Potholes cannot be entirely blamed for accidents: Maharashtra Minister | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Potholes cannot be entirely blamed for accidents: Maharashtra Minister – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Potholes cannot be entirely blamed for accidents: Maharashtra Minister

Published

on

Patil, Maharashtra PWD Minister

Mumbai, July 16: Days after damaged roads in Mumbai claimed five lives, Maharashtra PWD minister Chandrakant Patil said that pothole-ridden roads cannot be entirely blamed for accidents.

Speaking to media in Sangli on Sunday, Patil stated “When you talk about a death in such an accident, you forget that five lakh other people have traveled on the same road. You can not put the entire blame on the (condition of) roads alone”.

Reacting to criticism over the bad roads on social media, the Minister said “People have a habit of changing their opinions constantly. They will like something for a while and soon pass a negative remark (on the same issue).”

Meanwhile, the Congress described the minister’s statement as insensitive.

Mr Patil was questioning people’s view of roads, but he will understand what people can do after elections, said state Congress general secretary Sachin Sawant.

“Government is not expected to run away by raising doubts about accident deaths. We condemn the minister for his insensitive comment,” he tweeted.

However later, justifying his remark on Monday the Maharashtra Minister said “I did not mean to hurt anyone’s sentiments, I had made a general statement”.

In the last two weeks, five people lost their lives because of the bad condition of the roads.

Pothole-ridden roads claimed four lives in Kalyan area, while another death was reported from Navi Mumbai.

In all these accidents, victims lost balance and fell after their two-wheelers hit a pothole.

As incessant rains for the last few days battered Mumbai roads, the Congress on July 12 launched a campaign to count potholes in the city.

Lashing out at the ruling government, Congress President Sanjay Nirupam had said: “Mumbai is badly affected by the flood. People from Shiv Sena and BJP are nowhere to be seen. So we started this campaign to count potholes and send pictures to Brihanmumbai Municipal Corp (BMC)”.

WeForNews 

India

Hindustan Organic Chemicals Limited get BIS Certification for all its products

Published

on

Hindustan Organic Chemicals Limited

New Delhi, 19the Sep: Hindustan Organic Chemicals Limited (HOCL), a PSU under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers has been granted Bureau of Indian Standards – BIS certification for all its products.

HOCL has been a pioneer in the manufacturing of Chemicals since its inception and quality is its motto since then. The company is supporting and implementing the Make in India initiative of Government of India in one or other way.

All the products of the company are widely being accepted, especially in Pharmaceutical industry where the highest product quality is called for.

HOCL is also an ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified Organisation. Now, as a proof to continuing endeavor to achieve superior quality in its products, it has been granted BIS Certification for all its products as given below.

License No: CM/L6400101486, IS 538 : 2000 PHENOL (Carbolic Acid) GRADE A

License No: CM/L6400101789, IS 170 : 2004 ACETONE.

License No: CM/L6400101284, IS 2080 : 1980 STABILIZED HYDROGEN PEROXIDE GRADE 1

HOCL, a leader in chemical industry has manufacturing unit at Kochi in Kerala. It provides basic organic chemicals essential for vital industries like Drugs and pharmaceuticals, resins and laminates, dyes and dyes intermediates, rubber chemicals, paints, pesticides and Textile industry,virtually touching every facets of life. It is also manufacturing sanitizers in this period of COVID pandemic.

HOCL incorporated in 1960 as the first endeavor to indigenize manufacture of basic chemical, attaining self-reliance and reduce country’s dependence on imports of vital organic chemicals.

Continue Reading

India

Bombay HC upholds acquittal of six in 2009 Goa blast case

Published

on

By

bombay-high-court

 The Goa bench of the Bombay High Court on Saturday upheld the acquittal of six persons accused of being linked to the Goa-headquartered Sanatan Sanstha, and who were charged by the NIA for a failed bomb blast plot in South Goa’s Margao town in 2009.

Speaking to reporters here, National Investigation Agency (NIA) counsel Pravin Faldessai said that Vinay Talekar, Dhananjay Ashtekar, Prashant Ashtekar, Vinayak Patil, Prashant Juvekar and Dilip Mazgaonkar were acquitted getting “the benefit of the doubt”.

“Today, the HC passed a judgment on an NIA appeal against the acquittal order passed by a Special Judge in the blast case. The High Court considered (the appeal) in larger detail and held that the accused be given the benefit of the doubt,” Faldessai said.

On October 16, 2009, accused Malgonda Patil and Yogesh Naik ferrying an IED to a Diwali pandal in Margao, 30 km from here, were killed when the improvised explosive device exploded accidentally.

Barring Naik, all the other accused hail from Maharashtra, and were regular visitors to the Sanatan Sanstha ashram in the temple town of Ponda, 30 km from Panaji.

The case was initially investigated by the Goa Police Crime Branch but later handed over to the NIA.

In all, 11 persons were accused of participating in the conspiracy, including the two deceased, even as three persons are still absconding.

On December 31, 2013, a special trial court in Goa acquitted Talekar, Dhananjay and Prashant Ashtekar, Patil, Juvekar and Mazgaonkar, while accusing the NIA of “manipulating” facts to implicate Sanatan Sanstha in the case.

In their order on Saturday, High Court Justices MS Sonak and MS Jawalkar expunged the remarks of the special court regarding the alleged mala-fide intentions of the central agency, the NIA counsel said.

“The Special Judge had said that there were mala fides by the investigating agency… those remarks are now expunged,” Faldessai said.

“There was one major circumstance which we had to prove — this particular Sanstha had the motive to conduct this blast to spread terror in Goa and across India. But the court said there was no proof…,” the counsel said.

Continue Reading

India

Delhi riots: Opposition leaders meet President, demands independent probe into police role

Published

on

Delhi Roits Judicial Enquiry

Opposition leaders met President Ram Nath Kovind on Thursday and demanded an independent probe by a commission headed by a retired or sitting judge into the role of the Delhi police in the February riots and the ongoing probe into the incident.

Congress Treasurer and MP Ahmed Patel, CPI(M) general secretary Sitaram Yechury, CPI general secretary D. Raja, DMK leader and MP Kanimozhi and RJD leader and MP Manoj K Jha were part of the delegation.

The Delhi police have set up special investigation teams, and its Special Cell has been probing the aspect of conspiracy behind the riots, in which 53 people lost their lives.

In a memorandum, the leaders voiced concern over the probe being conducted by the police. “The entire investigation appears to be aimed at arriving at a pre-meditated theory about a conspiracy propounded by the Home Minister in the Lok Sabha in March 2020, before any investigation had even begun into the riots,” it said. The memorandum said the investigation by the police did not inspire confidence as there were serious questions about its “impartiality”.

“A credible and unbiased probe is crucial to restore public trust in the law and order machinery of the State. The investigation cannot be allowed to become a fishing and roving expedition aimed at causing a chilling effect on dissent and protest in the country. We, therefore, urge you to call upon the Government of India to institute an inquiry into this investigation under the Commission of Inquiry Act, 1952, headed by sitting/retired judge(s),” the memorandum said.

It criticised the police for the reference made to Mr. Yechury in a supplementary charge sheet, citing disclosure statements made by the accused. “This is a disturbing trend that raises serious questions over the manner of such investigations,” it said.

The leaders said there were several publicly documented accounts and videos of the police being “complicit in the violence, directing mobs pelting stones or looking the other way when mobs were indulging in violence”. “During the violence, a disturbing video emerged showing uniformed policemen assaulting young men lying injured on the road and forcing them to sing the national anthem while repeatedly beating them with lathis. One of the men, Faizan, succumbed to his injuries a few days later,” the memorandum said. It also highlighted other such instances, including the one in which the “DCP stood quietly next to a BJP leader who was instigating violence against the protestors, warning that if they did not vacate the road, he would do it himself”. The memorandum said that despite several complaints about the involvement of police officials, no action had been taken.

The leaders also criticised the police for being a mute spectator to the alleged hate speech of BJP leaders and turning a blind eye to the role of its own personnel in the violence. The probe appeared to be pursuing a line of inquiry “criminalising the protests against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA) and portraying them as a conspiracy which resulted in the riots in Delhi,” they said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.