Connect with us

Africa

Possible MH370 wreckage found on Tanzanian island

Published

on

Aircraft wreckage suspected to be from the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has been found on an island off Tanzania in East Africa, an Australian official said.

Federal Transport Minister Darren Chester issued a statement on Friday about the debris — part of an aircraft wing — found by locals on Pemba island, more than 6,000 km from the current search zone, news.com.au reported.

Pictures posted by Jamii Forums on Twitter showed the part is larger than anything else found to date that has been determined to “almost certainly” come from MH370 that vanished on March 8, 2014 on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people onboard.

Chester said the Australian Transport Safety Bureau was seeking further information on the debris to ascertain whether it was part of the Malaysia Airlines’ aircraft.

If it is confirmed as being from MH370, it will be the furtherest north debris has been found to date.

Other items have been discovered on Reunion Island, Mauritius, Mozambique and South Africa.

Debris found in Madagascar earlier this month is still awaiting retrieval by Malaysia for examination.

Drift modelling undertaken by University of Western Australia oceanographer Charitha Pattiaratchi showed it was possible debris from MH370 could have been carried as far as Pemba island.

Professor Pattiaratchi said it was more likely that debris would come up on an island than a beach “because an island collects things”.

He said it was completely plausible that a section of wing from MH370 had now washed up on Pemba island, from the southern Indian Ocean.

Chester said officials from Malaysia, Australia and China met this week to discuss “a range of matters related to the search”.

“Discussions were productive and will allow each country to brief their respective Minister ahead of a Ministerial Tripartite Meeting proposed for late July,” he added.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Africa

South African President Jacob Zuma resigns

Zuma, who has been in power since 2009, faces numerous allegations of corruption.

Published

on

Jacob Zuma

Johannesburg, Feb 15 : South African President Jacob Zuma on Wednesday resigned from his office with immediate effect making the announcement in a televised address to the nation.

The 75-year-old has been under increasing pressure to give way to Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa, the ANC’s new leader.

Zuma, who has been in power since 2009, faces numerous allegations of corruption.

His resignation came at the end of a long speech in which he said he disagreed with the way the ANC had acted towards him.

According to BBC, he said he did not fear a motion of no-confidence, adding: “I have served the people of South Africa to the best of my ability.”

Zuma also said that violence and division within the ANC had influenced his decision to step down.

“No life should be lost in my name and also the ANC should never be divided in my name. I have therefore come to the decision to resign as president of the republic with immediate effect,” he was quoted as saying.

“Even though I disagree with the decision of the leadership of my organisation, I have always been a disciplined member of the ANC.

“As I leave I will continue to serve the people of South Africa as well as the ANC, the organisation I have served… all of my life.”

Meanwhile, the ANC said Zuma’s resignation provided “certainty to the people of South Africa”.

Deputy Secretary General Jessie Duarte told reporters: “President Zuma remains a principled member of the ANC. The ANC wants to salute the outstanding contribution he has made.”

Continue Reading

Africa

South Africa’s graft-tainted president announces anti-corruption probe

Published

on

Jacob Zuma

JOHANNESBURG – South Africa’s president says he is appointing a commission of inquiry to look into corruption allegations that have led to calls for his ouster and weakened the ruling party.

President Jacob Zuma’s statement Tuesday night says “this matter cannot wait any longer” and that any further delay will make the public doubt the government’s revolve to fight graft.

The announcement comes amid opposition calls for Zuma’s impeachment and as the ruling African National Congress holds a high-level meeting this week, with the president’s fate a certain topic of discussion.

Rising public frustration over multiple corruption allegations against Zuma have led some in the ANC to call for him to step aside so the party can be in a stronger position to contest elections in 2019.

Continue Reading

Africa

Kenyan Supreme Court Cancels Presidential Election Due To Irregularities

Published

on

Supreme court of Kenya

Kenyan Supreme Court on Friday, September 1, nullified the result of the August 8 presidential election which was won by President Uhuru Kenyatta.

The Presiding Judge, Justice David Maraga said the electoral board committed “irregularities and illegalities” during last month’s vote, harming the integrity of the election.

The East Africa’s apex court also ordered another presidential election to be held within 60 days, with the nullification becoming the first in the history of Kenya.

“The declaration [of Kenyatta’s win] is invalid, null and void,” said Judge David Maraga, announcing the verdict of four out of the six judges.

The Judge added that the election commission “failed, neglected or refused to conduct the presidential election in a manner consistent with the dictates of the constitution”.

Reacting to the judgment, Kenyatta’s attorneys said the court’s nullification was a “very political decision” but assured that they will live with the decision.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular