangs and elders. And this time, I have got the opportunity to serve senior citizens.”

He said, “I believe that these tools are aides of your high spirits. Your real strength is your patience and your capability.

“During the rule of the previous dispensation, equipment worth less than Rs 380 crore was distributed to the divyangs, while our government has distributed more than Rs 900 crore worth equipment. That is, about two and a half times more. In the last four-five years, hundreds of buildings in the country, more than 700 railway stations and airports have been made accessible to the divyangs. The remaining ones are also being made accessible to them.”

He added, “The rightful participation of every differently abled youth or child is essential in the creation of a new India. Whether it is industry, service sector or sports, the skills of the divyangs are constantly being encouraged. We are constantly working to reduce difficulties in the lives of the senior citizens.”

Continue Reading

India

Congress attacks Centre over economy

He also raised concerns about the manufacturing sector saying it is in the negative. “This section provides jobs, and such performances are dismal.

Published

on

By

Anand Sharma

New Delhi, Feb 29 : The Congress on Saturday attacked the Centre over its performance in the economic sector. Raising the quarterly three performance of this financial year, Congress leader Anand Sharma cornered the government.

“Q3 results are generally very strong…But this year’s result has been the lowest in the last seven years,” said Sharma. Raising concerns over the deteriorating GDP trend, he stressed on the nominal GDP, which he claimed should be much higher than it is as of today.

He also called the budget “directionless” and claimed that it did not provide any incentive to either the investors or the manufacturers. “We reject the government’s claims that the economy is showing signs of coming back on track,” Sharma said.

He also raised concerns about the manufacturing sector saying it is in the negative. “This section provides jobs, and such performances are dismal.

“India does not benefit from the FDI numbers which the government is throwing at us,” he said.

He cited the NSO data to suggest that the demand has decreased.

“If government will only write off loans of the corporates and remain dismissive of the poor, the government’s intent becomes clear,” said Sharma.

He went on to allege that the present government has “ruined Indian economy”

Continue Reading

Cities

JNUSU yet to speak on prosecution sanction against Kanhaiya

On February 9, 2016, anti-national slogans were allegedly raised on the campus during a protest against the death sentence awarded to Afzal Guru in the 2002 Parliament attack.

Published

on

By

Kanhaiya Kumar

New Delhi, Feb 29 : A day after Delhi government’s sanction to Delhi Police for the prosecution of former JNU student leader Kanhaiya Kumar and others in the 2016 sedition case, JNU Students Union (JNUSU) on Saturday was silent on the development.

Repeated calls and WhatsApp messages to Jawaharlal Nehru University Students Union President Aishe Ghosh and Vice-President Saket Moon went unanswered.

Union General Secretary Satish Chandra Yadav responded to the call and targeted Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal over the decision, but maintained that these were his personal views and not of the JNUSU.

“The decision proves that Kejriwal projected just a fake image during the election campaign. The decision to not give any prosecution sanction before the campaigning ended was to protect his vote bank,” Satish said.

“Now that the Delhi Assembly elections are over, he has decided to betray us,” Satish claimed.

Asked if was speaking for the Union, Satish said, “I am out of the campus and unable to discuss with fellow JNUSU members. So these are my views,” he added.

The JNUSU has for long defended Kanhaiya, Umar Khalid and Anirban Bhattacharya.

On February 9, 2016, anti-national slogans were allegedly raised on the campus during a protest against the death sentence awarded to Afzal Guru in the 2002 Parliament attack.

The 1,200-page charge sheet filed by the Delhi Police Crime Branch named 10 JNU students, including Kanhaiya Kumar, Umar Khalid, Anirban Bhattacharya, and seven Kashmiri students as the main accused in the case.

Later JNUSU office-bearers maintained that these people were targeted on false charges and that the charge sheet was an effort by the BJP-led central government to muzzle students’ voice.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular